Scale to weigh cat

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
What do others use to weigh their cats? I prefer to not just go with the bathroom scale, weigh me then weigh the cat and me method, I want a bit more precise measurement then rounded to the nearest pound. I've been using a small postal/kitchen scale to weigh the kittens as they are growing, but they are almost 6 months now and rapidly approaching the 11lb max weigh limit (2 are over 9lbs). It would also be nice to be able to weigh my other cats too, most of which are over 11 lbs.
I also don't have much to spend, $20-30 would be nice but definitely under $50. I've thought about getting a luggage scale, put the cat in the carrier and hook the scale on to the handle to weigh, but I'm not sure how good those are or if that would even work if the cat doesn't sit still in the carrier. Thoughts?

Silver Crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
get fishing scale from the fishing tackle shop (good quality one and they quite cheap)..put cat into carrier and hook scale onto handle of carrier and lift up...thats what my niece does when she does home visits ( she is a vet)

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use The First Years American Red Cross baby scale. It had a nice and smooth surface so the cats actually like laying on it on their own.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I bought a pet digital scale that is transferrable to use as a human scale - all you have to do is remove the tray. After several times of trying to weigh Feeby on it, I gave up. Took the tray off and now weigh me with and without her. It claims to have an accuracy within 2 oz. The scale blinks the weight when it is locked in. It does cost just a bit more than you wanted, but it has free shipping from Amazon, if that counts for anything.
https://www.amazon.com/BYKAZATY-Measure-Multi-Function-Infant-Digital/dp/B07P1G63LZ/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?hvadid=3527169449&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvqmt=e&keywords=pet+scale&qid=1581111717&sr=8-1-pons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFXTVFGU1pON1VITzQmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTA0OTczNDgzVUE5OEowUEtJQVZHJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA1Mjg3NTkxOFA1NlNVMlFEN1BaJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Attachments

Last edited:

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I once got a kitchen scale that had a 15 lb limit and super glued a plastic bin to the top. Took a little finessing, but it was cheaper than other options and it worked great.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The baby scales are way out of my price range, I am in Canada and both of those suggested so far would come up to $100 or more :cringe:. Even cheap ones seem to start around the $40-50 mark. (I swear everything up here has to cost twice as much :sigh:)

The fish scale might work though, might be more accurate then the luggage ones too. :think:

Oh, I should add I have a Maine coon, lol, he is about 16lbs, and I'm not having luck finding cheap kitchen scaled that measure very high, 11 or 12lb seems to be the norm. Also mostly looking on Amazon.ca since I have about a $30 gift card balance.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There was a recent thread on this topic :)

A baby scale works great. Maybe you can find a used one at a yard sale or thrift shop? Lurk around online parenting groups in your area and see if anyone has one they no longer need?

kittenmittens84

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Check Facebook marketplace, Craigslist, or Nextdoor for baby scales. I have the same one FeebysOwner FeebysOwner posted, but I bought it off FB Marketplace for $10! It’s a weird made up chinese amazon brand but it works fine.