Scabs on cats ears

Cst238

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone,

So, my cat had small scabs on his ears. The vet looked at them last week and took some cells. She check it under a microscope for cancer. The vet stated she didn't see anything abnormal but will want him back next week to look over them again.

I've been away for a few days and had a family member watching the cats. I've noticed the scabs have become much better and nastier looking. My cat it's eating and all is normal, except for the ears.

The kitten we resucred did have ringworm and was treated as required. Could his ears potentially be ringworm?

It's currently the weekend and my vet isn't open again until Tuesday. I wanted to see if anyone can provide advice on if I should seek emergency vet care or wait until Monday?

20230125_064701.jpg

This was his ear on Wednesday morning.

20230128_130229.jpg
20230128_132241.jpg

And these two pictures are his ear today in different lighting and with the bottom one after cleaning with some saline solution

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cst238

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Much bigger and nastier ** ^^ sorry

kaytekat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, I am not sure it is ringworm or not but i am suspicious of it bc you mentioned a kitten had it. Transmission is possible both from cat to cat and from spores hanging out in the environment. I am battling it now and it is horrible. If the cat is otherwise acting and eating normal i would say you can wait til Tuesday for the vet but you may want to keep the cat in a bathroom or otherwise away from other animals just in case it is something transmissible. Best of luck. .

kaytekat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also How long ago was kitten treated? Did they do cultures to insure they were negative? I bought a small “woods lamp” a special black light flashlight with a UV of 365. When shone in a dark room on a cat with ringworm the spots will glow bright green. It is not 100% accurate but is is a great guide. This is how I detected my 2nd foster kitten has it today. 😭

Cst238

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for the reassurance! Its horrible with pets and vets closing on weekends. Makes it hard to decide what to do.

Ringworm is absolutely horrible, isn't it?! The kitten finished his treatment about a mouth ago. They didn't do a retest, but everything had cleared up really well. We had him on daily oral medication and a medicated bath every other day. We would scrub and disinfectant his room every other day in line with the bath. And we also washed all bedding in anti fungus detergent too.

Worst part, both my partner and I got ringworm as well. So, we resuced the kitten almost dead from the streets. But we weren't able to get him into the vet for close to a week after we got him. We had absolutely no idea what ringworm even was until the vet visit. It's been an absolute nightmare for sure.

But as the vet stated, once you treat with medication and continue the correct hygiene (washing, disinfecting etc), there isn't much else you can do. The spores will stay in the environment for up to 18 months. The vets words when I was worried about further transmission after treatment "the only way to destroy the possibility of all spores is to set a flame touch across your whole house"

kaytekat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wow. Bless you for rescuing the baby.

I’ve thought about a blow torch for my house except I’m in a townhome and dont think my neighbors would appreciate it. 😂

My rescue group is so dismissive about this being a pain in the butt issue. I know ringworm isn’t fatal to me or kitty but it is a tremendous time and money suck to keep things relatively clean.

Did they have you dose your kitten every week or did you have to take a week off in between? I’ve seen a couple of posts saying the Intrafungal isnt as harsh on liver and pulsing the dose (every other week) isn’t necessary.

kaytekat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What laundry detergent did you use? Did you add bleach also? Thanks.

Cst238

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yeah it really truly is a pain in the butt. In relation to the dosage question, not sure what type of medication, but he was on a daily tablet. We would dissolve it in water and he would get 1ml each night.

We would also give I'm a bath with the special shampoo twice as week. We would wash him, then let it set for 10mins and wash it off. Horrible time, the poor kitten hated it.

Not sure about the liver part but?? I wasn't told anything about that? :confused:

We didn't add bleach, just this stuff. It goes into the final rinse cycle. Hopefully they sell it where you live. We would just add it to every wash, even our clothes, towel and bedsheets.

https://www.amazon.com.au/Canesten-Antibacterial-Antifungal-Hygiene-Laundry/dp/B07WJZJLQD

Cst238

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update for everyone!

So the vet has taken a sample to check for ringworm. However, two vets have examined him and believe the cause most likely is solar demerits.

I'm shocked because he is an indoor only cat and only gets the very small patch of sun either first thing in the morning or late afternoon.

Moving forward, I'm going to be putting up a frosted window tint on the morning sun window and only let him on the patio when there is no sun. Oh, and kitty sunscreen, of course!

The vet said as long as I reduce the sun exposure now, we should be able to reduce the chance of cancer in the ears.

Should get the results for the ringworm back in 7-10 days