Scabs Around Mouth :(

OliviaBMC

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
View media item 419375View media item 419377View media item 419376I have recently gotten a new kitten - he's orange and about 6 weeks old. He has developed dark crusty spots around his mouth over the last week and he is losing fur there. Other than that, he seems healthy - he is active, eating, and gaining weight at a good pace.

Has anyone dealt with this before? I'm very worried for him as I adopted him from a shelter and I'm hoping it's not some sort of terrible infection that's hurting him :(

Alejandra Rico

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi, OliviaBMC, your Orange Cat is lovely!
I hav3 seen many kittens with that kind of spots around mouth and their chins, and It is something that tienda to dissapointing un one or to weeks time. Their babies skins are quite delicate and without mommy cleaning them after every metal (or even overgrooming them) It is easy yo find that happen. If your boy is scrathing himself really hard un those áreas, that could be another cause, probably fue to fleas.
So, anyway, as long as he is Happy, active, and eating, playing and pooing and peeing fine, do not worry about him, he will be fine once he has his vaccinations and deworming.
Best of lucks and keep us informed, he is such a beautiful voy!

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
He IS a little cutie. Since you just adopted him from a Shelter, can you not take him in for them to look at, just to be absolutely sure. I'm certain this is nothing life threatening, however, just in case it's some sort of fungus, they should check him out and possibly give him something for it.

when I first saw your thread title, I thought it might possibly be cat acne, but these pictures certainly don't look like any cat acne that I've seen. Hopefully it's just as the above poster says, but better safe than sorry.

mokapi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I know cats can develop allergic reactions from eating/drinking out of plastic bowls...the last cat I fostered had a history of what they called "rodent ulcers", and she also had raised, scabby lesions like that. Can you get him to the vet?

helenks

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! I have two kittens, one 5 months and one 11 months and they both recently developed the exact same thing you described and took pictures of! Could you please let me know if you brought your kitty to the vet and what the vet said? Or if it just went away on its own? I am very concerned but it is Christmas weekend and no vets are available!