Scabs and excessive grooming

Nopenshaw

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our cat has had these scabs and has excessively groomed them for months now. We've taken him to the vet, and they recommend us do a skin scrape and blood work. We're concerned about the cost. Any advice on what this is is appreciated. (We have him eating grain free food already and using hypoallergenic litter because it was suggested that he was allergic to something in the environment.)

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
Are you using scented candles, scented dryer sheets and/or laundry detergent, spray cleaners (kitchen, bath, furniture), air fresheners, do you have new carpet or furniture, is the water bowl clean daily with fresh daily water, are his food dishes cleaned daily and rinsed really well?

Edit to add; is his water filtered?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Nopenshaw

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi
Are you using scented candles, scented dryer sheets and/or laundry detergent, spray cleaners (kitchen, bath, furniture), air fresheners, do you have new carpet or furniture, is the water bowl clean daily with fresh daily water, are his food dishes cleaned daily and rinsed really well?

Edit to add; is his water filtered?
I use scented candles sometimes. No to all the other questions, as I stopped using my perfume and scented detergent once this began. His water is a long lasting gravity (filtered) water so we don't clean it until it runs out (about once a week) his food is a timed feeder that we don't clean until it runs out as well.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi, I'm wondering about the water dispenser, because the bowl area is probably getting slimey (I can't leave my boy's for more than a day). Try an experiment for a little while of using a soup bowl or even a tall water glass, and give him a clean bowl/glass every day with fresh water daily. If possible, you might also consider filtered water.

Is he only getting kibble? You might try giving him canned food--I've read where kibble can be problematic for cats.

If these changes don't clear his skin, then you may need to do an at-home allergy test, where you eliminate foods including treats that have chicken and turkey etc.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Maybe this article (see link below) might help in terms of understanding what all can go on with various skin conditions. Probably explains why your vet is suggesting blood work and a skin scraping - to rule out a few of the possible causes.

While I can't speak specifically to the skin scraping, cats really should have blood work done annually as part of a vet checkup (as well as a urinalysis). Semi-annually when the hit their senior years. The blood work results, over the years, tell a 'story' about your cat - and when changes begin to occur in the blood work, potential issues are found sooner, and treatment can be administered before a problem can get out of hand.
Cat Skin Conditions: Dry Skin, Skin Allergies, Skin Cancer, Itchy Skin & More | PetMD