Scabby mouth area

nemoraa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So if you guys have seen my dirty mouth post last time well after I observe for a few days, and tried to clean it today, it looked like it's a scab ? She doesn't seem to be on discomfort tho, still eating and biting, and sometimes clean her mouth area, I'm not sure if this is a scab or just dried dirt/food cause it's not there at first, I gave her a bath at 16th and the mouth area is still clean, but 2-3 days later it's like dirty, now idk what is this. I cleaned the right part this afternoon and the brown thing comes out after I compress it for a while with cotton and water, and brushing it with a tooth brush. But I checked the brown thing and it have little fur stuck there (that's why she hated it when I cleaned it, cause it takes some of her fur) I'm afraid to clean it now in case it's a scab and I'm not supposed to pick on it,, sorry if this explanation doesn't make sense but I'm kinda panicking and can't explain well

since I might only be able to go to a vet like in 2 weeks 😭😭 do you guys have any experience like this?

Attachments

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Her eyes look watery too.....it could be an infection, or a bad allergy to something in her food or bowls. Does she have a discharge from her nose or is sneezing? Is she acting ok, appetite normal, using the litterbox, drinking plenty? I would start by changing her bowls, go to glass or stainless steel, plastic almost always causes feline acne and allergies. Then check into her food. If she is eating mainly fish, switch to chicken, if chicken, switch to turkey, etc., this takes at least a week a switch to see if she starts improving. NO cow's milk products, including cottage cheese. Cheese, heavy cream, and goat's milk are fine, they have minimum traces of lactose. Many cats can not tolerate lactose. I think she does need to see a vet to figure it out, maybe when she goes in for her next vaccinations you could bring that picture in. You might see if you could send it to him now and see if he could help. I would NOT bathe her anymore, cats really don't need to be bathed, and it is too stressful for her right now. Don't clean her mouth area, it may hurt, unless it really builds up. You might try to apply a little antibiotic salve, or cat wound cleaner. The salve would be for humans, just make sure it DOES NOT contain pain relievers like so many do now. The wound spray can be found at any farm supply store, make sure it is for cats and it would be better to soak a cotton ball or clean cloth to apply it, so the spraying doesn't scare her. She is very young, so make sure she has a cat heat pad or stays very warm. I feel sorry for her, it looks very sore. You might look at her toys too or anything she chews on and remove anything plastic. PLEASE keep us posted, I would like to know what you find out. It sure looks like an allergy to me. PS thank you for coming to this site, I hope someone can identify the problem for you, bless you for trying to help her.....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nemoraa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Her eyes look watery too.....it could be an infection, or a bad allergy to something in her food or bowls. Does she have a discharge from her nose or is sneezing? Is she acting ok, appetite normal, using the litterbox, drinking plenty? I would start by changing her bowls, go to glass or stainless steel, plastic almost always causes feline acne and allergies. Then check into her food. If she is eating mainly fish, switch to chicken, if chicken, switch to turkey, etc., this takes at least a week a switch to see if she starts improving. NO cow's milk products, including cottage cheese. Cheese, heavy cream, and goat's milk are fine, they have minimum traces of lactose. Many cats can not tolerate lactose. I think she does need to see a vet to figure it out, maybe when she goes in for her next vaccinations you could bring that picture in. You might see if you could send it to him now and see if he could help. I would NOT bathe her anymore, cats really don't need to be bathed, and it is too stressful for her right now. Don't clean her mouth area, it may hurt, unless it really builds up. You might try to apply a little antibiotic salve, or cat wound cleaner. The salve would be for humans, just make sure it DOES NOT contain pain relievers like so many do now. The wound spray can be found at any farm supply store, make sure it is for cats and it would be better to soak a cotton ball or clean cloth to apply it, so the spraying doesn't scare her. She is very young, so make sure she has a cat heat pad or stays very warm. I feel sorry for her, it looks very sore. You might look at her toys too or anything she chews on and remove anything plastic. PLEASE keep us posted, I would like to know what you find out. It sure looks like an allergy to me. PS thank you for coming to this site, I hope someone can identify the problem for you, bless you for trying to help her.....
thank you too for trying to help! T-T
I used metal bowls for her food and water, and wash it like 4 times a day (I'm very clean regarding foods etc) I gave her bath because she was covered in fleas (unfortunately didn't get them all and she sitll have some left, I'm going to give her flea treatment as soon as she hits 1 kg), I rescued her at the 15th, diarrhea, underweight, and has eye infection.

I put her on bland diet and switching gradually to raw food rn, the bland diet is chicken, while my raw food is beef and duck.
she's now feeling a lot better and gained a lot of weight, I used eye ointment for her (the vet told me to at first) and just yesterday stopped it cause her eyes is a lot better (no more discharge and normal colored conjunctiva), she doesn't have sneezing or discharge from her nose, so I don't think it's upper respiratory infection.

before I put her on a bland diet I was giving her a canned food which sadly contained milk and worsen her diarrhea, (it's my fault for not checking first) it may be allergy to the milk? since she also got bad diarrhea from it.

she's very active, eating a lot, I put some chicken broth to make sure she drinks (from boiling the chicken, so no added seasoning), pooping and peeing normally, and doesn't seem to be bothered by it;;; I'll try to regularly cleans it after she eats with cotton balls and water. and will go to the vet next week if it worsens;;;

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she had diarrhea, I would bet she was allergic to something in her diet. Duck is usually ok you might want to stop the beef for a while. There is prepared cat food out there for sensitive skin issues you might research it. In the raw diet, is she getting the necessary nutrients and taurine? Are there any additives at all? To avoid baths you might get a flea comb and comb them out to avoid stressing her. Have a cup of soapy water to dip the comb in and one to rinse it, to kill the fleas. Bless you, for helping her!

nemoraa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If she had diarrhea, I would bet she was allergic to something in her diet. Duck is usually ok you might want to stop the beef for a while. There is prepared cat food out there for sensitive skin issues you might research it. In the raw diet, is she getting the necessary nutrients and taurine? Are there any additives at all? To avoid baths you might get a flea comb and comb them out to avoid stressing her. Have a cup of soapy water to dip the comb in and one to rinse it, to kill the fleas. Bless you, for helping her!
she had diarrhea from the canned food, she's not reacting at all with the raw and her poo is totally fine ( I make sure to transition gradually ) I bought commercial complete raw diet which mix beef and duck so I can't stop the other;;;
it has no additives and preservatives. I'll look up the sensitive diet to change, but I'm still unsure since I'm afraid it'll upset her stomach if I change her food again.
she has the skin issue before I transition her to the raw diet so I'm not sure if it's from the beef and duck
I do occassionaly comb her flea but can't get much out of it, so I'm gonna use flea treatment soon (she's now 800 gr already, and gaining weight very fast x'D )

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You sound like you have everything under control, you've done about as much as you can without a vet's diagnosis. I wouldn't change her food if you bought commercial. They should have all the necessary vitamins. Maybe it's the flea shampoo and she gets it off her fur when licking? Maybe you could clean her mouth and nose area with a half water half peroxide mixture one time to kill any bacteria. Only once. more than that and peroxide can delay healing. I feel sorry fro her, I hope it clears up soon!

kittenmittens84

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It could be irritation from the flea meds. Cat acne can also get worse and then break open and scab in cats that are sick or vulnerable or have compromised immune systems, it sounds like that could be a possibility too since you said she was underweight and sick when you found her. It usually clears up with some gentle washing as the cat gets healthier and stronger but if it doesn’t the vet is a good idea!

nemoraa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You sound like you have everything under control, you've done about as much as you can without a vet's diagnosis. I wouldn't change her food if you bought commercial. They should have all the necessary vitamins. Maybe it's the flea shampoo and she gets it off her fur when licking? Maybe you could clean her mouth and nose area with a half water half peroxide mixture one time to kill any bacteria. Only once. more than that and peroxide can delay healing. I feel sorry fro her, I hope it clears up soon!
It could be indeed the soap/shampoo I used, I ended up just cleaning it with water rn everytime she has done eating, and not scrubbing it to avoid irritating it! My suspicion still last on the canned food I got her, she eat that for about 4-5 days (?) If I remembered correctly, so this may be the after effects from that?

It could be irritation from the flea meds. Cat acne can also get worse and then break open and scab in cats that are sick or vulnerable or have compromised immune systems, it sounds like that could be a possibility too since you said she was underweight and sick when you found her. It usually clears up with some gentle washing as the cat gets healthier and stronger but if it doesn’t the vet is a good idea!
It could be cat acne and got worse because she was sick and just recently gotten better, I haven't gave her the flea meds yet, will give it as soon as she reached the optimal weight for the meds.

The good thing is today I see some improvements, she seems to be grooming those area and the scab flakes out of its own, when I checked it has no little fur so it doesn't hurts her and that's why I think it flakes out. The area doesn't look that inflamed anymore now. I'll keep regularly cleaning the area after she eat and look if it gets better ^^ I'm still concerned about her watery eyes but I won't give her the eye ointment for now, cause the vet told me at the start to stop if it looked better. I'll keep updating if it gets better/worse over time.

Attachments