Saying Goodbye To Angel, Renamed Moose. A Tribute And History

jmarkitell

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
After losing my 1st cat in 1997, I waited until after New Years and took my family to the local shelter program. My wife picked out a white and gray female named Angel. Angel had been "Returned" to the shelter because she was energetic...too much so for her previous owners. Angel came home with us and also accompanied by Thor, a tiny runt of the litter that nobody wanted and my daughter felt sorry for him...so both came home that cold Feb in 1998.
Moose was certainly active and over her first 10 years, she broke her share of stuff...but not too bad. She was informally renamed Moose because she was rather large and not totally graceful. She became cemented to my wife but still spread herself around to the other family members. In 2011, Thor, my daughters choice, passed away leaving Moose without her main playmate. A new cat or two was added to the collection, but Moose was the oldest and the "Boss"
Over the summer, Moose began to loose some weight. At 18 years old or more, it wasn't unexpected. A trip to the vet said that she was doing ok for her age, but we also knew that her kidneys were beginning to show damage. We tried to keep her well fed and fully hydrated, but her health continued to decline and her arthritis made her less mobile...frequently missing the back of the litterbox. About this time, I suffered a leg wound and was couch bound for a month or so. During my time on the couch, Moose would often curl up with me and we would give each other comfort. Eventually, Moose became weaker and had a hard time getting on the couch and making it to her litterbox. She was also becoming less hungry and her food ran thru her.
A day or two prior to Christmas Moose took a turn for the worse. Since all vets were closed, we did the best to keep her as comfortable as possible. Yesterday, we were certain that she would pass at any moment, but she continued to hang in there. I felt terrible but was unable to travel, so today my wife and daughter, amid a sea of salty tears, took Moose to the Vets on this coldest day of the year. They haven't returned but I just had to write this tribute to one of the nicest cats that we have had...certainly a long term member of the family.
I'll miss you Moose. You brought joy and happiness...maybe a bit of mischief, into our family and stayed by us. Someday we will meet again, but in the meantime, please enjoy plaing with Thor again until the day we are reunited.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Moose, dream you deep. Your paw prints are on someone's heart forever.

What a beautiful tribute to a dear and faithful friend. I am so sorry, so very, very sorry. I know how you will miss her physical presence in your life, but love never dies, you know. It changes form, and goes on, still loving us from that other plane of being.

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
What a beautiful tribute to a wonderful cat, I am sorry that you lost your friend but you had a wonderful time filled with love and much joy and you will see Moose again someday down the line.

I hope that your heart heals a bit more each day, God Bless.....:alright: :grouphug: :rbheart:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Beautiful tribute to a wonderful family member! It breaks the heart to have them leave us, but they add so much to our lives the pain becomes bearable when we realize what they left us. you saved Angel (Moose) from a most likely death, she gave your family so much in return. She gave you 18 years of love, and yes, tribulations, but the hole in your heart will take a long time to heal on her passing. She took a little bit of your heart with her to bring comfort, she left a little of hers for you to do the same. Don't dwell on the sad end of a wonderful long life, she would never want that for the ones she loves so much. Go on with your life and bring the sunshine back in, just as you would want for her if you were the first to go. The bond of love you all forged will be with you forever, it can never be taken, because it is spiritual.
Go to your local shelter now and pay for the adoption of the cat that has been there the longest in her name, it will save a life and be a tribute to that wonderful girl and the legacy of love she left you. I do this several times a year, I know my dearly departed would be proud to know she was loved so much to pass that love along. They put a little sign on the door saying the adoption is paid for, to please take me home. It helps you to feel a little better about a sad situation.
My heart goes out to you all, please know I'll keep you all in my thoughts and prayers. Moose will be kept safe and warm under the Lord's watchful eye until you meet again.Take care......RIP precious Angel,you will never be forgotten on this earth, your legacy lives on in the memories of those who miss you so dearly. Good night, sleep tight, little Moose!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jmarkitell

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I want to thank everyone for their help and support during this hard time. Many, including myself, have endured this pain before and there just isn't any way to lessen it except time. I'll miss Moose, Thor, Callie, Cleo, Pete, Oakie, Stinkey, Ashley, and a few more that have come and gone. What a great day it will be when we are together again. :)

Mashkasheli

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So sorry to hear about Moose, my heart goes out to you. It is so agonizing to lose our angels. Rip little angel, may you be at peace now. x