Saving A Fading Kitten

theycallmechristmas

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have two neonatal kittens in my care as fosters from a local shelter. One is very strong and hitting all milestones as he should be. However, the other has been diagnosed as fading by the shelter staff/veterinarian. He's gaunt, has poor motor skills, dark red bloody stool, and has no desire to eat. I'm not delusional, I know he may very well pass soon. I am writing this to gather tips and advice that have helped fading kittens in the past so that I may give this kitten the best chance I can. The shelter has given up on him, and won't provide further vet care unless he perks up. I am keeping him warm, force feeding him high quality kmr, and giving him plenty of human contact. Thank you in advance!

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you for caring for this kitten! I'm bumping this thread for you, so hopefully some of our kitten care experts can help you out.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I wonder why I am just seeing this now?

Is the kitten still hanging in there?

How old is the kitten?

Has the kitten been treated for parasites or intestinal infection? It sounds from your description that this may be what is needed.

Thank you for caring!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Does oftenhuman contact include massaging of limbs and body? Can you get raw goats milk? Pedialyte flavorless clear saMe as for babies to avoid dehydration. Add some glucose sugar too - may be as water with honey or have a drop in pediaalute or kmr.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I wonder why I am just seeing this now?
I too saw this first this morning. I suspect the post was firstly published in some other forum, and moved into here.

I had said earlier; it would be nice if such a move were notated somewhere in the new forum, by several reasons. ONE is its easy to miss them, even if I do try to patrol.