Saved a couple of feral cats.

newfosterparent

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Back in April, I was seeing quite a few cats wandering the street where I live.

I live on a quiet, dead end street, facing a golf course, so there are no other houses on the other side of the street.

These cats are clearly wild, I'd seen 2 of them scraping it out in another backyard at one point. They were really going at it with each other.

One of the ferals came up to the front porch one day and I fed it. I was almost able to rub it's tummy until it got spooked off.

A few days later, another one came hopping into the backyard looking for food. This was in late April, very early May.

I decided to feed this cat, and try to get it to trust me enough to get it inside.

I thought the leg was broken, there was no way the cat was going to put weight on it.

A few days later, it was walking on it again, but a few days after that, I noticed puncture marks on the same leg.

I decided at that point that I wanted to help the cat, which I thought was a female.

I contacted a rescue agency, but they never bothered to respond. I contacted the "pound" and they refused to help.

About a week later, I contacted 4 rescue agencies and only one responded back, willing to help trap the cat.

They gave me a drop trap on Monday May 9th, in the hopes that the cat would go into it.

The cat, who I later found out was a male, wasn't seen until Tuesday.

On Wednesday morning, he was out there, I set the trap up, and went inside. I was on the phone when he walked into the trap and the door slammed down on the trap.

He was terrified and desperate to get out of it.

I struggled to get him inside the house, and when I did, he didn't want to get into the cage at all. He seemed almost content to stay in the trap.

I finally got him out of the trap and he cowered in the corner of the cage.

I put in the litterbox and some food and shut the cage. I left him to get settled in.

The next day I was almost able to touch him, but he constantly hissed at me, and even swiped at me.

I was able to see that his leg had been bitten by another animal. I was thankful that I finally had him inside.

I have a 2 week journal that I posted about his progress or lack thereof on another site, so there are more details in these daily postings.

On Saturday, we took him to the vet. He was given morphine to sedate him since he was hissing and swiping, and that was the first time I was able to touch him.

Even as the sedation was wearing off, he seemed to enjoy touch, but once it wore off, he was back to normal.

Xrays revealed a small break just under the elbow joint of his rear left leg, soft tissue damage as well from the bite he sustained.

He's on antibiotics. When I discovered that aspirin was a big no-no, I stopped giving him the little bit I was, I'm not trying to hurt him and don't want to do anymore harm to him.

3 days after the vet appointment, he's still being a sourpuss, not letting me near him.

But he loves his treats and catnip, so he gets that all the time.

He's fine with a fishing pole type toy touching him, in fact, he seems to enjoy the touch by it.

I don't know how long it will take for him to warm up to me, but I am aware that it will take time.

On to the kitten.

Last weekend, we were out in the front on Friday evening. We heard the kitten crying, and saw a black cat, but couldn't see the kitten.

The next morning, she was under my van with the black cat. My husband suggested that we try to trap her, and we set up the trap we still had from the rescue.

I got a call a few hours later from my husband saying that the kitten had been trapped.

She now lives down in the basement with our other roommates, and she's having a great time. Based on photos that I have provided(will post tomorrow), she seems to be about 4 weeks old.

She eats on her own and runs around like crazy, chasing anything that moves. She's been attacking human legs, seems to be something she loves to do.

She seems to be healthy, but I haven't even confirmed that she is a female, although she does look to be one.

Anyways, that's my rescue story. I hadn't planned on getting into cat rescues until Tiger, the injured male, came into my life and the rescue called me the foster parent.

This is going to be an interesting summer.

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
You're great!

It's amazing how people's eyes glaze over when you're looking for resources and help when you're trying to help a cat or cats.

Your story about searching for help and finding dead ends is a common one.

I started my efforts in 2008, I was completely unaware of how to help a stray cat, and especially the feral born. Today, after 3 years we have been successful in bringing into our home 5 more cats - 2 strays, and 3 feral born. So I know of the adventure you have before you.

I've been so thankful for this Forum and the members that have been so eager to be helpful.

You are doing a great and wonderful thing, one cat at a time.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hello
and welcome to TCS!
. Interesting summer and rewarding summer in store for you
. What a wonderful and kind thing you are doing for Tiger, saving him the way you have. He will in time becomes more socialized and trusting of you. This could be a matter of days or weeks, just depends on his personality. But he sounds like he is coming along quickly, liking the treats, catnip and the toys. Just spend as much time as you can with him in while he is in that cage. Once you are able to touch him and pet him so he accepts that, then you could move him into a small room or bathroom. If you can, pick up either a Feliway diffuser or the Feliway spray (you can spritz this every twelve hours) it contains the feline pheromones that produce a relaxing friendly environment and will help reduce stress.

The kitten sound like a fun, loving little baby who seems comfortable with people already. It was great of you to take them in and keep updating

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hi and welcome to the Forums!

Tx a lot for helping these our two little brethrens!

Tiger yes. Him having pains, makes him lesser happy to be touched and so. they do have lesser patience.
BUT. It also makes him much easier to foster.
It is easy to foster a ferale born little kitten. This is the big Window.
As you see with this little one.
It is entirely possible to foster older semiferales too, but it takes much more time and patience. But there is an exception - if you help them when they are hurt or sick, and they know you are helping them. The "Windows" do open again.
He is clearly on the way.

This blackie which was near the little one - is it her mom?

And please give link to your blog / this place where you do write about Tiger!

Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

newfosterparent

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the welcome.

Tiger has been out of his cage in his own private room for a couple of weeks now.

I could tell that he hated being cooped up in the cage all day, so I gave him some freedom.

I think the black cat is a male, I saw him and a ginger tom fighting a few weeks ago.

According to my photos, Tiger has been around us since April 7th.

I'd like to post photos, but I don't see any option to do so unless from a URL, so I'll just post a link from the forum I have the pictures on, I'll upload more of them there first.

http://animalfriends4life.com/forums...hread.php?t=10

http://animalfriends4life.com/forums...read.php?t=155 The new kitten.

http://animalfriends4life.com/forums...?p=310#post310

I'm also linking my Facebook rescue album here, there are more pictures there.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...3&l=230b50be4a The last pictures are from last Saturday after the vet visit when he was still semi sedated from the morphine.

So anyways, that's about it from the cat rescue front. I'm hoping that spending some good time with him tomorrow will help as I should be off for the day.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Tiger is a very handsome boy
. I was only able to open the pictures of Tiger. Sounds like he is adjusting quite well and i am sure he loves and appreciates his new room. Enjoy your day with Tiger tomorrow, I am sure you two will be fast friends

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Newfosterparent

Thanks for the welcome.

Tiger has been out of his cage in his own private room for a couple of weeks now.

I could tell that he hated being cooped up in the cage all day, so I gave him some freedom.

I think the black cat is a male, I saw him and a ginger tom fighting a few weeks ago.

According to my photos, Tiger has been around us since April 7th.

I'd like to post photos, but I don't see any option to do so unless from a URL, so I'll just post a link from the forum I have the pictures on, I'll upload more of them there first.

http://animalfriends4life.com/forums...hread.php?t=10

http://animalfriends4life.com/forums...read.php?t=155 The new kitten.

http://animalfriends4life.com/forums...?p=310#post310

I'm also linking my Facebook rescue album here, there are more pictures there.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...3&l=230b50be4a The last pictures are from last Saturday after the vet visit when he was still semi sedated from the morphine.

So anyways, that's about it from the cat rescue front. I'm hoping that spending some good time with him tomorrow will help as I should be off for the day.
Do you have a Photobucket account? If not, I recommend to get one, it is free and hosting photos with it is very easy, they seem to offer now unlimited storage for free.

Only thing to remember is to resize them before upload as I remember reading from rules that max size of pictures here is 640x480, so most of my photos in there are way too large to insert into post, but adding URL is simple just click direct link box next to image and paste link like this:
http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/a...alipalloja.jpg

newfosterparent

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I can't remember my user info for it, but no matter. I can upload photos.

I will be finding Tiger a home soon since I now have to focus on another cat outside that I'm trying to lure inside.

She is Tiger's sister, and she's the complete opposite of Tiger. She's super friendly. She looks identical to him.

newfosterparent

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks.

My husband almost got her inside yesterday but was foolish about it.

He'd picked her up and went inside with her. But he went back outside to get the food, with her in his arms, and she ran off.

I am going to work very hard over the next week in order to get the money needed to have her spayed, I'd rather do that prior to bringing her inside.

newfosterparent

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, after much thought today, while I was outside about half an hour ago, I fed the female.

I opened the screen door, left it open, picked her up and brought her inside.

She's now hiding under our bed, but has been exploring a bit.

She was on my bed purring, so I guess she's happy.

When I get batteries for my camera, I will post pictures of her for everyone.

The count of rescued ferals/strays is now 3. Never thought I'd have such a full house.

Now to try to deal with the tom cat that comes by as well. But that will be a while until it happens.

My biggest question right now, since money is tight, should I have the female spayed before getting Tiger neutered? I'm inclined to do this since my own cat isn't neutered, although he's ignoring her right now, almost offended that there's yet another cat moving in on his territory.

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm amazed that you are able to get close enough to pick her up - I'm thinking that she isn't Feral-born, and that she is a stray.

Good for you in getting her inside. Your deserve a lot of praise for what you are doing!!

newfosterparent

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you. I had never thought that I would be doing this at all.

The tabbies in the area are all strays, they were dumped a couple of years ago I was told.

However, the kitten was feral born, but had only been outside for about a month, so she's not used to being wild. She's friendly as well.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Aw she sounds like a little angel
. As to your question about who to get fixed first due to money issues, I would suggest the female so no more kittens.
. If you can, look into a TNR organization. They will help you with the spay/neuters, shots, wormings, flea treatments all for a very minimal fee. That way you can just get everyone fixed rather quickly.

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
Are these folks near you? Maybe they could direct you to a free clinic if they don't have medical care at their facility?

http://www.saveapetil.org/about

Save-A-Pet Adoption Center 31664 North Fairfield Road Grayslake, Illinois 60030 Phone: 847-740-7788

... On a daily basis, Save-A-Pet faces two basic challenges rescue and education. The rescue cycle includes the process and costs of intake, vaccinations, surgeries (i.e., spay/neuter), prescription food, preventative medications, chronic illness medications (i.e., for FIV, heart murmurs, allergies, IBD, arthritis, etc.), and the emotional healing of the residents. The educational cycle includes the process and costs of rehabilitating the residents before and after adoption, as well as the costs for training adopters in preventative care and solving behavioral problems. ...

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by GloriaJH

Are these folks near you? Maybe they could direct you to a free clinic if they don't have medical care at their facility?

http://www.saveapetil.org/about

Save-A-Pet Adoption Center 31664 North Fairfield Road Grayslake, Illinois 60030 Phone: 847-740-7788
Hi Gloria!!
Yes, I live near Save-A-Pet, and a fabulous shelter. But the OP is in Canada and would need a TNR organization up there.

Maybe just google Trap-Neuter-Release Organizations in your county. Hopefully you will have a few up there to choose from and get assistance.

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Feralvr

Hi Gloria!!
Yes, I live near Save-A-Pet, and a fabulous shelter. But the OP is in Canada and would need a TNR organization up there.

Maybe just google Trap-Neuter-Release Organizations in your county. Hopefully you will have a few up there to choose from and get assistance.
Oh silly me !! Guess I shouldn't be trying to do so many things at once.

The shelter's (Save-A-Pet) website made it appear as a really great place - glad to hear it's as good as the website makes it look.

newfosterparent

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The TNR program at the Toronto Humane Society has a waiting list of months. Anyone who wants to use it must take one of their workshops for $10, and they're not often.

The cat must be 100% feral, so Tiger wouldn't count. He would have had to have gone in while in the trap, not months later.

The new cat wouldn't qualify either as she's tame.

But for $75, I can't complain. I'm using online earnings to pay for this.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, $75.oo is still a good fee and that is generous of you to follow through and pay for these kittens to get fixed.
I am sorry to hear that the Toronto Humane Society has such a long waiting list. That really isn't much help then for the feral caretakers in your area.
. I am lucky here in Illinois. We have many TNR organizations at our finger tips and they will still support "friendly ferals" as well. Wish this was the same in Toronto.

newfosterparent

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I found out to get the female done it will be $120. Still reasonable though to me, as it's well over $300 at vet clinics.

I need to get her done as my 9 year old indoor cat has never been neutered, he's a rescue himself, and he's now trying to get at her. She wants nothing to do with him in that sense, which is good so far.

How can you tell if a female has had kittens in the past? This is completely new to me.