Savannah Was Spayed: Is Congestion Normal?

darkhorse321

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hey all!!
Savannah was spayed this morning and I brought her home at 5:30pm. She was a very good girl and all went well--though she did start coughing in her carrier while the vet was going over things and she said it's normal. Savannah was exhausted--apparently it was very busy where she was recovering and she was enjoying all the activity, but didn't sleep much. She came home frantic to use her litter box (both #1 and #2), then scarfed down food, drank, wandered, ate, drank--she was very unsettled. She also wanted to groom--she's very particular about her fur near her tushie and I wondered if she had a messy BM because they gave her fluids post op. She hadn't, but I think her fur was a bit messy from alcohol or such (she was shaved, but surround hair seemed unkept, but I won't brush her for a bit).

After being home, she finally began to settle and doze off. I did notice she was quite congested though---she had a bit of coughing, but otherwise, everything else fine. She even attempted to chase some toys, but I think she realized that's going to be a bit tender.

Finally, she's konked out. (the vet wanted her to get as much sleep as possible). She konked out in the porch, on her cat tree and I brought her in and she's on a wicker chair , on a soft towel and happily sleeping.

Her congestion sounds MUCH better, but I don't remember my other kitties being congested. after being spayed. But, I also don't recall bringing them home the same day as their spaying. Have any of you had this after your kitties had surgery? I remember bringing Bandit and Skye home the same day of a dental surgery (reabsorption lesions) and they never sounded congested either. But they were much older than Savannah.

We go back tomorrow for a follow up! I'm beat. Was a stressful day for me just worrying if she'd be ok.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm sure they had a tube down her throat while she was having the surgery, so that may have caused the coughing, etc. since she's better now, I'd think everything is fine, but since you have a follow-up today, you can ask.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

darkhorse321

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks all! Congestion is gone. They indeed said it was from the intubation tube and it's common for them to be a bit congested. She's been nuts! I Think 2 days of sleeping has created an insane kitten! Hahahaha. She did have her first small barf---I didn't even know until I was heading out Saturday afternoon to do laundry--my guess is she had a BM and it may have been tender (her last was when she got home from the vet after surgery) since pain meds had worn off. But, appetite and energy level are fine and no more since then. She's increasingly getting more active (read: Mischief) and everything else is great!