Savannah & Hannah: Strays In My Garden

annah8

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Hi, I’m Annah, new to this site – and so glad to have found you.   For the past four months I’ve been drowning myself with literature/websites dedicated to ferals/stray cats - first, just to figure out what the difference is between ferals and strays – then, to figure out how to help them and what is and is not in my control.   So here goes…

November/2016: on a bitter freezing night, a Tortoiseshell kitty landed near my garden.   Starved and shivering, I scooped her up in a crate and brought her immediately to the vet where she appeared healthy.   That week, we placed a have-a-heart trap near a foot path of the garden that her Calico momma frequently used, and within an hour momma was caught.   In the cage she was terrified, but calm to my surprise.  

We quickly decided to foster the tortoishell kitty, making sure she was clear of any diseases, making sure she received her shots, and when age appropriate have her spayed.   The intention was to then place her for adoption.   As for momma, we also took her to the vet immediately where, under sedation, the vet spayed her, gave the initial necessary shots, and was able to determine from her teeth that she was 2-3 months shy of being two years old.   The weather was getting worse (colder and our first snow storm hit the day I picked up momma from the vet), so per the vet’s recommendation we kept her an extra week to let her heal from the surgery/trauma before putting her out in the elements.   During that week we probably made two mistakes: #1, when I realized momma allowed me to enter the cage and place food/water without any hassle, I continued enlisting my trust; and #2, when the end of the week arrived we didn’t have the heart to release her into 2 feet of snow with a bare stomach, so we decided to keep her until the spring.  

The kitty, now Hannah, is a healthy 5 month old, a kitten in every way imaginable (including an occasional biting habit I still can’t seem to get her to stop despite all the “tricks” I’ve read and been told to do), and is set to be spayed the first week in May.   She has even integrated reasonably well with my two 13 year old cats.   My female cat Sasha set her straight from day one, showing her where the boundaries are.   My boy Lucien however is a pushover, and Hannah seems to love him and pick on him at the same time

As for momma, now Savannah, after reading all the materials I could get my hands on, I’ve come to the conclusion she is more stray than feral.   She was terrified the last time we went to the vet, but did not need to be sedated (just a strong hold on the scruff) and now her last distemper shot is due this Saturday.   After that, she will be deemed in tip-top shape and is the sweetest thing you can imagine.   She lives in my studio, away from the main house and other cats.   She follows me everywhere, rubs up against my legs meowing, allows me to pet her (just this past week I reached the occasional belly rub stage), sat on my lap twice (though this is still new for her), climbs her tower and loves to play.   She can still be skittish and/or terribly frightened of new noises/people, and picking her up is still a no-no – she’ll do a little skip-hop-skip on me when I place my hand under her.   Very cute but I respect that she’s not ready.  

So what’s the problem?

Issue one: We’re not sure if we can handle two extra forever cats.   They are the first stray cats I’ve EVER captured and cared for, and it’s a lot to handle – at times exhausting when I have to split my time between Savannah (in the studio) and Hannah, Lucien and Sasha (in the house).   Lucien and Sasha are my two 13 year old cats, rescues as well who came with a husband.   I just don’t know how much longer I can keep doing it, on top of juggling school, part-time work, and maintaining a household.   I know if we had to, we wouldn’t have a problem getting Hannah adopted in a loving home: she is still a kitten, by next month her vet needs will have been completely fulfilled, and for the most part she is very sweet.   As for Savannah, she's a bigger concern.  If I had known sooner NOT TO TOUCH OR SOCIALIZE Savannah if I was going to just catch/release, I wouldn’t have gone down the touching/socializing road.  Also getting her adopted will be the most difficult.   It will have to be someone who’s committed and willing to be loving, patient with her and pick up where I’ve left off.

Issue two if we keep her: My biggest fear with Hannah is that she will not grow to be calmer/mellower.   I don’t know if my two 13 year olds (Lucien and Sasha) can handle Hannah’s energy.   (Maybe I’m not giving cats the credit they deserve to figure these things out for themselves but I am very protective of my seniors.)   I haven’t found any books/video clips related to the pluses and minuses of seniors and juveniles living and getting along together.   I’m also concerned with Hannah’s behavior towards Lucien.   Once Hannah got more access to the house, I’d see her paw at Lucien’s face and leap/lunge over him.   I thought perhaps she was testing him but I’m not sure.   A few times I’ve caught them behaving as if they were fighting but I saw no claws extracted, only pointy ears, chasing, and kind of trying to slap each other.   Nevertheless the behavior is disconcerting to me as I’m afraid once Hannah gets older, she’ll become a bully towards him.   The thing is during feeding time everyone gets along, and I’ve even seen Hannah sleeping on the same cushion with Lucien.   In fact, right now Lucien, Sasha and Hannah are all sleeping in the living room in their respective cushions sweet as can be.  

Issue three if we keep her:  Although I’ve made great strides towards socializing Savannah – it will take a long time before she becomes just a regular house cat (whatever that means).   She’s also not ready to be socialized with Lucien/Sasha (and I'm not sure it's a good idea to tax them with another new cat).  I've also hit a wall re: what more to teach her.  Is this the part where I let her be...and live on her terms?  I'd want to know I'm doing enough of the right things. 

In hindsight, I know rescuing them was the right thing to do, but I rushed to do everything I could for them without being properly educated.      Either way when you’ve committed to saving a life and love them, it’s hard to let them go.   I must sound like a new mother with all the fears that come with that responsibility.

Well after all this, I think you get more than a gist of my dilemma(s).   Any advice, suggestions, guidance would be greatly appreciated.   I don’t expect anyone to tell me what to do with regards to keeping them or not, but I would like feedback on:

1) Further socializing Savannah;

2) Or thoughts from people who have had to let go of a strays after socializing.   (Although releasing Savannah now into the woods seems cruel to me – especially after showing her the life and safety she can have.   Someone told me that it doesn’t take long for stray/feral cats to re-acclimate to their previous surroundings – meaning I could still release her to the outdoors.   Is that true?)

3) Thoughts on how kittens think, and tips on stopping kittens from biting (besides ignoring/just stopping interactions, flicking their nose, saying “stop!”, etc.).  Also kittens behaving seemingly aggressive towards other cats.

Thanks to all who had the patience to read this, and I’m sorry if I sound a bit hysterical.   I’m really not, I’m just going through a lot of emotions with something I’ve never done before.   I have to say when I hold Hannah, or pet Savannah, it’s one of the greatest pleasures in the world.  All I want to do is love them, care for them and keep them safe.  Attached is a photo of Savannah/mom on the left and Hannah/daughter on the right.

In a perfect world, I thought at some point I'd be able to reunite mother and daughter.   I thought, what with Lucien's and Sasha's health declining, that somehow the universe has given us another set of cats to care for.   But I might just be creating more problems for myself.

Thank you for reading - Annah

P.S.: The book that helped me the most and is now my stray bible is: The Stray Cat Handbook by Tamara Kreuz.   If you have any books or videos you can recommend, please let me know.

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In a perfect world, I thought at some point I'd be able to reunite mother and daughter.
Clearly, it is a perfect world, because lo and behold, there they are - together.
Originally Posted by Annah8  

If you have any books or videos you can recommend, please let me know.
Go back and read what you've written.  There are countless books which purport to explain what you've already done.  You don't need a book; just Love them, and let them Love you back.  Time will do the rest - it always does.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

annah8

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi - Thank you for your comments. 

The photo is just a split-image of two different photos - they are not truly together in the same room.  Unfortunately I can't seem to find those "countless of books" as you say. I need books specific to strays, and I don't think typical cat books help beyond general issues.  Stray cats, like feral, seem to need unique handling in some ways, as their experiences are different from your typical household cat.  No, books aren't everything, but it's a start.  Above all I would like to hear first-hand thoughts/experiences re: strays.

Rest assured, we have so far a wonderful loving exchange. 

If anyone out there can look at my questions and share their experience, strength and hope, I would greatly appreciate it.

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Annah8  

Issue one: We’re not sure if we can handle two extra forever cats.   They are the first stray cats I’ve EVER captured and cared for, and it’s a lot to handle – at times exhausting when I have to split my time between Savannah (in the studio) and Hannah, Lucien and Sasha (in the house).   Lucien and Sasha are my two 13 year old cats, rescues as well who came with a husband.   I just don’t know how much longer I can keep doing it, on top of juggling school, part-time work, and maintaining a household.   I know if we had to, we wouldn’t have a problem getting Hannah adopted in a loving home: she is still a kitten, by next month her vet needs will have been completely fulfilled, and for the most part she is very sweet.   As for Savannah, she's a bigger concern.  If I had known sooner NOT TO TOUCH OR SOCIALIZE Savannah if I was going to just catch/release, I wouldn’t have gone down the touching/socializing road.  Also getting her adopted will be the most difficult.   It will have to be someone who’s committed and willing to be loving, patient with her and pick up where I’ve left off.
First: rescuing Savannah and Hannah - and keeping them together - would be a wonderful thing indeed.  Integrating two younger cats into an established older two-cat household isn't always a walk in the park, but it's always worth the effort, and Savannah and Hannah will be forever grateful.

There are a number of good threads in the Ferals and Strays Forum on integration; this might be among the best:

http://www.thecatsite.com/t/331208/meet-buggy

Cats - unlike people - are very accepting of one another as a general rule.  I've been a multiple cat household since 1984 (ten cats currently - eight in the main house and two in the Cat Palace - i.e. the guest house).  I'd passed sixty when I decided to take in my last pair - who are nearing the point of being added to the clowder in the main house - and questioned the wisdom of taking in two more ferals (these aren't strays - they're generations-born-in-the-wild feral), but leaving them outside as Winter bore down simply wasn't an option, and separating a Mother and Daughter later

Introducing a single new cat into a one cat household is much harder than introducing two cats into a multiple-cat household.  Everyone already has a Friend to begin with, and it makes interaction far simpler.  You'll find, given the chance, that Lucien and Sasha will eventually come to accept Hannah and Savannah completely - it's just a matter of time and patience.  Please don't give up on the idea of keeping them together, and do ask any specific questions here as needed.  This is an extremely supportive community, and everyone here is in your corner.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
First off, please do not release the kitty back outside.  Even if she lives in a room of her own or hides some/part of the day, it is much safer and warmer for her to be in a home.

I have brought 2 stray/feral cats into my home and will be bringing 3 more inside within the next year.  Currently I have 3 indoor cats ( 2 former ferals) and 3 outside ferals that are now semi ferals.  It takes tons and tons of work, tons and tons of patience.  I was never a patient person, but this has taught be so much.  

Yes, there are books to read and stories to read, but each cat  and introduction is different.  There are so many factors involved that cannot be easily summarized into a nice bundle.  It can depend on how many cats, what the room/house situation is like, the personality of each cat and the amount of time you can spend with them.  In order for the maximum socialization, it takes daily work.  It takes commitment.  

I would move Savannah into the main house and give socialization a try.  Your other cats are still getting used to the kitten so it's best to see how they would do with the other cat too.  After a week or so you can start some scent swapping. She will need a room of her own.  It should be cat proofed.  If there is a bed, it must be flat on the floor or picked up.  You DO NOT want her hiding under the bed.  Also block off  behind and under large furniture.  Watch for windows too.  Keep them tightly closed.  So many cats are able to squeeze out of open windows by popping the screens.   Feliway plug ins would be very helpful.  THey are now making them for multi cat households.  I have been using them for the past 4 months and they are working very well.  Here is a great article on working with shy/ fearful cats

http://bestfriends.org/resources/socializing-cats-how-socialize-very-shy-or-fearful-cat

Hannah needs to be spayed.  Her hormones are most likely coming into play.  She is a kitten and kittens have tons and tons of energy.  Do you play with her?  She really needs to get moving each day multiple times.  Some time down the road, she may bond back with her mother and the two can learn to play.  There is a cat philosophy of Hunt, Catch, Kill, Eat, Groom, Sleep.  You play with the cat (Hannah especially, but Savannah might like this at some point too) until they are exhausted.  With a kitten this can take 20 minutes or so.  Try a laser or the da bird wand toy.  She want her worn out.  During the play session, she will hunt, catch and kill.  Next she needs to be rewarded for the kill.  A special snack.  I like to give a few bites of plain cooked chicken or canned tuna.  A small plate of wet food too.  Just make it something special.  Next she will be tired.  You can either brush her or she will groom herself and nap.  This teaches cats to have confidence and to be calmer as they have been fully satisfied from the hunt, catch, kill and eat.

I also suggest you do a search or just look through all of the amazing threads here.  There are just so many with such helpful advice.

I will post an introduction video that is fantastic as well as a few articles.  It will be at the bottom of this post.

I also will post a few pictures of a setup I have used for introductions.  I have used a screen door that I attached to the existing door with tension rods.  I also made a barrier with metal shelving.  I had Home Depot cut one 12' long wire shelving piece into three, 4' long pieces.  I then attached them with zip ties.  I added a baby gate to the door way and then the barrier.  It works so well.  

Here are my pictures of screen door and barrier and the video and articles below.

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/the-ultimate-yet-simplified-guide-to-introducing-cats

http://www.catbehaviorassociates.com/a-simple-little-trick-to-use-during-new-cat-introductions/

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

annah8

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So much good guidance. Thank you all very much!!