Savage Cat Food

Ash's_Devoted_Owner

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello! This is the second thread I have posted because I am having a great time here on TCS. I am asking this question because I have been on the fence about raw food for a while now; I live with an immunocompromised individual, although they would not be handling the cat food... I would like to decide whether I should keep my cat on his current diet or switch to raw, but I know one thing for certain: if I switch to raw, I would switch to commercial raw. I understand that there are a LOT of people here who feed their own raw blends, and I commend them. But, at the moment, I don’t even have enough time to go to the grocery store. As a result, I have been eyeing this food (SAVAGE CAT FOOD – Increase your cat’s health and longevity by feeding a raw prey-based diet.) for a while now, and I would like to know if anyone has experience feeding it. There are very few online reviews on it, so I was a little skeptical, but I think that it is a quality food. What do you guys think?

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I have never heard of it. It looks yummy,for a cat. Can you get a sample. I bought some once that none of my cats liked. One of 3 cats I fed raw to slowly adding it. She threw all the food up after 3 days

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It looks very decent and I'd consider it (there's even a local store that now sells it!). But one of our cats tends to get constipated so I'd want to know how much bone it has. The only thing that would concern me is the bone, though I confess that I don't remember what makes for a good calcium to phosphorus ratio, oops! (But good for the company for including that!)

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
It looks very decent and I'd consider it (there's even a local store that now sells it!). But one of our cats tends to get constipated so I'd want to know how much bone it has. The only thing that would concern me is the bone, though I confess that I don't remember what makes for a good calcium to phosphorus ratio, oops! (But good for the company for including that!)
I just emailed them about it

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ash's_Devoted_Owner

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The perfect calcium to phosphorus ratio is 1.1:1 (Savage's Chicken food has a ca:p ratio of 1.14:1. You can find that out by dividing the calcium percentage by the phosphorus percentage). I am not sure about the bone, but if your cat does get constipated often, it contains psyllium seed husk for fiber.
I have never heard of it. It looks yummy,for a cat. Can you get a sample. I bought some once that none of my cats liked. One of 3 cats I fed raw to slowly adding it. She threw all the food up after 3 days
Yikes... I definitely want to avoid that. Here I thought that slowly transitioning a cat's food could solve all vomit-related issues... I might email them about a sample, but I am still kind of on the fence about it. I did pick up some freeze-dried raw today just to see how Ash (my cat) would react to it, and he did LOVED it when it was still in the pellet form. He wasn't too keen on it after I reconstituted it, though. I have got to say that I probably did it wrong... we'll see how it goes in the morning when I actually add warm water instead on room-temperature.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just emailed them about it
If you mean the bone, I'd love to hear what they say!

The perfect calcium to phosphorus ratio is 1.1:1 (Savage's Chicken food has a ca:p ratio of 1.14:1. You can find that out by dividing the calcium percentage by the phosphorus percentage). I am not sure about the bone, but if your cat does get constipated often, it contains psyllium seed husk for fiber.
Thank you for the refresher on the ratio! I'm not sure how psyllium seed husk works for Ireland (I don't think we're currently feed anything that contains it) but I do know (based on finickiness and hesitance to eat) that Purpose turkey must have more bone than Purpose chicken. As soon as I cut back on the turkey, she started eating well again. :)

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
If you mean the bone, I'd love to hear what they say!

Thank you for the refresher on the ratio! I'm not sure how psyllium seed husk works for Ireland (I don't think we're currently feed anything that contains it) but I do know (based on finickiness and hesitance to eat) that Purpose turkey must have more bone than Purpose chicken. As soon as I cut back on the turkey, she started eating well again. :)
Whole chicken with bones*, chicken hearts*, chicken liver*, egg yolks, water, certified organic psyllium husk powder, wild salmon oil, taurine, vitamin E supplement, bovine adrenal tissue, bovine spleen tissue, ovine thymus tissue, porcine pancreas tissue, salt, vitamin B complex (thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin supplement, niacin, pantothenic acid, pyridoxine hydrochloride, biotin, folic acid, vitamin B12 supplement).

They emailed me back
*All chicken is certified organic, free range, certified humane and antibiotic free.

Guaranteed Analysis
Protein: 13% min.
Fat: 6% min.
Fiber: .5% max.
Moisture: 78% max.
Ash: 2.5% max.
Calcium: .8%
Phosphorus: .7%
Magnesium: .05%
Taurine: .2%
36 kcal ME/oz
Calcium to phosphorus ratio: 1.2:1
is found on Large Chicken Box – SAVAGE CAT FOOD.

We use whole animal and dilute the natural bone content down with a lot of organs. So for chicken we use whole chickens with additional chicken hearts and chicken livers. You can compare to other cat foods by looking at the Ash content in the guaranteed analysis. The ingredients and guaranteed analysis are on the product pages. For instance:

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What does dilute the bone meann?
It means they add extra organs to the mix so that the total bone content of the resulting grind is lower than whole chickens alone. I like the sound of that. I also like the single servings if you get the box instead of the tubs. All around, this looks like a good food and a good brand to try. I think I fed this to Krista once when she was having food issues and I was getting desperate. I believed she liked the rabbit well enough. But I don't think the bone content agreed with her. Or maybe she didn't like the food. I don't remember this one specifically. I just know that the uneaten servings were returned for store credit. Krista's IBD meant she was rejecting a lot of food, one way or another. 😿🤦‍♂️

Stella and Chewy Selects is their frozen boneless medallions. Krista liked the first bag. But then she wouldn't touch any from the next two bags. Thankfully the store took each back and that's the last we saw of the Selects. 1 for 3 may be good for baseball, but not so much for cat food. Darwin's Lamb recipe is boneless. Their others are not. I can't comment on that one though. Krista did not care for lamb or other red meats.

I think if you were going to try a commercial raw with ground bone, it sounds like Savage Cat has put some thought into the matter. They can tell you the Ca : P ratio. They have adjusted the bone content with extra organ meats. And they have put in extra fiber to help push it all through. I'm currently between cats. 😿 But I would try this food with my next one.👍

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with daftcat75 daftcat75 about liking the sound of "diluting" the bone content with organs. And also agree that Savage Cat really does seem to know what they're doing with their foods.

Our cats really liked the Stella and Chewy Selects but I haven't gotten it for them since the pandemic, though I may try them on it again in the fall.

Finally, daftcat75, I want to say that Krista was a lucky cat and that the next cat that comes into your life will be a lucky cat, too. ❤

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This looks like an ideal food for Leroy but too expensive with any of the membership options :sigh: According to the store locator, there's one pet store that now carries the food but I don't go out that way anymore. Maybe I can ask the pet store I frequent about carrying the brand.

Ash's_Devoted_Owner

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would just like to say thank you to everyone who replied on this thread. I might try Savage at some point, but I am feeding my cat Feline Natural freeze-dried raw and he seems to be doing very well on it and likes it a lot. I know that some people have inquired about the bone content and such with that brand, so I am feeding it with his his Tiki Cat: After Dark and Ziwi Peak Air-Dried. I think that Savage looks like a quality brand, but I like the convenience and shelf-stability of the freeze-dried, so I am probably going to stick to that for now. I am also looking at Purpose, since they seem like a good brand, too. Again, I am thanking everyone who replied to this thread and the valuable information that I have received.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think that Savage looks like a quality brand, but I like the convenience and shelf-stability of the freeze-dried, so I am probably going to stick to that for now. I am also looking at Purpose, since they seem like a good brand, too. Again, I am thanking everyone who replied to this thread and the valuable information that I have received.
Yes, we also love the convenience and shelf stability of freeze-dried foods! Right now we only feed freeze-dried raw. Our cats love Primal pork (which is relatively low in bone) and Purpose chicken, which also seems to be relatively low in bone. I bought a couple bags of Purpose turkey when Chewy had a big sale but Ireland started getting picky about her food when I mixed it with the chicken. Cutting the turkey back to just a little bit per serving seemed to get her back to (her!) normal.

Our cats loved Feline Natural's lamb/chicken but I was too uncertain about the bone. That said, I bought a small package of lamb Meat Mates during the Chewy sale... the same company makes it but Ireland should do fine with small amounts. The cats love lamb so it's a good treat.

Here's hoping your current food combination continues to work for everybody and remains available!
🤞

Ash's_Devoted_Owner

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Here's hoping your current food combination continues to work for everybody and remains available!
🤞
Thank you! You too. Ash (my cat) has been loving the Feline Natural (I finally got the water/food ratio right lol) but I have noticed the bone in it. Haven’t noticed any issues like constipation etc. I do know that it contains flaxseed, and I love the prebiotics/probiotics it that. So far I have not seen it out of stock anywhere. I used to feed Royal Canin (which I hate now that I am on the BEG/BARF diet kick) and I had to search and search to find it anywhere. I love the ingredients, my cat loves the food... it is a win-win for me!