Saturday's Question of The Day 9th November

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Hello again.   Mani has asked me to cover for her again this week so I have had to exercise a few of my brain cells again and think of another question. 

My biggest problem has been time to think.  I have had quite a busy week at work and by the time I got home in the evenings my head was quite worn out.  The most interesting thing is that I have never been able to sleep well but for some reason this week I have slept like a log, and not woken up early in the mornings.  
     I slept in and ended up being late for work twice this week which is unheard of for me. Today I didn't get up until after noon and missed out on doing several things I needed to get done.  SO  -

When is the last time you slept in and ended up being late for something important?   

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I can't think of the last time, honestly! I usually wake up long before the alarm goes off. I'm an early bird.

andrya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Early bird here too. lt's unusual for the alarm to wake me up, l seem to know when it's time, even when my alarm is set for different times.

l can tell you about a time when my alarm DID wake me up. l got out of bed all groggy and couldn't believe l'd slept right up to the alarm. Went downstairs and saw that l'd forgotten to set the coffee maker. Went to start it and realized it was set but just hadn't gone off. Huh? That's when l started fully waking up and realized that my alarm clock had been moved ahead - by 4 hours!! Now who with their fuzzy little feet walking all over the buttons would do that??

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
It's been 5 or 6 years since I did that. I'm another early bird and am usually awake well before the alarm goes off.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise

Early bird here too. lt's unusual for the alarm to wake me up, l seem to know when it's time, even when my alarm is set for different times.

l can tell you about a time when my alarm DID wake me up. l got out of bed all groggy and couldn't believe l'd slept right up to the alarm. Went downstairs and saw that l'd forgotten to set the coffee maker. Went to start it and realized it was set but just hadn't gone off. Huh? That's when l started fully waking up and realized that my alarm clock had been moved ahead - by 4 hours!! Now who with their fuzzy little feet walking all over the buttons would do that??

Clever kitty! 

-_aj_-

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have never been late for anything, I hate the thought of being late, im up before my alarm goes off on a morning and just incase its always set half an hour sooner than needed

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It has been awhile since, but I have accidently slept in a couple times in the past. One time I slept in and was almost late for a final exam
 there was a small power outage in the middle of the night, which rebooted my digital clock and cancelled the alarm. At any rate, still definitely became much more strict/careful with myself after that!

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
MServant, it sounds like maybe you are fighting a cold or something and that's why your body wants to sleep so heavily. 

I'm not sure I've ever slept in and been late for something, if I did it has been decades and I don't remember. I don't like being late for anything and am a light sleeper - I'm also kind of hyper and a clock-watcher so I guess that's why. If I have to catch a flight in the morning I pretty much don't sleep at all.

Last edited:

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am retired so never have to get up early.  When I was working I was usually up before the alarm went off.  When I make a Dr. appt. I always make them early afternoon so I don't have to get up early, I hate having to get up early especially in the winter.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise

MServant, it sounds like maybe you are fighting a cold or something and that's why your body wants to sleep so heavily. 

I'm not sure I've ever slept in and been late for something, if I did it has been decades and I don't remember. I don't like being late for anything and am a light sleeper - I'm also kind of hyper and a clock-watcher so I guess that's why. If I have to catch a flight in the morning I pretty much don't sleep at all.
Thank you,  I am usually far more like everyone else here and am a light sleeper who gets up early so I'm treating it like my body's giving me a message to slow down a little bit as I need the rest. I too am a clockwatcher and don't sleep much if I've got to travel in the morning - I get so stressed with it I avoid any travel where I've got to make connections!

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise

That's FUNNY!

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm a night owl, but school/clinical makes me get up early. Fear of being late makes me wake up in panic often during the night, so I haven't overslept in years. Thank goodness for naps!

dejolane

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't sleep in that much but last week I got up showered and got ready for this doctor appointment and 1 hour before I was ready to leave they called and said the doctor had to cancel. He had an  family emergency. I could have slept in that day.

wildhoneybee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A couple of months ago my alarm turned itself off in the middle of the night (really, it is an app on my phone and I could see that it had stopped) - I was woken up by my doorbell ringing as it was the one day that I was giving someone else a lift to work!  Bad timing!

I used to have trouble with my sleep patterns when I was a shift worker and I once did a night shift with 24 hours off and then a day shift - I completely slept through my alarm that time!

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I can't tell you when the last time was that I actually overslept. Our alarm clock died back during the spring. Rick said we should buy a new alarm, but I said we don't need one. We have Bootser, our feline alarm clock. We never bothered to get a new alarm clock. And we're always awake bright and early......around 3:30 or 4:00. There's no such thing as sleeping in in our house. It just doesn't happen.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Thank you once again, MServant...
and for reminding me of a very embarrasing situation...

I've taught yoga from my home for many years.  About 10 years ago I had an early morning class (before it became obvious it was not a good idea to have that much traffic so early in a residential area).

Normally people just come in and take up their place on ther mats, but I'd been unwell, forgotten the alarm, and there they all were lined up at the door, ringing the bell.

Now that's embarrasing....

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
  I am a nervous Nelly if I have to wake up for anything to be on time! I always wake up atleast an hour before the alarm goes off, even if it is hours before usual time!

However I do remember over sleeping a few times 20 years ago and being late for work, was fired once because..................