Saturday's question of the day, 2nd November

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Question of the day Saturday 2nd November. 

As Mani is off on her yoga weekend, perhaps practicing those yoga positions Sundar has been demonstrating, I have been asked to cover today's question.  

I got to thinking, November seems to be right in the middle of celebrations and festivals of all sorts.  With Thanksgiving, All Hallows Eve, All Saints Day, Diwali, Muharram, and Hanukkah,   along side the count down to Christmas whether it is viewed as Christian or pagan in origin,  to mention but a few this seems to be a particularly busy and significant season. With Halloween, All Saints Day, and Diwali and the triumph of good over evil, all within a matter of days this has been an especially busy few days across the world!

Then my imagination got going and I thought about what I knew about different festivals and what I liked about them...  

Mine is New Year's Eve (or Hogmanay).  Not for the reasons people might expect. I see it as a time to reflect and move on, to say goodbye to things past and welcome the refreshing changes and potential of the coming year.  I don't usually go out or party, I spend New Year's Eve quietly tidying and cleaning my home, putting away any seasonal decorations I might have had out, and giving the place the most thorough clean of the year.  I chat to family and friends, and if I go out for a walk or to visit someone I soak up the happy party atmosphere with everyone in the streets wishing each other a happy new year.  No matter what the weather is like everyone seems so much more welcoming and cheerful than they do in the usual dark days of winter.

What is your favourite celebratory festival and why?         

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Being Jewish, Hanukkah was always a big deal growing up even though we weren't very religious.  Now that I'm older (and have no kids) it's taken a back seat but, I still look forward to  lighting my menorah and making special foods  for the holiday.  I do not use an electric menorah, I always use one that takes real wax candles.  Always make potato latkes, and if I have time, from scratch.  I look forward to sending gifts to all of my nieces and nephews and of course, my BF will get me gifts so that's a plus lol.  And he always manages to find something I really love, don't know how he does it, even the small silly things.   Last year, he  found me a huge chocolate menorah from one of the premier chocolate makers in NYC!  Yes I shared it with him 

And yes, I will buy gifts for the kitties.  This year is especially worth marking as by then Cocoabean will have been with us just shy of a year. 

The holiday is a reminder of my heritage, and brings up warm memories of my parents and others who have long passed.  It's kind of a bummer it winds up on Thanksgiving this year - it will get overshadowed by it somewhat, plus I always associate the holiday with cooler weather.  

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
 MServant! Good question! (You know that Abby's Mom is looking for someone to do the Tuesday QoTD, right? 
)

As much as I dearly love Christmas, I think I agree with your choice of New Year's Eve and I'd throw in New Year's Day, too. And for a lot of the same reasons. We don't party anymore; most of the time it's just Rick and me and we watch several movies that we've rented. Or we'll get together with close friends for a night of card-playing. But it's the last night of the year and it's time to put away the old year and welcome in the new one....with everything the new year will bring. And no matter what the new year will bring, we know we can handle it.

On New Year's Day, we usually put our holiday decorations away and clean up the house (although the last couple of years, Rick has wanted to wait an extra week or so to put away the tree in the living room). But the house is clean and tidy and we have that night to ourselves, even if he's just watching football and I'm reading or watching a movie. It's the first day of the rest of the year.

Last edited:

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
These days, I really love Christmas. Having a kid 15 years ago reignited the flame since it was so fun to see everything through her eyes! 

It haven't always been this way, in my adult life I've spent half-a-dozen Christmases by myself (with my kitties of course) without any special food or anything, I was  a poor student and didn't want to go to my abusive parents' house. My siblings all had spouses and children to celebrate with, so I'd just pretend it was another day.

My birthday is Dec. 12 and when I was a kid, my parents didn't do much for our birthdays, so I used to pretend all the decorations and fuss were for me. 
 Whatever "gets you through the night," right?

Now I love the Christmas lights, and the songs, and the parties! I love giving gifts and the special foods. I'm pretty excited about Christmas already can you tell?

Last edited:

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My first favourite "holiday" celebration is Halloween.  It is the time to let your hair down, and just have fun.

My next favourite (which it always hasn't been), is Christmas.  It's only been in the last 10 years or so, if that, that I've been enjoying it. Mainly because my brother and I have been really working at our relationship, and I've been spending Christmas at his house with some of our family and some of his girl friend's family.  It is always such a great time with the emphasis on the company, food and just plain having fun with games and talking and laughing.  It's not a materialistic time at all.

The materialisticness of Christmas is what stopped me from celebrating it for decades. I just couldn't stand the "gimme" aspect of it.

christinemarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would say Easter, for the full significance of it celebrates the sacrifice of Jesus Christ dying on the cross, & His resurrection on the 3rd day after His crucifixion.
It is the hope we His faithful have, that He promised He will return for the Church at the end of the Age. And according to Bible prophecy, all the signs are there this is very soon, if you have eyes to see them!
I have never particularly cared for the secular fluff & cutesy Easter bunnies or chocolate eggs, as it has nothing to do with the true meaning of what God has done to make a way for redeeming our souls... Absolutely awesome, when you think about it! :D

Last edited:

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Thank you, MServant, for doing this.. great question! 

Mine is pretty esoteric... the full moon in July is ArcharyaPoornima, when the great spiritual teachers are honoured.

I either have a gathering at my place, or just go into a natural environment for the day. 

dejolane

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think every Holiday is special as long as you can share it with the family.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ivdon rereally have a special holiday. If anything it would have to be Hanukkah but when I was much younger. Probably for the pressies. But strangely enough I like Yom Kippur. This country is 90% locked down. People don't drive. It's not the law but us non-religious give respect to those who are fasting. So why do I like it? It's so quiet outside. Nobody shouting on their mobiles, no idiotic hooting. Just peace and this is the time that non-religious kids get on their bycicles and know they won't be run down. I do so like my peace and quiet.