Satin in cats in New Zealand

Minnie1234

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've recently discovered satin in my longhair cats. They are part of a breeding programme and I'm thinking it could be an accumulative gene similar to glitter as I've only really noticed it being very intense in last seasons kitten's, now a year old and the first litter of this season (four weeks old). In comparison to other satin cats I feel mine definitely have a more intense sparkle/shine and you can see some of the hairs actually look quite hollow. Is there anybody that studies this particularly? I will do my own study. I'm just finding there isnt much information out there. It's hard to post good photos but I have some videos that show it very well.
20210924_104101.jpg
20210924_104100.jpg
20210924_104048.jpg
20210924_103902.jpg
20210924_103902.jpg
20210924_103720.jpg
Thanks.

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
I only see glitter, not satin, personally — guessing some of your foundation cats were Bengals and you just kept the glitter in their fur through the generations.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Minnie1234

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there, no the Bengal was not used at anytime in this breeding programme. It would serve no purpose and a sparkly coat was never even considered in my breeding programme. This appears to act differently than the Glitter gene and I am doubtful it is recessive as it is still showing up when two different unrelated lines are bred together. That, of course, would be the simple answer. It has been confirmed that it definitely looks like satin by a satin breeder and I haven't personally seen this look in a Bengal. It was quite interesting when I zoomed right in on a photo and saw the colour reflecting off the hair, some purple, some rainbow coloured. Thanks.
Screenshot_20210928-001618_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20210928-001557_Gallery.jpg

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
What is your breed? Do you know of any satin in the background?

Grant Sachs

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I found this post after discovering the same effect in my kittens fur. He is a gray tabby. It's super neat!

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you taking extreme closeups of a cat's fur with an iPhone camera?

The rainbow effects you are seeing are most likely caused by chromatic aberration as the light passes through the lens of the camera. It's the same effect you would see in the classic school experiment where light passing through a glass prism can project a rainbow. It takes a relatively expensive camera lens system to compensate for it and I'm pretty certain that iPhones don't have that kind of lens.

The rest of the "satin" effects you might see are because the camera is focused at an extremely close distance with electronic image magnification set at a high level. Basically a very blurry image is being blown up to a very large magnification which turns the resulting image into a blurry soup of indistinct features.

It would take a special microscope camera or, at least, a standard camera with a special macro lens to get the kind of photos you need.

Just to be sure, I like what you're doing with your cat breeding to create cats with satin fur. By your other pictures, it looks like you are very close if not already there. :)