Sassy - 17yr Old Cat - Appetite Issue (early Ckd)

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Just keep an eye on her to see if she continues to throw up. I think it becomes more common for older cats to occasionally throw up - for whatever reason, especially if in recent time they have been 'under the weather' in general. Feeby has done so a couple of times in the past month - not her norm over the years. Each time she did it was pretty quickly after eating and the food came back up indigested (did Sassy's?). The first time, I am not sure why; but, it could have been from going longer hours overnight without eating anything. I am thinking the second time - I fed her a piece of deli turkey - the food was either going bad or just didn't settle well since it wasn't her normal food. On the last occasion, she went right to her dry food bowl to 're-fill' her tummy and did not throw up again. She, too, didn't do any kind of build up to vomiting, it just came up as she was walking away. I hope Sassy doesn't have another bout of vomiting!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

miguel99nyc

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just keep an eye on her to see if she continues to throw up. I think it becomes more common for older cats to occasionally throw up - for whatever reason, especially if in recent time they have been 'under the weather' in general. Feeby has done so a couple of times in the past month - not her norm over the years. Each time she did it was pretty quickly after eating and the food came back up indigested (did Sassy's?). The first time, I am not sure why; but, it could have been from going longer hours overnight without eating anything. I am thinking the second time - I fed her a piece of deli turkey - the food was either going bad or just didn't settle well since it wasn't her normal food. On the last occasion, she went right to her dry food bowl to 're-fill' her tummy and did not throw up again. She, too, didn't do any kind of build up to vomiting, it just came up as she was walking away. I hope Sassy doesn't have another bout of vomiting!!!
Wow!! so similar! Well yeah it did seem mostly indigested, there was a lot of liquid with it the giblets that come in those fancy feast gravy lovers can came as if she didnt chew it? So yeah it was mostly indigested. Though as mentioned before, it didn't happen like IMMEDIATELY after, maybe about 8 minutes roughly after she cleaned her face as always after eating, sat, walked around and then came to my room and threw up. Usually when I see them throw up, they like gag several times or they winding up ? not sure how to explain it. even when Sassy throws up water in past, she would wind up that vomit sveeral times and then throw up. This time she stepped on the box right before got ot my bed and just let it all out with no noise. All i heard just the food/slush come out onto the floor.

THen yeah she ate some dry food but didnt throw that up.

miguel99nyc

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Happy New Year everyone!

Hope all is well.

Another update on Sassy - appetite slight issue same as before or actually some time ago where the past two mornings Id give her food like normla but just eat little bit of it and walks quickly away from kitchen. It's just been only past 2 mornings including today and I'd hand feed her bit in my room like this morning and she ate most of it. Dinners past nights have been fine though eating her normal amount and plus dry food as snack during the day. She isn't vomitting nor diarrhea either so that seems fine. Drinking water fine as well though this morning seemed like she drank more water then usual while i was in bathroom (her bowl is there too) and that water backing up was evident as she was like trying to spit up but nothing came out. Maybe she was full on water plus that water regurgitating back made her lose her appetite this morning...so I will monitor it. But she didnt throw up the water or anything.

miguel99nyc

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hello,

Hope everyone here has been staying safe in such hard times of this stupid virus. Its crazy out there with everything going on.

Just an update/inquiry on Sassy here. She's 18 yrs old and I gotta admit, these past months felt like she been aging backwards, hoping around jumping on top of desk, or going to the window to view outside, and just casually walking around. No real eating issues quite honestly since...last post here. However, these past few weeks have been rather..interesting.

Before in the past, she'd eat primarily roughly 3 times a day - morning wet food, some dry food afternoon snack, then dinner wet food. In the past weeks, she began to ask for food quite often - nearly once every 3-4 hours! She wouldn't eat alot but primarily ask for dry food which I know isn't the best for her because of her CKD (if she has it? been questioning it since posting 3 years ago about her bloodowrk and all). So she would come to my desk chair, wake up from her sleep and meow at me to get attention and walks with me to the kitchen. So I thought okay shes been quite hungry - eating then about up to 5-6 times a day. She'd eat maybe SLIGHTLY less during her main meals but other times she still ate normal amount so I guess her appetite increased? But what did seem odd was how...restless she'd been? Because normally she would sleep after breakfast at least all the way until lunch time, ask for some dry food, then goes to sleep all way to dinner usually. But in the past few weeks she wakes up nearly every 3 hours. She barely strings sleep of more then 3 hours except maybe at night time when we all sleep. I mean i guess it was ok that she walks around and sleepsfar less then she used to? In those times she wakes up, if it wasn't food she'd go drink some water , walk around apartment, or jump to window to view outside. And even right now ( she went to sleep at around7am somebreakfast meal, and now 9am just woke up again to drink water and walk around). So it's strange. Nothing seems off from her other then asking for bit more food repeatdely and not stringing longer sleeps as before.Unless that meant she had been ill in months past that made her sleep alot more? There were even times in months past she'd sleep literally all day and not even move to get around, just maybe once or twice would get up during entire day and thats it. Which I thought was normal for her age? But its confusing now that she wakes up literally every 3-4 hours, even over night...wakes me up at 4am she uses bathroom or shed want food.

Secondly, her eating. So as she has overall been eating fine again past months, moreso past few weeks, well more than her normal in the past recent weeks, as of 3 days ago however, she began her issue of yet again not wanting to eat in the kitchen - shed give few licks and walk away. She would then wait in my bedroom and I'd feed her there so it was ok I guess. She still has her moments. But now she been stringing toegether a streak of past 3 days of not really eating well. She'd still ask for dry food throughout day (i don't give her a lot, maybe a spoon or twoo of dry food that satisfies her) but come meal time for wet food, she barely eats and Ive been rotating VARIOUS flavors canns too. Some work some didnt. This morning was far worse where she wouldnt want to get near food until opened a Sheeba pate (her normal is the friskies filets or oceanfish fancy feast gravy lovers). Sheeba is like a last backup but I spoonfed her that and ate some. Usually takes a few days of this no feeling to eat/being scared to eat in kitchen (though she eats dryfood fine in kitchen), its so hard to figure her out. I haven't taken her to vet in a long time especially now with the covid issue, but again these past months shed been perfect as far as appetite. Just now of late again she been acting up like before.

Any thoughts? I'd take her to the vet to get bloodwork and all checked again, but im surprised but importantly, SO THANKFUL her CKD hasn't progressed (visually at least) since 2016 diagnosis. Perhaps I got lucky...but I love her so much and Im grateful she's still around. Also she hasn't really thrown up in months either and hasn't acted "sick" or anything getting worse. So it's very confusing.

Would appreciate any thoughts, apologize for long story.