Super Cat
Purraise
And he goes to the clinic tomorrow to get his "boy parts" removed

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sneakymom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The paperwork I filled out at the city shelter said he was 7.5 weeks.  But the woman that I talked to at the shelter said "Uh uh- he's WAY older than that, you need to get him on the books for surgery ASAP".  The vet on Monday said he was somewhere between 14-16 weeks.  And at the care clinic today- they said he was about 16 weeks. 

And looking at a calendar- that would be about right.  His cage info at the shelter said he was brought in as a stray on June 6th (somewhere about that).  If it was a situation where someone had a momma cat- they couldn't get rid of all the kittens, so they brought him in- June 6th he would have been about 8ish weeks.  And that's about the time where they can leave momma right?

With the last 2 cats we got as kittens, it was much easier to tell.  Sneaky Pie was born at MIL's house- MIL actually found her and momma.  And with Holly- a friend found a momma (that they thought was a boy at first LOL) she had kittens and they needed homes.  Both times we had pretty much exact dates of when they were born. 

I worry about them getting "snipped" so little.  But on the other hand- we had a "sprayer" with our last male cat, and I do NOT want to have to deal with that again.  Yeah he had issues- but I don't know if the owner he had before us got him fixed at an early age or not.

Cheryl

sneakymom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
And then- I paid for a rabies vaccination when I didn't have to

On the paperwork this morning- they had something about a shot they were going to give him.  I asked and they said "Oh that's rabies".  Ugh, if I had read that- I wouldn't have had the vet give it to him on Monday.  Good thing I checked, I don't think a double dose would hurt him, but you just never know.  I just can't believe I paid 2 times for a shot.  Oh well, it's a donation to the Humane Society.

Cheryl

sneakymom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
He's got worms
  I had to do a stool sample and it came back positive.  So he's on medicine for the next 10 days. 

It's a life lesson for the kids.  I can't give him the medicine myself.  I can do the pain meds the doctor that did his neuter gave him, that goes on his food.  And I checked- it's not interacting with the parasite meds.  But- I need help. 

I let them sleep until 8am, and then I was able to catch him (he likes to hide- I think it's more playing than anything else) put him into the carrier.  Then I stood outside bedrooms and said "Ok- someone needs to get up NOW and hold this animal while I squirt medicine into his mouth".  Grumps, groans etc, but I did get a teenager up. 

Afterwards (over blueberry muffins I made) we had a talk.  About how much they wanted this cat.  And we have to be responsible owners.  And yes it is a PITA having to get up early and give him medicine.  Esp since vacation ends in less than a week for my college student.   But it will hurt him (and could hurt Holly and maybe even us) if we don't take care of it.  And it is irresponsible to take this animal back to the pound for 10 days worth of inconvenience. 

And what makes me happy is that they GOT IT!
  You know sometimes how "talks" go in one ear and out the other with teenagers?  This one stuck.

Cheryl