Sammie's Not Doing So Well..... :'(

Status
Not open for further replies.

kittylove53

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Kelly,I know how heartbroken you feel.I have been here so very many times with all my kitties.I am praying for a miracle for both you and Sammie.I am in tears as I am feeling the impact of Sammies sickness.I wish there was some magic healing for her.I have grown to love Sammie.She means so much to me too.I P.M.' ed you also.I want you to know that I am here for you anytime you need to talk.I am sending healing and good vibes to both of you.Hug and kiss Sammie all you can.She knows how much you love her.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kelly,I know how heartbroken you feel.I have been here so very many times with all my kitties.I am praying for a miracle for both you and Sammie.I am in tears as I am feeling the impact of Sammies sickness.I wish there was some magic healing for her.I have grown to love Sammie.She means so much to me too.I P.M.' ed you also.I want you to know that I am here for you anytime you need to talk.I am sending healing and good vibes to both of you.Hug and kiss Sammie all you can.She knows how much you love her.
Thanks Barbara!

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
The only positive I can take from this, is that she's not out there alone, suffering.
I wish you had better news too and we are all saddened by the prognosis. :sniffle:
You are absolutely right that she's not out there suffering alone - you have been by her side both day and night, and for that she is everlastingly grateful. :hugs:
Thinking of you and keeping Sammie in my prayers. :hearthrob:

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well....I was hoping for less fluid today, but..
She drained 184 CC's. 14 large syringes. :sigh::frown: It was a lot. That was after 5 days this time, vs/ 4. Our next appt is Sat. At 11:00.

I'm so sorry to hear that. My cat, too, had a quick fluid build up in her chest, it was back in matter of days, but we also saw that at a certain level of fluid, it wouldn't increase further.
Her limit was around 150 ml, it wouldn't grow beyond that even after weeks.

Did you notice that Sammie had trouble breathing before the draining?
And did you notice any difference in her breathing after the draining?

I'm asking because my cat had absolutely no trouble even when the fluid was at the max level, but she got a labored breathing for a couple of days after the draining.

[/QUOTE]Here's the x-ray from tonight. She weighed 9lbs before draining, & 8.4 after.[/QUOTE]

Mmmh, this sounds like the fluid has a very high specific weight, around 1.5, which is very high.
My cat had her fluid weighing 1.025...

I do hope that your Sammie is strong and fights with claws and teeth.

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks you guys. :grouphug: :hearthrob:

Antonio65 Antonio65 , I can see a little difference before, when needing to be drained. Her breathing is just a little labored. I think I see it more in the sinking on her sides when exhaling, but not too bad, or noticable unless you're looking closely. Even her vet said it didn't look too bad/ labored after 5 days vs/ 4. (Not in distress) I think she seems normal afterwards. It was just a lot of fluid!
She's not sure if the meds are helping, but are not hurting either. She drew a little blood to check her potassium, & it was perfect, right in the middle, where it should be she said, so that's good.
Our next appt is Sat. At 11:00. At this point, I'm guessing we will do every 5 days, dependining on how she does, untill it progresses. I'll ask on Saturday. I just keep an eye on her breathing, & if it seems a little faster than normal, I count them when she's resting. It should be around 30 breaths a min. As long as it's between 20 & 40.
She has been around 27, so that's good.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
Hi Kelly, just catching up with Sammie as I missed a few days. I'm so sorry for Sammie and that rhe fluid isn't slowing down. I was hoping for the lasix to do its thing. Maybe it is, maybe not. Sammie looks very healthy in that picture of you two.

We never know how long we have with our loved ones. I'm really sorry for the bad news at the vets. Maybe you two can spend the next few weeks together and as long as it's not hurting her and she is stable there is no reason to let her go at this stage. Obviously things may stay like this for awhile or they will speed up. i say that your vet knows best and you will see it in her eyes when she's ready.

I'm so sorry for this. I truly praying that you guys have more time together.

ericsmom1000

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am so very sorry for the poor prognosis. I had hoped the meds would buy Sammie more time. You and your vet will know when it's time for Sammie to join Angel. In the meantime, make her earthly journey as comfortable as possible. Sammie knows how much she is loved, and that is the most important thing of all.

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope Kelly has a house large enough to host us all :)
I wish I did!!!!! (Having to unexpectedly move BK home at age 49, was Not in the plan!!)

Thank you all for your prayers support, & love. It is felt, & very appreciated!
It really does make a difference. :grouphug2:

I got home around 2:30, & she hadn't finished her breakfast (ate maybe 1/3 - 1/2 this morning), so I gave her a cypro.
It's 4:00, & she still hasn't finished it. I think she just took a couple of bites, but that's it.
It's the beyond turkey & sweet potato, so she may want something different, because she did eat a few treats I gave her. She sometimes snubbes turkey, so at this time of day, it looks like I will be opening a can of sonethsom else. ....as long as she eats.

Last edited:

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just opened a can of beyond grain free trout & catfish. She hasn't had that one before.S Sheliked it. She ate for a good little while.
I gave her a little more than 1/2 a can, hoping she will eat it all & want more.
For now, I'm just glad she ate some.
Hopefully she'll come out & eat more later.
She went under my parents bed. She spent most of the day under there. She's laying on a stack of bathroom rugs w/ one of her blankets on top. It's a sleep number bed, so she has a lot of head room under there too.
This is where I got her to eat, while she was looking out the window.
IMG_20181127_161903561.jpg

kittylove53

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am glad to see Sammie looking out the window.That is a good place to feed her.Omelette spent a lot of time under the beds also!I had to wait for her to come out to pill and feed her.As long as she does come out. Omelette got to the point where she just did not want to be out! I was happy when she was on top of the bed.I know exactly what you are going through.I am praying for both of you!

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks Barbara. Yes, she ate almost all of the trout & catfish, so I just warmed up the other half of the can, & she ate a decent amount, ....with me holding the dish of course. So now, hopefully she'll finish it up later tonight. :)

"Anything for the princess" :lovecat4:
IMG_20181127_193620985.jpg

Now....
IMG_20181127_195557636.jpg

Last edited:

ericsmom1000

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Let me guess :)
Tawny, girl
Feeby, boy

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but English isn't my first language ;)
Your English is excellent -- far better than many native speakers of the language. English is my second language. Unfortunately, my mom didn't keep up the Japanese when we came to this country in 1965 (I was six), so I can no longer speak it. I speak more Spanish than Japanese. I have studied Italian, and it is a beautiful language. You can insult someone, but it sounds so nice that the person would thank you for it. Everything is better in Italian. For example, doesn't "quattroporte" sound better than "four doors?" Of course it does.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks Barbara. Yes, she ate almost all of the trout & catfish, so I just warmed up the other half of the can, & she ate a decent amount, ....with me holding the dish of course. So now, hopefully she'll finish it up later tonight. :)

"Anything for the princess" :lovecat4:
Cats are princes and princesses. They deserve all we do for them!

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have studied Italian, and it is a beautiful language. You can insult someone, but it sounds so nice that the person would thank you for it.
LOL! :lol:
Actually we have some very bad words too :lol:

I have read somewhere that Italian is the fourth more learned language in the world :)

Everything is better in Italian. For example, doesn't "quattroporte" sound better than "four doors?" Of course it does.
Yes, it probably does.
But over here people prefer to use English terms to describe things. Aren't we weird? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.