Salmonella From Your Pet To You?

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I assume most of us here aren't worried about our cats getting salmonella or us humans getting salmonella from making the food. But what about our cats giving us salmonella from licks after eating the raw food? That's a concern that I saw a vet make and something holding me back from making raw food for my cat.

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I assume most of us here aren't worried about our cats getting salmonella or us humans getting salmonella from making the food. But what about our cats giving us salmonella from licks after eating the raw food? That's a concern that I saw a vet make and something holding me back from making raw food for my cat.
@Carter1992 - Salmonellosis is indeed zoonotic, and the bacterial infection is transmissible. Personally I don't know of anyone who's contracted Salmonella from their cat, but it's certainly possible. After all, people are struck by lightning every day as well.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
It’s very unlikely to happen if you practice safe hygiene. I’ve been feeding raw for 10 years with no problem for me or my cats. You can get salmonella from handling raw meat for cooking your own food too. Again, just use safe handling practices.

If I had a small child or baby I might reconsider or be more vigilant, but otherwise I don’t worry.

My cats give me kisses on the face and rub their butts on me all the time. :biggrin:

By the way... dry kibble and canned food both also have the potential to carry harmful bacteria, especially dry.

lisamarie12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Never, I've never had any salmonella issues or salmonella concerns feeding raw to my two cats over the last 5-6 years, not with commercial or homemade -- and I even use the same sponge to clean both human and cat dishes, go figure ... :)

The only time I personally had any type of food poisoning was from eating bad takeout food.

Sounds like the usual, predictable, anti-raw fear mongering to me.

And now please excuse me while I go toss my Pepperidge Farm Goldfish and Ritz crackers which apparently have been tainted with salmonella.

Last edited:

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
My cats don’t lick me but they do drool on me when they go to their “happy place” when they’re kneading and purring. I just refrain from licking my arm until I can wash off the drool. And I don’t lick their fur ...although I do give plenty of kisses on their sweet little heads. :)

I’m always amazed at how persistent anti-raw vets are on this topic yet they say nothing about the fact that your cat tromps through its litter box and then over you, your furniture and your countertops. That it grooms itself (and you know what I mean) and then comes over and rubs all over you, including your face. If any of these things bothered me, I wouldn’t have had cats for the past 45 years...or really, any indoor pet.

I figure that my years of association with cats have strengthened my immune system. I’ve been bitten, peed on, and vomited on, and I’ve cleaned up lots of diarrhea. I believe that common sense and normal cleanliness will continue to see me through.

My cats are doing beautifully on their raw diet: healthy, shiny fur, energetic. And I’m healthy, too!

Lily: not only drool but also nose goo. :lol:
C16D50E9-0883-47AE-AEF7-E50DBA96804B.jpeg

Gauntylgrym

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My two siberians don't really lick me at all. But like tobermorey said...if they did I would just refrain from licking that place until I'd washed properly. :biggrin:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It’s very unlikely to happen if you practice safe hygiene. I’ve been feeding raw for 10 years with no problem for me or my cats. You can get salmonella from handling raw meat for cooking your own food too. Again, just use safe handling practices.

If I had a small child or baby I might reconsider or be more vigilant, but otherwise I don’t worry.

My cats give me kisses on the face and rub their butts on me all the time. :biggrin:

By the way... dry kibble and canned food both also have the potential to carry harmful bacteria, especially dry.
How do you guys normally clean up. I normally just use soap and that's it.

Gauntylgrym

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How do you guys normally clean up. I normally just use soap and that's it.
Just dish soap and water here. I clean the food dishes every morning, and they don't get any food outside of the dish. But if they did I would use bleach on the floor.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Dish soap and hot water here, too, with a dedicated sponge for cat related things. I use vinegar and water on the floor. Their food dishes all go into the dishwasher; I bought enough so I don’t have to hand wash, not because of safety but because of laziness. :)

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
Dish soap and hot water here, too, with a dedicated sponge for cat related things. I use vinegar and water on the floor. Their food dishes all go into the dishwasher; I bought enough so I don’t have to hand wash, not because of safety but because of laziness. :)
:yeah:

MargoLane

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Meat dishes and freezer containers all go in the dishwasher. I generally like to use natural cleaners, but since switching to raw, I keep a container of antibacterial wipes on hand. That way it's easy to wipe down the floor when she drops some meat on it, or wipe down the counters when I do. And then I wash my hands a normal amount, and definitely after scooping the litter box. (I would do that anyways, but it feels extra important when feeding raw)

goingpostal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I feel it’s unlikely, I’ve got a houseful of raw fed animals and have never gotten ill from them, that includes dogs, cats, ferrets, snakes, rodents, an iguana, for over a decade now and I don’t cover my home in bleach or wash my hands nonstop.

Sallysoo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Agreed totally with tobermorey. I have been with cats since very young and always love to smell their paws. ;P haha
Now I have my own kitty (coming to 2 yrs old) and he is on 100% homemade raw diet. Very blessed to have him and giving him the natural diet.
Yes, needless say surely one needs to wash hands with soap after handling waste and raw food, be it the kitty food or human food. Not only for hygiene but aso proper.
To this date, I still have the habit of smelling the kitty’s paw. Grrrr... he doesn’t think so Loh..