Salad ideas?

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi guys!

My MIL asked me to bring a salad to our Christmas dinner - made or store bought. The only real guidance I got was light, and vegetarian friendly. Needs to survive a 3ish hour car ride as well.

Does anyone have any good recipes or know if they have any good premade salads at like Whole Foods or Trader Joe's or any place like that?

Thanks!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I used a cauliflower salad a couple years ago made ahead and it travelled well, there are some variations on the internet that might work for you?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I make a chickpea salad that I really like, with cucumber, red onion, tomato (you might want to skip that, LOL) and celery, with red and balsamic vinegar for the dressing. I keep it in the fridge and eat over 3 days, so it should travel well.

There's lot of different recipes online. Here's one that's similar, except it uses lemon juice and olive oil.
Chickpea Salad with Cucumbers and Tomatoes

edit to add: the can of chickpeas does say to refrigerate after opening, so freezer packs might be a good idea for such a long drive.

Last edited:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I really like the Ready Veggies bag in the salad section at Trader Joes. You can add them to any salad. Toss in some shredded cheese if you like, simple and easy: Ready Veggies

As for traveling, it's been so cold in the Chicago area and even colder forecast this week that you shouldn't have any problem.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I really like the Ready Veggies bag in the salad section at Trader Joes. You can add them to any salad. Toss in some shredded cheese if you like, simple and easy: Ready Veggies

As for traveling, it's been so cold in the Chicago area and even colder forecast this week that you shouldn't have any problem.
This seems like my level of effort lately, and would keep it light, though the chickpea one looks interesting, too. J would like the chickpeas I bet.

We have cold packs, so they'll probably come along in the car.

Thanks for the suggestions!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you decide to try chickpeas with J, I recommend using organic canned ones like Amys or Yves, as I find they're better than regular canned ones.

And not a salad, but here's a snacky idea for chickpeas, which I've not tried yet, but keep meaning to,
How To Make Crispy Roasted Chickpeas in the Oven
She's had chickpeas before in other recipes and enjoys hummus well enough.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I highly recommend this simple salad -

Baby Kale Salad with Lemon, Parmesan & Crispy Roasted Chick Peas

You can buy a package of spring mix instead of the kale. They also sell the chickpeas already roasted and seasoned in the produce/nuts area. They sell shaved parmesan in the specialized cheese section. You can mix the dressing before and keep it on the side until you get there.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I'm thinking of Mandarin Orange and Pecan Salad, which is a favorite around here. You can buy a nice bagged salad, do your dressing and the sugared pecans ahead of time. A chilled can of mandarin oranges. Take it all along and then put the whole thing together once you're there. Let it chill in the fridge, add the pecans right before serving and you're good to go. You can either put the dressing on the salad or keep it in a pretty bottle and let everybody pour it on their servings.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's a regular in our house. I make it up and top it with a protein. Depending on the protein I don't always add the chickpeas.
I ended up making this, with a mixed kale/spinach/chard mix because that's what Target had, and I had to roast the chickpeas, but it was pretty easy to make and it was a big hit/completely gone!

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I ended up making this, with a mixed kale/spinach/chard mix because that's what Target had, and I had to roast the chickpeas, but it was pretty easy to make and it was a big hit/completely gone!

Oh good! It's a fairly easy salad to make considering how tasty it comes out.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m a KALE JUNKIE. So, here’s what you do: chop it all up into bite sized pieces, even the stems. Then, get lemon juice, olive oil, Bragg’s, clove or two of garlic, fresh pepper, and preferably large flaked nutritional yeast. Blend that all up to taste. Everybody is different—- I like it a little on the lemony side. Blend ‘til foamy…mixture should be liquidy/foamy from the lemon juice, not thick from the yeast. Pour over kale. Wait, if you can, so it soaks in a little (I never can wait). Best blenders are the kind that make health drinks or those power blenders on a stick. YUM.

Last edited:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
wow, I'll have to try that when next month rolls around and I get back on the straight and narrow regarding diet :)