Said goodbye to Tarka on Tuesday

shadowfein

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
On Tuesday, I had to make the heartbreaking decision to put my beautiful Tarka girl to sleep. She had given me so much love and had fought for so long, it was tempting to ask her to carry on for just a little bit longer, but it wasn't fair. She asked me to let her go.

I got Tarka in April 2003 and she and I bonded immediately. I picked her up and she snuggled underneath my chin against my throat and just purred and purred. Through all the bad times when she couldn't walk and she was incontinent she never lost her sweet nature. And in the last 2 and a half years, when her spinal condition flared up again, and she got diabetes and then had near constant bladder infections she was unfailingly loving and tolerant.

I'll never have another companion like her. I'll never love another cat like her and I will miss her forever but I do take a some solace from knowing that I did the right thing for her and that I will see her again sometime. And that right now, she is young and whole and healthy again.

Tarka - 8th December 2002 - 14th April 2020

I am heartbroken though. 😭

Attachments

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Having your heart broken is a part of the grieving process, the price we pay for receiving so much. What that little girl gave to you, taught you, is a treasure beyond compare. There will always be an empty spot in your soul, which she occupied for so long, she took it with her for a reminder of your love, for comfort. She left a little part of her own behind for you to comfort yourself with, it will eventually grow and fill that emptiness as you add on other loves and allow it to grow and bloom. Do not hide it behind a curtain of sadness, that she would never want for the one she loves above all else.
Although she now follows a new path, the bond of love you formed over 17 years will allow it to forever parallel your own. She will be as close as your thoughts and prayers fro eternity. Let her love allow your poor broken heart tp begin it's path to healing.
My heart goes out to you, I know how much this hurts. we will be here if you need us, we have stood in your shoes and understand the pain of saying goodbye......RIP dear Tarka. You will be missed for eternity, you will always have a secure place in a loving heart. May the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again!

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Oh, no. That sweet girl sure was a fighter to live as long as she did with the health issues she had. And you were such a good mom to care for her so well through them all. It's heart-breaking to lose such a beloved companion. My heart goes out to you.

Rest in peace, little Tarka. :rbheart:

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sorry that you lost your special little friend, you took care of her the best that you could and she shared her love with you, it is so hard to have to "play God" and make the decision but you did the best albeit hardest thing. When you meet again one day you will pick up right where you left off, a love story.....

"Their last breath on Earth is their first breath in Heaven" :rbheart:

I am sorry for your loss, I hope that your heart heals a bit more each day, Lord Bless you.....:alright: :grouphug2: :rbheart:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is beautiful. You are too. You gave her your heart and in return, she gave you hers. Those two will always stay entwined and although there is pain now, that part of her heart she left with you will keep beating with yours forever. In time you’ll feel the warmth and comfort of it. She carries part of you with her and all will be joined again later. I am so sorry you are parted from her but you made the tough choice and set her free. She is all kitten again now and above the rainbows she can chase fluffy clouds as she waits. She is in good company there as our beloved kitties greeted her with purrs and kisses. In this time and place, our hearts are with you.

gareth

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Saw this today and thought of you

I Walk With You

I stood by your bed last night, I came to have a peep.
I could see that you were crying, You found it hard to sleep.

I whined to you softly as you brushed away a tear,
“It’s me, I haven’t left you, I’m well, I’m fine, I’m here.”
I was close to you at breakfast, I watched you pour the tea,
You were thinking of the many times, your hands reached down to me.

I was with you at the shops today, Your arms were getting sore.
I longed to take your parcels, I wish I could do more.

I was with you at my grave today, You tend it with such care.
I want to reassure you, that I’m not lying there.

I walked with you towards the house, as you fumbled for your key.
I gently put my paw on you, I smiled and said “it’s me.”

You looked so very tired, and sank into a chair.
I tried so hard to let you know, that I was standing there.

It’s possible for me, to be so near you everyday.
To say to you with certainty, “I never went away.”

You sat there very quietly, then smiled, I think you knew …
in the stillness of that evening, I was very close to you.

The day is over and I smile and watch you yawning
and say “goodnight, God bless, I’ll see you in the morning.”

And when the time is right for you to cross the brief divide,
I’ll rush across to greet you and we’ll stand, side by side.

I have so many things to show you, there is so much for you to see.
Be patient, live your journey out . then come home to be with me.

babs' slave

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Saw this today and thought of you

I Walk With You

I stood by your bed last night, I came to have a peep.
I could see that you were crying, You found it hard to sleep.

I have so many things to show you, there is so much for you to see.
Be patient, live your journey out . then come home to be with me.
Very sweet!

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry for your loss. What a beautiful girl she was. Some cats just take a piece of our hearts when they cross because they are that special. R.I.P. Sweet Tarka :rbheart:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Tarka, dream you deep. Your pawprints are on someone's heart forever.

What a beautiful girl she was, is, and always will be! This is what I know (and why I wept a bit when I read the poem that gareth gareth shared), it is my Deepest Truth...love never dies, it only changes form and continues on, still Love. The best part of Tarka, her love for you, is now translated and purified into Love, and is with you still. Because Love abides. Always, forever, Love abides.

solomonar

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I may say that second to let a Soul go is not to let It do that.
Some times is quite the opposite: it is so heartbreaking not to be allowed to set an end to endless pain.
A long and happy friendship with a cat is Love to remember, and not many humans are so blessed to experience it.
Our bodies end, Love never ends.

I know these lines may not make much difference in the grieving times.

But what would do a bigger difference? I think - helping other cats
I am just saying that helping cats in a shelter, or ferals - for instance - may bring some (little) confort.
In some religions there are extended memorial services. That help would be similar.

Tears for Tarka the Cat, hugging His human caregiver!

PS I will share some food with ferals in my place, in Tarka's memory.