Said goodbye to my sweet Stonewall

Birchwoods

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's so hard to post this, sorry if it's long. Stonewall came to me when he was 7mos old, I was an employee at the animal shelter where he was rescued as a tiny baby with distemper. He shared my office with me since he wasn't ready to be around other cats, and our bond grew until he came home with me one night. For 1 month short of 19 years he brought us smiles, a funny meow/purr that always will be my favorite sound in the world, immeasurable love, and snuggles. I was on disability with severe bipolar depression in '18, and he literally saved my life with his love and sweetness. During Covid lockdown, he was a constant office-mate to my husband and me as we worked from home, and every night of his life he would drape himself across me on the couch until bedtime. This weekend he freefell from good health into having to say goodbye on Sunday afternoon. The hospital allowed only one person in so it was stressful to have my husband on speaker phone trying to hear the vet and what was going on. I held him while he moved over, and I am relieved he's at peace. But I am hurting so much. Nighttime is so empty without him, and I'm still doing muscle memory things like walking carefully so not to trip over him, or glancing around the living room for him. It's really hard. :bawling: Here he is at a happy time:
IMG_20180121_202358.jpg

Ok, so the weird part. In June of '21 a feral (who as I type is at the vet's getting spayed!) had 3 kittens and decided our backyard was a nice place to live. When she left the babies they still lived under the deck, they would pop out every morning and night for food. Mom and 2 of the babies are solid black little panthers, but one kitten was an uncanny lookalike to Stonewall, they have a grey spot in the same exact spot on the left leg. He also became intensely friendly, jumping up on my lap one morning and purring like crazy. (His siblings and mom tolerate me and purr when I feed them, but otherwise dash away from me.) I got the kittens TNR'd and we got them houses and insulated them along with a heated water bowl and a sheltered feeding spot on our deck to help them through the winter. But the little grey guy would not give up, he would sit at the backdoor meowing for me to come out, or wait at the top of my walkway every night when I came home from work. We were toying with adopting him, but we knew Stonewall couldn't handle an active kitten with his pretty severe arthritis and his only cat status. Fast forward to Thanksgiving night, when the kitten (who I named Purrito) got stuck in the eaves of my neighbor's garage and I had to climb a giant ladder to rescue him. That night we decided he was coming inside, it was like the universe was telling us he was our cat now. We scooped him up on 12/01, set him up in a big kitty condo in my home office, and got him vet checked/tested/dewormed. He came out of the condo the next week and settled into the office with 3 cat trees, too many toys to count and 3 cozy beds. Stonewall saw him a few times and growled and hissed, and we didn't want to stress him in his advanced age so we kept them seperate.

Now that Stonewall has crossed the bridge, Purrito is ready to inherit the kingdom of our (very small) home. (I don't want to freak him out, any advice on how to introduce him to the house would be appreciated, it's been so long since I had a kitten!) It's bittersweet as I miss Stonewall with all my heart, my therapist says it's a cosmic coincidence that this little guy got himself into our hearts and home at this time, it really seems like a bigger power sent him to us. Here he is, he always sleeps on his back, it's hilarious:
PXL_20220315_143319190.jpg

Thank you so much for reading, I appreciate all the support and strength that community members give each other. My heart is with anyone suffering the same loss, I hope we can find comfort in the joy and love our special friends brought us through their time with us. :redheartpump:

BeccaCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry that your precious Stonewall crossed the bridge. How wonderful that you have Purrito, and that Purrito has you. Sending you hugs!! :redheartpump:

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so very, very about your sweet Stonewall. Rest in Peace sweet boy. The girls at the Bridge
will be fighting over him.💞💖 :hugs: :rbheart:

Love,
Mia xxxx

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am very sorry for your loss of Stonewall. You clearly gave him an amazing life and second chance from the time that he was the little guy with distemper. Purrito looks as if he is entirely comfortable in your house, certainly not an overwhelmed cat. it does appear that this is a cosmic coincidence and his relaxed demeanor says "I always knew that I belonged here." If your house is cat proofed, I would start to allow him into other rooms as you see fit. I wish you another happy 19 years, or longer, with Purrito.

Meekie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Stonewall was adorable! I love tuxedos!

I would suggest putting Purrito in the smallest room of your house, preferably with a few familiar-scented objects. He'll let you know when he'a ready to venture further.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Stonewall, dream you deep. You walk in someone's heart forever.

Sometimes the Universe amazed me. It brought Purrito to you, not to take Stonewall's place...as if anything ever could...but to make a place of his own next to him. I'm certain that Stonewall is thrilled now, in That Place Where All Things Are Know, that little Purrito is helping to sooth your aching heart. There is no jealousy there, after all.

As for getting Purrito accustomed to the home, he is already accustomed to your office. I'd suggest just leaving the office door opened a crack...big enough that if he wants to, he can go out, but still enclosed enough that he feels secure. I have a feeling that Stonewall might just lead him around and show him the ropes.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think it is a coincidence at all that a kitten showed up shortly before your dear Stonewall passed. He was getting you ready for a gift from above and needed to know that Purrito would take up the baton of love. He left you something to ease your broken heart and to let you know that love continues on in many different forms, never replacing, but adding onto, and making it even stronger. I truly believe Stonewall had a hand in training and guiding this kitten towards you......
Your bond of love with Stonewall is strong, it can NEVER be taken from you or replaced. Any new love will reside right next to it and enhance it, allowing it to bloom in the sunshine of your happiness.
You are hurting right now, but the depths of your despair will allow you to go even higher in your future love. Time is the only thing that helps with grief, and though you will be swallowed up in it at times, there is always a sunrise on the horizon. It WILL rise every morning and your world will continue. Take care, and take one day at a time......RIP sweet Stonewall. You will never be forgotten, you will always have a secure place in loving hearts. May the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again!

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Oh, what a story. You and Stonewall were lucky to have found each other and given each other so much comfort and love over the years. I'm so sorry for your loss. And it's amazing that Purrito came into your life when he did! Sweet boy.

You may want to post in our Grooming and General Cat Care forum about integrating him into your home.

Rest in peace, sweet Stonewall, :rbheart: and welcome home, little Purrito! :heartshape: