Safety Of The Kitties.

Aieko

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was wondering, is there any type of cleaner that is safe for cats? I don't wanna use bleach or something that has an extremely strong sent, although I do use bleach to clean their litter box. (Of course I do, the litter box is a very...'ew-ish' place.) Anyways, my cats are very healthy and so far are not allergic to anything, but I'm worried about what I should use. I want to be able to spray it around them, I know essential oils are not good for cats at all, so I won't be using that.
Any information or advice will be appreciated!

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Best is to avoid all toxic chemicals and sprays and essential oils.

Ever since I have my boy with us, I stopped all chemicals in the house. Now it's just a mixture of 50:50 water and white distilled vinegar for all surfaces.

Try to get cat safe products even for disposable wipes, make sure that there's no alcohol or perfume.

The other way is steam clean, even for the litter box.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Aieko

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Best is to avoid all toxic chemicals and sprays and essential oils.

Ever since I have my boy with us, I stopped all chemicals in the house. Now it's just a mixture of 50:50 water and white distilled vinegar for all surfaces.

Try to get cat safe products even for disposable wipes, make sure that there's no alcohol or perfume.

The other way is steam clean, even for the litter box.

Thanks for the reply! Wow I didn't think of vinegar! I have kitty wipes that have aloe in them and my cats seem to not mind it. I'll try vinegar from now on.
Also, I saw January's page and he is so adorable! Thanks for rescuing him. :goldstar:

Diana Faye

Always and Forever, Irving
Adult Cat
Purraise
I tend to use vinegar and water to clean, but I love my Lysol wipes for my kitchen counters. I also like to use "natural" soaps/ detergents when I can just because that is my personal preference. Bleach is fine if you allow it to air out long enough. I use vinegar/water around my fish tank and if I need to deep clean ornaments I've soaked it in bleach for 24 hrs and then plain water w/ dechlorinator for another 24 hrs. If it's safe for fish I'm pretty confident it'll be ok for cats.

Aieko

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I tend to use vinegar and water to clean, but I love my Lysol wipes for my kitchen counters. I also like to use "natural" soaps/ detergents when I can just because that is my personal preference. Bleach is fine if you allow it to air out long enough. I use vinegar/water around my fish tank and if I need to deep clean ornaments I've soaked it in bleach for 24 hrs and then plain water w/ dechlorinator for another 24 hrs. If it's safe for fish I'm pretty confident it'll be ok for cats.
Thanks for the reply! I’ll try it too!

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I, too, use the vinegar and water mixture and sometimes straight vinegar. I'll use baking soda on the tub/shower extra and boil a tea kettle of water to use as the final rinse in the toilet. For stubborn stains on the counters/floors wet paper towel (water or with vinegar) let sit for 15 minutes and most come up. For the stove top same thing. If you've got a gas stove, take up the grates (the heavy burners) wash them in the sink with baking soda and a Brillo scrubber (I keep mine in a glass jar with a lid to keep away from kitties.) That way you can rinse the Brillo soap down the drain.

And there is always the Dawn for dishes also for washing fleas off kittens and in a 75:35 Dawn to water mix in a spray bottle to kill wasps and the like (one at a time, though we took out a small nest this morning. Stand back they fall to the floor and take a couple of minutes to die.)

And sometimes I use left over instant coffee. Do not use if you have cream and/or sugar in it. For counters.

Water and vinegar for windows.

Aieko

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I, too, use the vinegar and water mixture and sometimes straight vinegar. I'll use baking soda on the tub/shower extra and boil a tea kettle of water to use as the final rinse in the toilet. For stubborn stains on the counters/floors wet paper towel (water or with vinegar) let sit for 15 minutes and most come up. For the stove top same thing. If you've got a gas stove, take up the grates (the heavy burners) wash them in the sink with baking soda and a Brillo scrubber (I keep mine in a glass jar with a lid to keep away from kitties.) That way you can rinse the Brillo soap down the drain.

And there is always the Dawn for dishes also for washing fleas off kittens and in a 75:35 Dawn to water mix in a spray bottle to kill wasps and the like (one at a time, though we took out a small nest this morning. Stand back they fall to the floor and take a couple of minutes to die.)

And sometimes I use left over instant coffee. Do not use if you have cream and/or sugar in it. For counters.

Water and vinegar for windows.
Left over coffee? Never heard of that one before. Good thing I'm a coffee fiend. I live off of coffee. I'll try it aswell! Thanks!

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's a fiend thing. You can actually use towels instead of paper towels. Coffee without cream and sugar washes right out. As usual test it on fabrics before using.

which reminds me, if you want to add a slight tint to your whites, particularly lace, or stockings, soak them in well brewed tea.