Safest flea/tick topical treatment

shebaa

Queen of Sheba
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have a cat, 10 months/11 lbs who got bravecto flea and tick treatment 2 months ago (thats how long its effective for) and debating if I should switch or stay with bravecto. hes a door dasher so with summer here (arizona), i want him protected. I get so paranoid with these things causing harm, even though he did fine the 1st time, i am wondering if theres one most people recommend better.
my other cat 9mo/9lbs isnt so much a door dasher, he listens to the word "no" so he right away comes in (i wish my other cat would listen!!!). he also got it incase the other cat bought home buggies and passed it to him. he also did good.
what does everyone here give there cat? what brand? experiences with side effects?

EDIT: we get mosquitoes here pretty bad in the summer time. i read they can cause heartworm (unlikely though) so thats something im looking for in a treatment, if possible

Last edited:

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When considering a product your first move to discover more about it is to go to Google or another search site and Put in as follows:
Name of product reviews and complaints.

Make some coffee or tea, most of these searches take awhile to read, but most are interesting and should give you a good base of information.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shebaa

Queen of Sheba
Alpha Cat
Purraise
so now i cant decide between bravecto, revolution and revolution +
why does revolution cost more than plus? if plus treats more

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I can't offer much, but please re-check the duration of Bravecto - I understood it to be 3 months, not 2.

Revolution might cost more because it is essentially being phased out due to Revolution Plus, so maybe an elevation in cost secures a larger available stock for those who want to use it over the Plus. That is pure conjecture on my part. Also, make sure you aren't comparing a 3-month supply of one with a 6-month supply of the other - not hard to do with some of the ways they 'advertise' these products. Ditto for when looking at cat vs. dog products.

Picking any one product is all about reading what the active ingredients are in each and weighing the reviews/risks/results of each. I don't think any one of them is universally considered better.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
hes a door dasher
Hi
Take a look at this;
How To Prevent Your Cat From Darting Out The Door – TheCatSite Articles

Also, I'm using this product (I'm not affiliated or recommending as such, just mentioning);
From Only Natural Pet website - Easy Defense Flea & Tick Spray. They also have wipes, collars and a tag.
  • Natural geraniol & peppermint repel fleas, ticks, mosquitoes & biting insects
This product also includes mosquito defense;
Only Natural Pet EasyDefense Flea & Tick Yard Spray

Last edited:

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've been using Revolution Plus for years on my indoor cats. I had one instance where one of mine got fleas even though 100% indoors. Could have been brought in on our clothing, through an open window or a vet visit; we'll never know but I decided I never wanted to go through that again. Have not had an instance of them since and I like that it protects against other critters too.

It is pricey, especially when there's more than 1 cat in the house but I rack that up to yearly health care and try to forget about it. It does cost a bit less if you buy it in bulk which I do. Usually will get at least 6 months supply at a time.

I don't know how it compares to other flea meds since I never needed them before and just went to the one recommended by my vet.

shebaa

Queen of Sheba
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi
Take a look at this;
How To Prevent Your Cat From Darting Out The Door – TheCatSite Articles

Also, I'm using this product (I'm not affiliated or recommending as such, just mentioning);
From Only Natural Pet website - Easy Defense Flea & Tick Spray. They also have wipes, collars and a tag.
  • Natural geraniol & peppermint repel fleas, ticks, mosquitoes & biting insects
This product also includes mosquito defense;
Only Natural Pet EasyDefense Flea & Tick Yard Spray
i had made a thread on this Cats keep going outside...Your stories how to stop it
he still does it. luckily my other cat that i adopted in january knows AND LISTENS to the word no. he never gets far before i chase him back in. or he just lays at the door way. the actual door dasher knows but refuses to listen to the word no. he did get out today but i decided to leave him out with door open for when he was ready to come in. and i watched him through the window. he came in on his own a little less than an hour. i normally get him asap but i live in az and its HOT. and thats what got him, the heat so he came in. anyways, thats why he needs flea and tick treatment.

QUESTION
do i need to keep pets away at first after using spray? theres a relatives dog that stays outside as well as community cats that come and go

shebaa

Queen of Sheba
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've been using Revolution Plus for years on my indoor cats. I had one instance where one of mine got fleas even though 100% indoors. Could have been brought in on our clothing, through an open window or a vet visit; we'll never know but I decided I never wanted to go through that again. Have not had an instance of them since and I like that it protects against other critters too.

It is pricey, especially when there's more than 1 cat in the house but I rack that up to yearly health care and try to forget about it. It does cost a bit less if you buy it in bulk which I do. Usually will get at least 6 months supply at a time.

I don't know how it compares to other flea meds since I never needed them before and just went to the one recommended by my vet.
im leaning towards to regular revolution. do you give it every month? or do you take breaks since they're indoor cats?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
the actual door dasher knows but refuses to listen to the word no.
Hi, if you haven't had a chance to read the article, it has some other techniques you can utilize :)

The instructions for the yard spray say this
Do not actively apply while animals are in or near the targeted area.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
im leaning towards to regular revolution. do you give it every month? or do you take breaks since they're indoor cats?
Every month. You never know when it can happen. Better safe than sorry! We did not even have a bad infestation (luckily caught early) but even that was a PITA. All the cleaning of bedding/toys/vacuuming and even wound up throwing out several older cat beds and replacing with new ones "just in case" (some don't wash well).