Safest Cleaning Solutions?

minniesunshine

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
just wanted to know if anyone can suggest safe cleaning solutions? One of fur babies has a severe skin problem, allergy to what not know. But she has puss on her belly n I do NOT cause her more harm with cleaning products. ThAnks for any input

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Except in some cases, I use a vinegar water solution to clean. I figured if it's safe to clean my snakes cage with (their skin is very porous) then it's safe for anything.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I use 50:50 water and vinegar in a spray bottle for all cleaning, wiping of counter tops and tables and in fact everything that needs wiping.

No harsh chemicals in the house except dish washing detergent, washing machine detergent. Toilet cleaner only used when me boy is asleep with bathroom doors closed.

Last edited:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A vinegar / baking soda solution is safe. Avoid any DIY cleaning solutions that include essential oils. The oils may smell good but are harmful to pets.

Thre's a thread that discusses cate-safe floor cleaners: Cat Safe floor cleaner?

Avoid the Simple Green brand of cleaning products. It claims to be safe to use around pets but it is not. Leroy licked at some residue off the floor afer I had cleaned and got a really upset stomach that needed a trip to the vet.

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been using 50/50 white vinegar water for the last ten years since I started taking care of a herd of guinea pigs. I use Nature's Miracle Advanced when I clean the litter boxes but it's a 5 minute soak and then paper towels.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

minniesunshine

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I use vinegar and water to clean the floors. Although I don't use this product, it's my understanding that Seventh Generation is safe for pets. Here's a link to their website:
Spring Cleaning: Pet Clean Up!
Thank you! I definitely want to use something with no harsh chemicals. But does the water n vinegar n water mix smell good? Also that smell doesn't bother cats? I thought it would being vinegar had such a strong smell.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Vinegar will still smell as vinegar even when mixed with water. Smell will be gone a few moments after you've wiped.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can use cider vinegar. It doesn't smell awful.
I use cider to clean the coffee pot.