Safe Travels, Little Skittles...

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
One of my little ferals is gone. I hadn't seen her in a few days, but that's nothing unusual. They're in and out all the time. Late this afternoon, I spotted her behind the shrubs in front of my apartment, already moribund. By then, her breath rate was only 6 per minutes, and she was in and out of consciousness. I ran in the house and got a big, fluffy towel and a pair of medical gloves, and managed to get her cuddled down on the towel, still behind the bushes, where she was protected. I put food and water near her, although I knew, I knew, that it was far past the time for that. I sat with her for a few minutes, and told her how loved she was, and how much her sweet face would be missed, and about the Rainbow bridge. Then I left her. It was SO hard to do, but Skittles is...was...a true feral, and I knew she wouldn't really relax with me there. I came out and checked on her from a little distance every hour or so, and at midnight, I knew she was well and truly gone. She is now wrapped in padoubled plastic bags, and then tied securely into a Hefty bag, inside a plastic tote on my porch. A dear friend will come by VERY early in the morning and take her to the place where he has buried his pets. He says that it is beautiful and peaceful, and filled with birdsong, and she can sleep peacefully.

Rest you gently, Skittles, dream you deep. You pawprints are on my heart forever, little wild girl. Run in eternal sunshine, and I'll catch you later!

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
This is so sad. I am very sorry. My heart goes out to you.

Even at the end, Skittles was not alone. She had you. I am sure she could sense your presence; when you wrapped her lovingly with the towels and left food for her. She managed to come as near to your apartment as possible, so she can have her goodbye, and also for you to not forever wondering where she could be and not having that closure.

He says that it is beautiful and peaceful, and filled with birdsong, and she can sleep peacefully.
I agree. I am sure she is now in an endless field of grasses and blooms, where she can peacefully rest and just hear the birds sing.

My condolences.

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry your little feral girl has passed. Thankyou for looking out for her and making sure she was comfortable when her time came. I'm sure she will be with all our cat's now playing happily and never hungry or scared bless you for caring. R.I.P sweet girl :rbheart:

will2002

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You are a sweet, kind, and truly wonderful person! Thank you so, so much for seeing that lovely little soul Skittles got to finish her time on this old rock, knowing that she was loved. Too many feral cats never know that kindness.

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
I can only say that I agree with the other posts in that she was shown what love and compassion is, and being a feral that is not always the case. She is fine now, just fine, and one day when you see her again she will say "thank you for what you did for me on Earth", and you will finally be able to hold and hug her and it will be wonderful.

"Their last breath on Earth is their first breath in Heaven" :rbheart:

I am so sorry for your loss, but she is fine now and happy and healthy, God Bless.......:alright: :grouphug2: :rbheart:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You will be blessed for respecting her wishes to die where she felt most comfortable, in the outdoors that she knew and loved. I too, have stood at a distance after praying over them for a swift and peaceful journey, knowing it would bring stress to a already stressful situation if I invaded their personal space. Ferals are truly most comfortable being independent......
She came where she knew she was loved though, and I am happy she chose to be close to the one who fed and loved her. I'm sure it brought her comfort, and she is at peace knowing you will be sure to follow her wishes to remain a part of the outdoors that is all she ever knew.
My heart goes out to you,I know how much this hurts. You tend to see their little faces in every shadow for a long time after they are actually gone. The routine of caring for them takes a long time to change without them being present. I'm so happy she had you to feed and care for her. Her world was tough enough without having to worry about where the next meal would come from. Although she never knew the comforts of a home, you made her world as comfortable as it could be under the circumstances. The bond of love you formed with her will be with you forever, her sweet face will remain forever in your memories. I pray you can take comfort in knowing you did your job well in providing her with a love that she never knew from anyone else. That you let her know she was wanted and was important enough to be cared for and made as comfortable as you could. She was free and was a part of the wild. She will always remain so. But she had something that most wild creatures do not, a human to care for her and love her. You were her world.......
I know she had a swift journey to the Rainbow Bridge, because she had your love to speed her along. The time will drag on back here on earth for you, but for her, where time has no meaning, the time will pass in the blink of an eye when she is able to be reunited with you, the one who loved her when no one else would. Take care......RIP sweet Skittles. You will never be forgotten, you will have a secure place in a loving heart for eternity. May the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again!

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of my little ferals is gone. I hadn't seen her in a few days, but that's nothing unusual. They're in and out all the time. Late this afternoon, I spotted her behind the shrubs in front of my apartment, already moribund. By then, her breath rate was only 6 per minutes, and she was in and out of consciousness. I ran in the house and got a big, fluffy towel and a pair of medical gloves, and managed to get her cuddled down on the towel, still behind the bushes, where she was protected. I put food and water near her, although I knew, I knew, that it was far past the time for that. I sat with her for a few minutes, and told her how loved she was, and how much her sweet face would be missed, and about the Rainbow bridge. Then I left her. It was SO hard to do, but Skittles is...was...a true feral, and I knew she wouldn't really relax with me there. I came out and checked on her from a little distance every hour or so, and at midnight, I knew she was well and truly gone. She is now wrapped in padoubled plastic bags, and then tied securely into a Hefty bag, inside a plastic tote on my porch. A dear friend will come by VERY early in the morning and take her to the place where he has buried his pets. He says that it is beautiful and peaceful, and filled with birdsong, and she can sleep peacefully.

Rest you gently, Skittles, dream you deep. You pawprints are on my heart forever, little wild girl. Run in eternal sunshine, and I'll catch you later!
Im so glad that you got to see her one last time and that she knew you you loved her. I hope that last time together will give you some comfort during this difficult time.

Thank you for looking after ferals.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thank you all so much! This helps. Mike came by and told me that he found a lovely spot for her to rest. He also told me that he's only seen human footprints once or twice when he's gone out there, so she will be undisturbed. The other ferals are subdued today, somehow they know. And life continues. There are still hungry mouths to feed, but it will be a bit of time before I stop looking for her every evening.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a moving post, it led me to tears, as it too often happens.

Poor Skittles, now she's at peace, in a lovely and peaceful place, both with body and her soul. You were the only important person in her life, the only safe spot where to go when in need, when hungry, when it was cold, and she knew that till the end. She chose your place rather than hiding away. Her way to say thank you!

RIP Skittles, take care of the other feral companions from up there.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thank you all, yet again. I'm better today, but that small sadness lingers. How I want to live in a world where humans are responsible in their treatment of animals, where ferals no longer exist because spaying and neutering are just part of what you do with a pet, and where there are no pets dumped when they are no longer cute or convenient to have!

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know what you pour into the ferals there. Dear Skittles has the best life a feral can have. You gave that out of your heart. A free life, food, comfort, love and protection came from you. Skittles had energy to chase butterflies and siblings because you gave her that. You know I always picture Sarah waiting to gather up our babies as they cross the bridge. If it can be so, Skittles will be running with her now. Together they , and a clowder of kitties ,chase butterflies. Skittles is with those who will continue your love. We’ll be here to continue the love Skittles gave to you and we will work for that place where ferals are no longer ferals. :grouphug2: Lighting a candle.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you all, yet again. I'm better today, but that small sadness lingers. How I want to live in a world where humans are responsible in their treatment of animals, where ferals no longer exist because spaying and neutering are just part of what you do with a pet, and where there are no pets dumped when they are no longer cute or convenient to have!
I'm so sorry for your loss. Skittles was a lucky girl. She found a friend who truly loved her, cared for her and let her live the life she wanted. You will always be in her heart just as she will be in yours. Run free at the bridge little Skittles. You will always be loved and never forgotten. :hugs: :rbheart:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Echoing all of these heartfelt thoughts and feelings left by other members and adding my own. :hearthrob:((((((((^^)))))))):hearthrob::rbheart:Fly free, whole, healthy, and forever Cherished, precious angel Skittles! I know that there are so many up there, feline and human, welcoming you at the Bridge, and that all will be reunited in due time, never to part. Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 may your memories of your beloved Skittles comfort you in the time to come, along with the knowledge that you gave her the very best life she could have under the circumstances.
I am with you 100% on your feelings about all cats. My mom and dad educated others and gave to the cause of spay/neuter, and I continue that work, my #1 priority and passion, which most of us here at TCS share. With Best Friends, Alley Cat Allies, and many other groups and individuals as inspiration, working hard on this important matter, we WILL get there. For Skittles.:heartshape: