Safe to do Distemper, Leukemia, and Rabies together?

slowblink

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
From the looks of last years vaccination record, Yuri the siamese had a rabies & distemper shot & then at a later appointment - leukemia.... this year I'm wondering if we can do all three in one appointment. However, Yuri was pretty sensitive to the vaccines last year - they made her very lethargic for the rest of the day, and the vet gave her benadryl prior to the shots after that.

So, what would you do? 1 appointment, 3 vaccines? Or 2 appointments, with one just for leukemia? or rabies? (will be planning to get purevax).

Any other advice for the vaccines for good outcome. I'll probably ask for the benadryl again for Yuri.

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
I’d discuss with the vet prior to making any final decisions. Is this her first booster after her kitten shots, or has she already had it?

Is she indoor or outdoor? Generally FeLV vaccination isn’t recommended for cats that aren’t at high risk of exposure.
Rabies and the trio vaccine (which includes feline panleuk) are typically done at the same time, but may be staggered if it benefits the animal.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

slowblink

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, I think this is her first booster after kitten shots.

She's indoor, with the exception of a catio (frequented daily) and walks on a harness from time to time.

Will def discuss with a vet too, thank you!

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How old is she? At my last vet appointment (early August) with a new vet, I was told that the only vaccine indoor only cats needs is rabies in case of an escape. The leukemia vaccine is for kittens as they are prone to getting it more than adult (over 1yr) cats. They never mentioned distemper vaccine nor did they administer one on that visit so I can't speak on that.

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
How old is she? At my last vet appointment (early August) with a new vet, I was told that the only vaccine indoor only cats needs is rabies in case of an escape. The leukemia vaccine is for kittens as they are prone to getting it more than adult (over 1yr) cats. They never mentioned distemper vaccine nor did they administer one on that visit so I can't speak on that.
Distemper is part of the core 3 shot that includes herpes, calicivirus, and panleuk (distemper). They are recommended for most indoor cats every 3 years after one year booster, as these viruses can be transmitted via clothing. My cats are indoor, and they’ve most certainly gotten kitty colds. This is a similar principle. With how bad the three viruses can be in unvaccinated cats, most certainly worth it, imo.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Distemper is part of the core 3 shot that includes herpes, calicivirus, and panleuk (distemper). They are recommended for most indoor cats every 3 years after one year booster, as these viruses can be transmitted via clothing. My cats are indoor, and they’ve most certainly gotten kitty colds. This is a similar principle. With how bad the three viruses can be in unvaccinated cats, most certainly worth it, imo.
Ok, maybe that is why it wasn't mentioned. It hasn't been 3 years. I do believe they got it during their "kitten vaccines" phase.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats have always received all three vaccinations at once, though the leukemia vaccination came too late, they have leukemia, they were older strays when I adopted them. i also had one cat that has increased lethargy with his shots, they always gave him Benadryl and it did help. though the Benadryl will make them tired too. the best thing to do is to talk with your vet, but my experiences have been fine with multiple vaccinations. Please get the distemper vaccination whenever possible and advised to, I have dealt with distemper in ferals and it is SO contagious and heartbreaking. It can even be brought in on your shoes.

flcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I do not want to call the vet misinformed and flat wrong, but, I cannot fathom how a vet would not recommend a vaccine against one of the most contagious and deadliest diseases out there, Panleukopenia. You can track that in with your shoes, clothes, a simple visit to the vet, and your cat can get it.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do not want to call the vet misinformed and flat wrong, but, I cannot fathom how a vet would not recommend a vaccine against one of the most contagious and deadliest diseases out there, Panleukopenia. You can track that in with your shoes, clothes, a simple visit to the vet, and your cat can get it.
It's only administered every 3 years apparently so that is why mine did not get it at their last visit. I didn't know which is why I said I couldn't speak on that. It must not be too common though because these will be the first cats in my life to get yearly vaccinations and that is spanning 50 years. Never had a cat develop any sort of illness that was "tracked" in by us.

flcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's only administered every 3 years apparently so that is why mine did not get it at their last visit. I didn't know which is why I said I couldn't speak on that. It must not be too common though because these will be the first cats in my life to get yearly vaccinations and that is spanning 50 years. Never had a cat develop any sort of illness that was "tracked" in by us.
I missed reading that you said they already had the vaccine.

And yea, I never, ever had it before either, an illness tracked in by me, in all my decades of living and being with cats, and this is all over the world, until two weeks ago...that cat passed away Sunday night from it. She was vaccinated as well, but had FIV that played a role in her getting it and not being able to recover from it.

You probably never had a cat with rabies either, I have not, nor do I ever want, lol.

Panleuk is not too common now days thanks to vaccines, but it takes those vaccines to make it uncommon, like with rabbies.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

slowblink

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat vet will only ever give two vaccines at once.....no matter which ones are given.
I kindof just like the sound of that knowing how Yuri has reacted to vaccines in the past. I've made a single appointment, with plans to talk to the vet there and decide on a plan, so I'll probably be leaning towards staggering the needed shots just a little while remaining open to the vet's feedback.

Thanks all!