Safe, Natural Mosquito Repellent For Cats?

wombat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
it seems most mosquito repellents are toxic to cats too (sigh). A lot of natural mosquito repellents contain essential oils that are toxic to cats. Does anyone know of any mosquito repellent that is safe for cats? I’ve heard catnip oil is a good mosquito repellent, but I don’t know if catnip oil is safe for cats.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I take it you asked your vet about a heartworm treatment that would be safe to use on a cat kidney disease and they didn't come up with one (like I suggested, maybe Heartgard or Interceptor)?

Mosquitoes And Cat Fur

I personally think that to make the catnip oil strong enough to ward off mosquitoes, it would be too much for your cat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wombat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I take it you asked your vet about a heartworm treatment that would be safe to use on a cat kidney disease and they didn't come up with one (like I suggested, maybe Heartgard or Interceptor)?

Mosquitoes And Cat Fur

I personally think that to make the catnip oil strong enough to ward off mosquitoes, it would be too much for your cat.
Hi Feebysowner, I emailed my vet but haven’t gotten a reply yet. I did some research and found that Revolution is the only approved treatment for cats in my country (apparently).

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I hope the vet comes back with good news! Also, ask him to confirm that Revolution is the only approved treatment in your country, and if so why - and if possible/legal are there are ways to order something else from another country.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wombat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi FeebysOwner, he said that Revolution is the only approved medicine for heartworm in cats here, and that it's safe for CKD cats! I guess that's good news!

I hope the vet comes back with good news! Also, ask him to confirm that Revolution is the only approved treatment in your country, and if so why - and if possible/legal are there are ways to order something else from another country.