Safe Mosquito Repellent

ocatluvr84

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I don't know if this is the right section to post this in, but here goes! I have 2 cats (a 4 year old male and 6 mo old female) who enjoy going outside on leashes. Now that Summer's here I'm a little bit concerned about them getting mosquito bites and getting sick from that. I've been looking around for a good mosquito repellent that safe for cats, but I really don't know what I should be using. Have any of you done this and do you have any suggestions? Any information would be appreciated!

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I managed to find this thread where someone uses Olive Oil to deter mosquitoes. Otherwise I'm not sure might work as so many things are harmful to cats

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi, I don't know if this is the right section to post this in, but here goes! I have 2 cats (a 4 year old male and 6 mo old female) who enjoy going outside on leashes. Now that Summer's here I'm a little bit concerned about them getting mosquito bites and getting sick from that. I've been looking around for a good mosquito repellent that safe for cats, but I really don't know what I should be using. Have any of you done this and do you have any suggestions? Any information would be appreciated!
Protecting your cat from heartworm (mosquito borne) is not going to work with mosquito repellents, I can't see you spraying your cat with OFF everyday and its probably bad for your cat. Protecting against heartworm requires medications like Revolution. Heartworm in cats is not common though.

Heartworm in Cats
Heartworm Disease in Cats | petMD

Heartguard is cheaper but doesn't protect against other things. Heartgard Chewables for Cats

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ocatluvr84

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry, I should have been more specific... I'm wondering about brands/products such as Frontline or Advantage. It seems like they have products that protect against mosquitoes as well as fleas and ticks for dogs, but nothing that protects cats against mosquitoes, only fleas and ticks.

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sorry, I should have been more specific... I'm wondering about brands/products such as Frontline or Advantage. It seems like they have products that protect against mosquitoes as well as fleas and ticks for dogs, but nothing that protects cats against mosquitoes, only fleas and ticks.
Right there are no mosquito repellents per se, but heartworm, which is transmitted by mosquito is prevented by Revolution.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As far as I know, they haven't been able to find a mosquito repellant for cats, because most things that would kill a mosquito, would also kill a cat. I was thinking about trying something natural like brewer's yeast, but I have to read up and see if there are any side effects. Cats are so sensitive to everything it seems. They do have medications to prevent Heartworm, like the others said, which is caused by mosquitos.

misterginja

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all,

Thanks for starting this thread, I also walk my cat on a leash and am concerned about him getting heartworm from mosquito bites. Have you ever heard about catnip as a mosquito repellant? I’ve been growing fresh catnip at home, the plan is to attach some springs of it to my boy’s harness next time we go for a walk.

Am wondering if anyone else here has tried catnip as mosquito repellant for their cat and if it worked?

Catnip Repels Mosquitoes More Effectively Than DEET