Safe *ink* to get footprint?

Mer.kitten

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Id like to get Honeybunnys paw print tattooed on my wrist, but i dont know what i could use to get it - does anyone have any ideas? Obviously it needs to be something thats totally safe if she licks it offf since she'll let me wipe her feet but only quickly.

Is food coloring ok for cats to ingest? I was thinking of getting one of those treats for cats that are just liuid that it licks, or the gravy from her canned dinner and stirring some blue food coloring into it, then setting out six or seven sheets of white paper for her to step on. A couple drops of food coloring shouldnt present a problem should it?

Alternatively i was thinking of buying blueberry muffin mix that comes with the can of blueberries, the liquid is always dark and super stainy, and google says blueberries are fine for cats.

Thoughts?

Father of furbabies

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Try some play do and get her to step on it or maybe drop her from a short height onto it if she does not indent it enough. If you can get an impression, you could do a casting of the pawprint then. The thinner it is spread out, the easier it is to make an impression.

Father of furbabies

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Another method I just thought of but not sure if it would work.
I used some clear boxing tape and used it to get a print off a dog's paw once then transferred it to a black paper.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mer.kitten

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I need an actual print for the tattoo artist to work from though. Im not sure the playdoh idea would give a tattoo artist enough to work with, since its basically going to look like any cats foot print. The reason to use some kind of ink is to get all the nooks and crannies in the toe pads that make each cats pawprint unique :)

I think i may call my vet and see what they say. Ive googled more and everything says blueberries are fine for cats. I believe the blueberry pie filling is just blueberries water and sugar, so if i thin it a bit and wipe her toesies with pet wipes after i think that should work.

Still open to suggestions though.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What about using this? If you scroll down to how it's used, kitty never gets ink on her!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Could you just take a picture of the paw and have a tattoo artist work off that?

Or search for "pet safe paw pad ink" online. Amazon has tons of products.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Something like an inkless finger/footprint pad for babies could work. There is actually ink on one side of the plastic. You place it ink side down on a piece of paper and press kitty's paw on the clean side.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mer.kitten

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Something like an inkless finger/footprint pad for babies could work. There is actually ink on one side of the plastic. You place it ink side down on a piece of paper and press kitty's paw on the clean side.
How cool is that, thats perfect! I didnt even know that existed, thank you so much!

Thank you LTS3 too!

So glad i dont have to dip her feet in blueberry juice then chase her around trying to wipe her feet :lol:

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
How cool is that, thats perfect! I didnt even know that existed, thank you so much!

Thank you LTS3 too!

So glad i dont have to dip her feet in blueberry juice then chase her around trying to wipe her feet :lol:
I worked in L&D and nurseries for a lot of years. We were so happy when the hospitals started using these instead of inking the babies' feet.