Safe For Cats?

himawari

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi all! I saw this package treat in my local independent pet store that is designed for dogs. But I was wondering if it is also safe for cat consumption.

Ingredients:
Chicken, Vegetable Glycerin, Potassium Sorbate

Guaranteed Analysis:
Crude Protein (min): 60%
Crude Fat (min): 3%
Crude Fiber (max): 1%
Moisture (max): 16%

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If you are looking for a high protein treat for your cat(s), why not go with 100% freeze dried chicken or turkey, something like Purebites or WholeLife? I buy those in the dog size bags which are a LOT less expensive. The only ingredient is whatever protein is listed, ie chicken or turkey, (or beef or lamb, etc.) Nothing else :wink:. You can usually find them at the independent pet stores like you mentioned you found the treat you asked about. Also on-line.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

himawari

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
destinyz12 destinyz12 Thanks for the link! I never knew about glycerin. Is that the same for dogs, do you knows?

mrsgreenjeens mrsgreenjeens I actually feed Purebites, and I use the dog size too. But I wanted a treat with a different texture good for dog and cat. Do you know the difference between Purebites & Whole Life? Never heard of the latter.

sargon

High Priest of Freya, The Slightly Bitey.
Super Cat
Purraise
Glycerin isnt' too bad as I understand it if the source is clean, but a lot of it is biodiesel waste, and thus of questionable purity.

My cat gets exposed to a little, because she loves to chew my hair, and I use a bit in lieu of hair spray/mousse, etc. it probably isn't perfect, but darned if I could find a hair product that is perfect.

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
destinyz12 destinyz12

mrsgreenjeens mrsgreenjeens I actually feed Purebites, and I use the dog size too. But I wanted a treat with a different texture good for dog and cat. Do you know the difference between Purebites & Whole Life? Never heard of the latter.
Purebites is actually freeze dried RAW boneless chicken. Wholelife is cooked. There is a slight difference in texture. The Purebites doesn't tend to powder up as much...it tends to flake more if you break it. But they are both still pretty "airy"

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

himawari

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh! I always assumed that it was baked. Thank you so much for the info. And whole life is also safe for dog consumption right? I'm trying to kill two birds with one stone

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh! I always assumed that it was baked. Thank you so much for the info. And whole life is also safe for dog consumption right? I'm trying to kill two birds with one stone
Yes, Wholelife is perfectly fine for both species.