Safe Flea Treatment

Trysh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was wondering about a safe flea treatment I used Frontline and it's not been a month and the fleas are somewhat back it's not an infestation but I found 4 or 5. So with that said.....any ideas I have 4 cats total two are 15 and 1 is 11 months and one is 4 months.

Thanks!!!!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It takes more than one dose of any flea treatment to fully kill the flea life cycle. Give Frontline a another month or two to work. In the meantime, comb your cats frequently with a fine toothed comb to remove any fleas and their eggs from the fur. Vaccuum your home frequently, especially furniture your cats spend a lot of time on. Wash blankets, sheets, etc in hot water. There are other tips here: Homemade Flea Remedies For Cats

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I had the same problem with Frontline. Switched to Advantage II and we are flea free. My vet told me that fleas in different areas react differently so you may want to check with your vet on what treatment is most effective in your area. Please don't try flea collars or the knock-off/generic versions as they usually are ineffective and sometimes dangerous.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Trysh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I asked here because I don't want to hurt my babies but I had a friend tell me about switching to advantage. However will it be dangerous the vet says no but they all got kinda punky with that first dose of frontline.

Trysh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm so happy I found this. I have been gogling everything and it's either your OK or your about to die lol. Thank you everyone I appreciate all of you for responding.

thehistorian

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am currently using Revolution and it works wonderfully! However, my cats also had a roundworm issue when I adopted them from their rescue (roundworm is so common) - so I needed something that could treat that issue for several months. When I do not have several issues to address, I use Advantage II.

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
Advantage II is what we use! The key is to make sure that you are also treating the carpets and furniture as well!

dahli6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Treat your yard and house for fleas and groom the cat regularly with a comb. I haven't had much luck with actual flea treatments.

Trysh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What's odd is my cats never go outside soo how are they getting them lol

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, they must come in on our clothes and shoes. My cats are indoor and I still have to treat them for fleas.

Trysh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So ladies I got advantage and I was shocked to read it can cause diarrhea and vomiting when the frontline box does not say that lol so I'm kind of nervous now :/

Trysh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How do I safely treat my house for them by the way
Treat your yard and house for fleas and groom the cat regularly with a comb. I haven't had much luck with actual flea treatments.

dahli6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How do I safely treat my house for them by the way
To safely treat, clean and vacuum every day. Throw out vacuum bags or trash bags if you use bagless immediately.
Somewhat safely but also thoroughly you will need an insecticide, preferably with fipronil along with the cleaning and vacuuming.

himawari

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would recommend Revolution, but then again topical treatments depend on the cat's reaction to it. I tried Bravecto and Cheristin on my cat which he had a negative reaction to. So far Revolution has done really well.

Trysh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was just going to ask about revolution since the vet did give me a free sample of it

Trysh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would recommend Revolution, but then again topical treatments depend on the cat's reaction to it. I tried Bravecto and Cheristin on my cat which he had a negative reaction to. So far Revolution has done really well.
What kind of reaction did they have?

himawari

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Trysh Trysh Reactions vary from cat to cat. But for mine, he mostly hid in my closet on the first day I put it on him. Then he started shedding, like excessively but not enough to create bald spots. For the first few days he wouldn't run around as much, mostly hid in the closet, didn't touch his food enthusiastically, and just simply wouldn't be in the mood for interaction. As days passed, he would slowly return to his old self but I knew that if he reacted that much on the first few days that I shouldn't try it again. The next month I tried Bravecto. Almost similar signs. With Revolution, he did hide in the closet for about an hour but was mostly his old self on the first day and thereafter. So he's been on that ever since, and doesn't hide anymore when I put it on him.

Trysh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Has anyone ever seen or heard of this stuff.

Wondercide? It's a natural flea treatment.