Safe Bell on my kitten

scotfold

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, I am thinking of putting a bell on my kitten as he is so sneaky and I am afraid I'll step on him soon coz hes always following between my legs.
Is there a safe collar or something I can put on him? I read those breakfree collars can choke..

eb24

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, there are collars made specifically for kittens, however, I think the lightest they can be is 2 pounds. Any smaller than that and they don't have enough body mass to break the collar if they get stuck. 

If he is smaller there are a few other things you can do. For identification purposes on really young kittens I use the paper wristbands that they give out at concerts and other events (usually sold in office supply stores). You could fold one of these in half and slide a bell onto it. I know another member uses hair bands. For that you would have to have a bell that clipped on or have to find another way to secure it, but other than that it should work fine. 

In addition to breakaway collars there are ones that are made of elastic and so stretch easily if he gets caught. If you can find a small one that works too. 

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not a collar fan at all, they're far too dangerous and there are far too many cats & kittens who are injured or worse by collars - including breakaways.

I use hair bands on newborns, but nothing more (aside from photo shoots, then they're removed). Elastic collars can get legs caught through them which can be disastrous. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

scotfold

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thanks guys.. i opted not to as well..

just hope i dnt step on him while hes still small.

he punched me in the eye today, and darted across my head while I was in bed -_-

which is really bizare coz he usually avoids the mattress.

I feel like he has way too much energy and hardly sleeps! (probably 6hrs a day I assume)

he will just continue playing forever if I had the energy to as well

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kittens are work, and many adults also require multiple play sessions, having more than one kitten can help ;)