Safe antibacterial products

sandtigress

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
While I'm hoping to keep my boys off the counters and kitchen table, I wanted a backup plan for cleaning before using the surfaces for food just in case. So, what kind of cleaners would be safe for the cats and still kill yucky bacteria for me? Or maybe it would be easier to just say which ones should be avoided! Thanks for any input guys, you're all an incredible fountain of knowledge!

avocado

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

i use vinger and h2o
me, too. i clean the counters with white vinegar and HOT water, the floors too.

julebean

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I use Lysol or Clorox wipes after that dries, I wipe it with warm water. Less stinky than vinegar and works fine for me!

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use Lysol spray. It dries in just seconds, so the cats never have a chance to come in contact with it.

ktlynn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
WARNING: DO NOT USE LYSOL!!!! Lysol contains phenols which are chemicals that are extremely toxic to cats, dogs and small animals. Phenols can cause kidney and liver failure.

Safe alternatives are vinegar and hot water, non-chlorine bleach, and natural, orange-based cleaners.

avocado

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
those who use lysol etc, i urge you to do a little bit more research. do a google and type in "lysol dangerous" and you will get pages of hits regarding the dangers of lysol in relation to cats.

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OK. I had to do some research, as the previous poster suggested. And the research shows that these Lysol products: Lysol Disinfectant Spray (which is what I use and referred to in my post) and Lysol Antibacterial Kitchen Spray
DO NOT CONTAIN PHENOL
This information is per direct telephone contact with company and Material Safety Data Sheets linked to here:

http://www.reckittprofessional.com/c...t/375644_r.pdf
http://www.reckittprofessional.com/c...t/373200_r.pdf

The active ingredient in the product I use is ethanol, which of course is toxic to humans and cats alike, but it dries almost instantaneously, so there's no possibility of ingestion. I haven't used the Antibacterial Kitchen Spray, so I don't know how fast it dries, but the company says that cats should not lick it while it's wet. Its active ingredients are compounds of chlorine. So if that product is used, keep your cats away from it until it dries.

I don't know about the references to Lysol and phenol. They must either be referring to different products or they are outdated.

The conclusion: The two Lysol products referred to here are safe for cats when used as directed

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by coaster

Lysol Antibacterial Kitchen Spray
DO NOT CONTAIN PHENOL
i've used that one in the past with no problem. it dries quickly too. lately i've been using Seventh Generation products and also just wiping down the counter when i am done with the dishes (i use antibacterial dishsoap). the seventh generation product isn't anymore fabulous than what i used to use, so i am switching back when i am out of my current bottle.

my cats have never had a problem from the spray, and i have been using it for most of their lives. they only tromp across the counter when it's dry.

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also found a bottle of Lysol All-Purpose Cleaner in the kitchen and looked up the MSDS on that, and it doesn't contain phenol either. Although it does take a while to dry, so it's less convenient. (You don't want your cats to have contact with it while it's wet).

Maybe it's the Lysol cleaner -- the liquid in the bottle that needs to be diluted with water that contains phenol? Don't know -- don't have any in the house to check. I looked up "Lysol Cleaner" on the website and nothing there had phenol. I'm wondering if maybe that's an ingredient that it USED to have and was phased out because of its toxicity. There's a lot of different Lysol products. Know what you have and look at the ingredients list and do your research, but please don't tar all with the same brush.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have been using Clorox Disinfecting Wipes. Does anyone know if they could be dangerous to cats?
They sure are easy to use.
Lei

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I tired myself out today researching Lysol
so I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing it's fine after it dries. Chlorine, of course, is toxic to every living organism, so you don't want to expose your cats while the surface is still damp. But I'm pretty sure it's OK after it dries because the chlorine in the wipes has evaporated.

ktlynn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sandtigress asked about cleaners that are *safe* to use around cats. Though they may no longer contain phenols, Lysol Kitchen Disinfectant and Clorox Wipes can't be considered safe. Both contain alkyls, chemicals used in pesticides and are possibly carcinogenic. On the list of ingredients for both products, there's a bit of a mystery. Lysol lists 20.248% as "other". Clorox Wipes lists 99.710% as "other". I've no idea what "other" could be and until I know I would not use those products.

The label for Lysol Kitchen Disinfectant states: "To disinfect let stand 10 minutes". I don't know about you, but I'm not standing around for 10 minutes every time I spray this stuff to make sure my cats aren't near it. In addition, it warns not to get the product on your skin, or clothing...I want clean counters, but this is more trouble than it's worth. Why would I put something on my kitchen surfaces that I dare not get on my skin?

Clorox Wipes instructs the users of its product as follows: "Use soap and water after handling. For surfaces that come in contact with food, a potable water rinse is REQUIRED". You've got to be kidding me - I have to clean off the product I just used to clean?! It obviously contains ingredients more dangerous than the germs I'm trying to kill!

If this isn't enough to make you leery about using this stuff, how about the Precautionary Statement listed on both products: "HAZARDOUS TO HUMANS AND DOMESTIC ANIMALS". That's really the only information I need.

There is one more thing, though it's OT : Reckitt Benckiser, the manufacturer of Lysol, tests its products on animals. Just thought you should know.

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The product I use dries in about 10 seconds (after wiping). The 20.248% is listed as "Inert Ingredients". For it to be listed as inert, it would have to be both chemically and biologically inert. (It's probably the propellant.)

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks for the info. I will no longer use Clorox Wipes anywhere indoors where my kitties are & when I finish this container...I will not buy this probuct again.

Originally Posted by KTLynn

Sandtigress asked about cleaners that are *safe* to use around cats. Though they may no longer contain phenols, Lysol Kitchen Disinfectant and Clorox Wipes can't be considered safe. Both contain alkyls, chemicals used in pesticides and are possibly carcinogenic. On the list of ingredients for both products, there's a bit of a mystery. Lysol lists 20.248% as "other". Clorox Wipes lists 99.710% as "other". I've no idea what "other" could be and until I know I would not use those products.
Clorox Wipes instructs the users of its product as follows: "Use soap and water after handling. For surfaces that come in contact with food, a potable water rinse is REQUIRED". You've got to be kidding me - I have to clean off the product I just used to clean?! It obviously contains ingredients more dangerous than the germs I'm trying to kill!

If this isn't enough to make you leery about using this stuff, how about the Precautionary Statement listed on both products: "HAZARDOUS TO HUMANS AND DOMESTIC ANIMALS". That's really the only information I need.

There is one more thing, though it's OT : Reckitt Benckiser, the manufacturer of Lysol, tests its products on animals. Just thought you should know.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sandtigress

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You guys are awesome! I love how helpful everyone is.
Is vinegar really antibacterial? I've never considered it such, but I've never thought about it either.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sandtigress

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I, in a typical bout of silliness, forgot that I had several web sites saved that had information on natural disinfectants. So here are a few homemade recipes for anyone else who is interested.

Mix a half-cup of borax (a natural mineral that kills mold and bacteria) with 1 gallon hot water. Add a few sprigs of fresh thyme. Steep for 10 minutes, strain and cool. Store in a recycled plastic spray bottle or better yet, a GLASS spray bottle.

Basic Disinfectent:
In a spray bottle, put water and a squirt of natural soap such as bath gel base (#3751). Add your favorite antiseptic, anti-bacterial essential oils (e.g., 5 drops each of lavender, lemon, and lemongrass essential oils). Shake well before each use.

* Water
* Squire natural soap
* 5 drops each of lavender, lemon, and lemongrass

Or simply add a drop or two of eucalyptus, lavender, lemon, pine, juniper, thyme, or rosemary to a damp cloth. Wipe down the surfaces and notice how a chore turns into pleasure. Note: Use natural cleaning tools (natural sponge, mop) because essential oils can react with plastic.

Disinfectant Spray Cleaner

2 cups water
2 tsp tea tree
1 tsp lemon juice
2 drops rosemary
2 drops lavender

If anyone wants the sites that these came from, just let me know. Thanks for all your help!