Safe and cat friendly ways to make the house smell Christmasy

Show Me Your Kitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have no idea where to put this thread, so forgive me if I got it wrong.

Anyway, my mom has decided not to get a real tree this year due to both of our concerns that the boys will chew and ingest pine needles, but she really misses that Christmas tree smell and just Christmas-y smells in general but there are so many no-nos when it comes to cats that we're kinda at a loss of how we can make our home smell like the holidays to us and others but also safe for the boys.

Would cooking cinnamon sticks over the stovetop be safe? How about those wax melts if put out of reach? I was told that candles could be harmful due to the smoke, and I wasn't sure if melts produced any or had their own risks (other than hot wax of course).

Any suggestions, tips or tricks would be more than helpful!

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
How about the cinnamon scented pine cones most stores sell at this time of year? We put them in a small basked on top of the mantle out of reach from our cat. Of course you have to like the smell of cinnamon which I love.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Show Me Your Kitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How about the cinnamon scented pine cones most stores sell at this time of year? We put them in a small basked on top of the mantle out of reach from our cat. Of course you have to like the smell of cinnamon which I love.
I have honestly never heard of those. That is something to definitely look into! Thanks!:thumbsup:

Furballsmom Furballsmom okay good!

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
With the old kitty clan, I could burn candles, but I wouldn't trust this gang any further than I could throw them. Haven't burned a candle since Mollipop came to live here. And since Mollipop loves to sit on top of our kitchen cabinets, we don't put anything anywhere! We have artificial trees and don't worry about scent anymore.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Trader Joe's used to sell mulling spices which you could use to make mulled wine, or just put on the stove on simmer in a small pot for the fragrance providing you use the normal caution about cats and stoves and not boiling the pot dry.