Sad Story - Would Like Your Opinion

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Could you bring Pita to the vet? A vet would know if that is a gun shot wound or not.

I'm so sorry about the way Pita died.

Maybe it was some kind of hunting accident? or it could have been done on purpose. You really should keep your other cats inside just incase so they'll be safe.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

erinroro

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, the people around me do hunt, and Pita could have been hopping through the snow.... I really never thought about that. I hate to think that there is a sicko around here. Plus I have had all of these cats for 2 1/2 years - so why start hurting them now?

I will get Pita into the vet.... but I think I am going to have to wait until my husband can take him during office hours. I really do not think I am up to carrying his body in to the Dr office. Right now Pita is in a bag, in a barrel that has snow all around, bottom and top. My husband is as sad and confused as I am, so I know that he will want to get to the bottom of this, and quickly.

Thank you all for your posts - I am SO glad that I joined this forum!

I will post a picture of Pita as soon as I figure out how to do it!

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Let us know what your vet says.

As for pictures go to photobucket.com sign up with them. It's free. Upload your pictures from your computer to that sight. Then copy the image code and paste it into your post. zyou won't see the picture until you submit your post.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by erinroro

Yes, the people around me do hunt, and Pita could have been hopping through the snow.... I really never thought about that. I hate to think that there is a sicko around here. Plus I have had all of these cats for 2 1/2 years - so why start hurting them now?
Well, sometimes the "upset" at whatever the cats are doing that is bothersome takes some time to make a person "snap." But it was Pita's body being left in your yard that got me thinking - it might not be a "warning," but someone who didn't want to own up to what happened, but wanted you to know.

Of course, it could be that it happened nearby, accident or not, and Pita just tried to make his way home.

I will get Pita into the vet.... but I think I am going to have to wait until my husband can take him during office hours. I really do not think I am up to carrying his body in to the Dr office. Right now Pita is in a bag, in a barrel that has snow all around, bottom and top. My husband is as sad and confused as I am, so I know that he will want to get to the bottom of this, and quickly.
I'd wait too. You'll need each other for something like that.

Thank you all for your posts - I am SO glad that I joined this forum!

I will post a picture of Pita as soon as I figure out how to do it!
You did find the right place!

...and My4LLMA's explanation should help with posting a photo! If you use Photobucket, just ignore all the "go pro" offers - their photo hosting is free.

erinroro

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the help! I did sign up and I have a pic of Pita on my signature. Now I will try to imbed some in this posting...

Pita helping with Christmas presents~ you can see other kitties in the background

Pita playing under his favorite toy

Pita Under Toy 2 by Erin & Joe, on Flickr

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh my goodness, Pita was absolutely a darling cat. What a face!! I am so very, very sorry of this situation with him.

I have been thinking, since reading some of the posts, and now after reading your post about hunting in your area. I do wonder if someone accidentally shot your cat, and wanted you to know (and, how do I put this, at least you know what happened to Pita, and he just didn't disappear and never return, leaving you to wonder what happenned to him). It is possible, that the hunter knew you had all of the cats, and did lay the cat in your yard so you would at least know it had died.

Please keep us posted when you get news from your vet.

erinroro

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Joe and I are having a farewell ceremony for Pita tonight.... We are going to remember his favorite things/antics/catnip/toys. We will cry, but he will live on as long as we remember him

erinroro

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
As I typed the last entry, another cat got 'rid' of a hairball.... I think Pita is reminding me that as much as I loved him, there are others who need my attention.... Funny how smart and loving cats are.....

erinroro

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Back from the vet - the 'good' (
) news is that Pita was not shot. The vet says it is hard to tell exactly what happened, but it looks like Pita might have been running through the snow in the woods around our house and run into/fell onto either a stick or some other protuberance hidden in the snow. There was no residue or anything to tell what it was. The doctor thinks that the lack of blood is probably because the wound itself got packed with snow when he was coming home, and the blood in the outside of the wound froze and made a kind of plug.... So we will never know for sure what happened, but there was no exit wound and no bullet in his body.

I am so sad that a freak accident took my Pita, but I am relieved that there is no crazy person out there targeting my cats.

(But I am still keeping everybody in at night.... I am not taking ANY chances!!)

Thank you my friends! You have really helped me through this tough time.
You are all

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pita was such a beautiful cat! I'm so sorry he died, believe me I know how terrible it is, not knowing what your cat died of. But I'm very happy to read that he wasn't shot.

It's a very good idea to keep your cats inside at night. You sould try to keep them inside during the day to. In the city next to me the police are trying to find the person/s who shot and killed 3 kittens and 1 cat. It happened on one street, during the day time!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh I'm so sorry for such a tragic accident! In that strange way, it's got to be a relief it wasn't someone from the neighborhood though.
At least you can say good bye with peace of mind.

elayman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by My4LLMA

Pita was such a beautiful cat! I'm so sorry he died, believe me I know how terrible it is, not knowing what your cat died of. But I'm very happy to read that he wasn't shot.

It's a very good idea to keep your cats inside at night. You sould try to keep them inside during the day to. In the city next to me the police are trying to find the person/s who shot and killed 3 kittens and 1 cat. It happened on one street, during the day time!

Especially if there is hunting in a patch of woods that close to the house. Hunters to me are amateur killers roaming around, possibly trespassing, poaching, etc but definitely destroying hundreds of million of animals a year, making life scary and unsafe for domesticated pets and humans alike.

If you're in the woods, there is a chance you will be shot. And if there is going to be hunting in an area, I'll take a different path every time.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, I am relieved that there is not a psycho cat killer
. It is so easy to create these possibilities/outcomes as to how our pets get injured or worse killed when we don't have any facts, just our imagination
. I am sorry that you had to go through all of this, but now you know there is no threat to the other cats. It was a terrible accident. Again, sorry for your loss.
. And you are right, your other cats need you too and might be feeling your sadness and missing Pita.

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by elayman

Especially if there is hunting in a patch of woods that close to the house. Hunters to me are amateur killers roaming around, possibly trespassing, poaching, etc but definitely destroying hundreds of million of animals a year, making life scary and unsafe for domesticated pets and humans alike.

If you're in the woods, there is a chance you will be shot. And if there is going to be hunting in an area, I'll take a different path every time.
My grandparents live on a farm. There is a Sportsmens Club near by, they have woods in between them. My father said years ago growing up, the hunters would shoot, and shoot so close to their land, that they once had a bullet go right through the laundry hanging out to dry. My grandmother was outside hanging the laundry at the time, she heard the whistle of the bullet go right by her ear. The hunter just said he wasn't aiming for her, he was aiming for a duck or goose whatever it was he was supposed to be hunting. The area was pretty isolated then. As more and more houses went up, the families were eventually able to mark everyones land as private property, so hunters could no longer make that "mistake".

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome to TCS, Erinroro. I'm very sorry, and sad, that it was under these circumstances. Pita was a very beautiful cat and I feel your pain. <<<hugs>>>

It's horrible when an accident happens to our furbabies, but I'm glad you don't have to live there wondering / believing that someone you may be greeting every morning did something so horrible to one of you family members.

Like others here, I'm glad you're bringing the other kitties inside! With playtime and toys, cats can be totally content living strictly indoors.

Once again, I'm very sorry for your loss.

AC

bluerexbear

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am so glad to hear that it was not a gunshot wound that took your beautiful boy. RIP Pita!

luckybabycat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Rip Pita. I'm so glad it wasn't a cruel act. There are psycos out there; my Midnight
was shot once by a BB or pellet gun, and it always gave me worry because he was indoor/outdoor. At least you won't have to worry about your other sweet kitties being targeted.