SAD!!! our 23 year old girl is going to heaven today

Status
Not open for further replies.

catsareok

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't think I can do this! I know it is time...She is almost 23 will be next month, She is just about blind, hard of hearing, howls all the time,
She knows its me when she calls, knows what Nigh Nigh means,
going pee where she feels like it, she does poop in her litter pan, we are afraid she is going to get hurt, caught her a few times, almost stepping off the couch.. she gets around pretty good, I know this has to be done.. her weight has dropped a lil, she has a tumor behind her ear, that I have to drain, it just fills up. anyway right now she is eating tuna, she luvs it..
very very tough tough for me to do.. It is time...

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. So wonderful that your girl is 23! She is eating, so I agree she is not ready to go yet. Enjoy her and help her (and you) by doing things like setting up puppy pee pads for her to use since she pees outside the litter box. You might even try a lower sided box to see if she might use it instead of peeing other places - maybe a few boxes so that she always has one nearby.

You can also use things like footstools to help her navigate higher places, like a mid-step. Even some reinforced boxes would do the trick. I started that with Feeby (16+ yo) a couple of years back and she has adapted to them very well, and uses them religiously. Just make them big enough that she feels comfortable using them. I tried some small foldable step stools, and they were just not big enough for Feeby's liking.

The howling probably is from old age and being more needy. It is also a sign of hearing loss, which you have indicated is one of her issues. Feeby does it at certain times of the day - mostly when I am moving around the house and she wants to know where I am and why I am not stationary in order for her to be near me 24/7. The less mobile I am the less verbal she is. So, try to squeeze in some extra time to just be with her, if you can.

At her age, feed her whatever will make her eat more, just to help keep her weight stable. You can also try to use enzyme cleaners on the areas where she has peed outside the box to help remove the urine smell which currently acts like an invitation for her to go in those places over and over.

Most older cats, like you have described, are wise and have a deep understanding of routines and have learned well over the years what certain words mean. Feeby does too! They generally also don't really like going outside the litter box, so I am hoping if you offer her some low sided ones - and, more of them - it will be her inclination to try to use them. If not, you have the puppy pee pads as back up.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catsareok

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
thanks all, went to the vet and Minca is back home, Feeby, I have been doing everything you suggested for at least a year or more.. every room which is 3 have pee pads and bin tops along all the walls, understand the howling also,, she seams to go into the opposite room that we are in and howls,, night time she is in my face yelling lol been doing it for years.. we decided not her time yet.. thanks for the tips.. she is my baby for sure...

catsareok

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Minca is going to kitty heaven tomorrow, we are very distraught to say the least, 16 days before her 23rd birthday, Her quality of life is terrible, she is trying like crazy, It is time... thanks for all the input..

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Minca is going to kitty heaven tomorrow, we are very distraught to say the least, 16 days before her 23rd birthday, Her quality of life is terrible, she is trying like crazy, It is time... thanks for all the input..
I pray that she just drifts into endless sleep. The last cat I put down went so fast, I didn't even know she was gone. I guess that meant that she welcomed the relief and went to Heaven quickly.

VanCatMa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Your cat lived a very long, happy, life, to 23 years old! She won't ever be a kitten again. If she is suffering, do not allow her to suffer a moment longer.

Three years ago, my mother and I had to euthanize our 19 year old cat, after her veterinarian found a large lymphoma of her lower intestines. We had many great years with our cat, heart-warming memories, and we are so thankful for her, she brought such joy to our lives! When the time came to make the decision, we were devastated. But we had to do right by her. My mother and I both held her in our arms, the entire time, we did not leave her side. We were there for her from her kitten-hood, and up until after she took her last breaths, at 19 years.

We found a poem, "The Last Battle," which provided us with some comfort, after having to make the decision to euthanize our cat. I hope the poem helps brings you solace during this difficult time:

The Last Battle

If it should be that I grow frail and weak
and pain should keep me from my sleep.
Then you must do what must be done.
For this - the last battle- can't be won.
You will be sad I understand.
Don't let grief then stay your hand.
For on this day, more than the rest.
Your love and friendship must stand the test.
We have had so many happy years,
what's to come can hold no fears.
You'd not want me to suffer, so,
When the time comes, please let me go.

Take me to where my needs they'll tend.
Only, stay with me till the end.
And hold me firm and speak to me
Until my eyes no longer see.
I know in time you will agree
it is a kindness you do to me.
Although my tail it's last has waved.
From pain and suffering I have been saved.
Don't grieve that it must be you
who has decided this thing to do.
We've been so close--we two--these years.
Don't let your heart hold any tears.

-Author Unknown-​

You made your cat's life better, because you cared enough to be a good parent to her. We share in your sorrow, and we are here for you. :grouphug:

catsareok

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank everyone for the kind words, It was hard to say goodbye to say the least, Minca had a great life,
and so did we, My wife went in with her, I just could not do it, She went very fast and peaceful.. wrapped in a blanky,
Lucy is 4 now, I rescued her under the shed next door, She is the Queen of the house now, We love her A lot, She brings us comfort, thanks you, Minca's Dad

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
On behalf of the site Team, we are very sorry for your loss. :hugs: Thread are closed after such a loss as a sign of respect. When you feel up to it please consider starting a tribute thread in our Crossing the Bridge forum.

Rest in peace, Minca. :rbheart:

Status
Not open for further replies.