Sad news!

oreocookie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I took Oreo in for the second vet opinion after not feeling as if she had been properly checked over from the one the day before.  The second vet ended up doing an x-ray to determine pregnancy as she said it was hard to tell what the "swelling" was caused from.  The x-ray showed a pretty bad infection and a fair amount of swelling.  I was devastated to find out that while she was pregnant with three babies they had all died.  The vet said Oreo is in serious condition and may not survive this kind of infection!  She is being given IV antibiotics and fluids, however the kittens need to be delivered ASAP.  The vet is going to give her 24 hours to have them naturally before doing a c- section.  When I asked "why are we holding off 24 hours to do it" the vet explained the surgery will be very dangerous for her because she is in such bad body condition and has such an advanced infection.  They do not know if she could survive the surgery :(  I am so beyond devastated at this moment, we have become sooo attached to Oreo in just one short week (not even, only 5 days).  While I know the world is over flowing with unwanted pets I had become excited about getting to see her have her babies and seeing them grow!  Even worse is  the idea of loosing her before we have even had the chance to truly love her and give her a good life :(  Please pray for Oreo to come through this and be able to heal fully and go on to live a very long, health, happy life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I do not know what to tell my six year old, they have become inseparable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Oreo laying on the floor enjoying being a kittly the day we got her 5/4/12!

catmom5

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh, what sad news - but I am so glad that you took her home and have given her a chance. At the worst, she will have known love and care during her too short time with you. At the best, she will come through the surgery and do just fine and have many years with her loving family. Hoping for the best.

I will keep you all in my prayers.

catmom5

ps - I have a 16 year old who has fought numerous serious medical problems and continues to amaze everyone. So, don't give up on Oreo. She has a lot to live for and that will to live just might make the difference!

Last edited:

rafm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Lots of healing vibes coming for Oreo. I'm so sorry to hear this awful news about her, please keep us posted. :vibes::vibes::vibes:

rescuecatmommy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sending good vibes for Oreo!

Don't give up completely, cats can be incredibly strong!

levi68

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Poor Oreo! I hope she can find the strength to pull through...sending good thoughts! Keep us updated on her condition...

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a medical emergency 4 years ago now that involved infection, and my surgeon put me on IV fluids and antibiotics to get me more stable before operating.  it's a good plan.  Hope all goes well if it comes to surgery.

bellesmama

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry for loss of her kittens... Prayers sent to Oreo! I really hope she pulls thru this!!! Please keep up posted! Oreo... Keep fighting girl!!!

Last edited:

happykitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have faith Oreo will make.  I have a 6 year old daughter too and I know it is hard to not know what will happen.  Just tell her the doctor is doing everything she can to help her heal.

catmom5

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've been checking this morning, hoping for good news.

How are you all today?

Keeping my fingers crossed and the prayers coming.

catmom5

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

oreocookie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry everyone that it has taken me so long to give an update on Oreo!  She has still not had the stillborns, but had another vet check today.  The vet said she is doing great, recovering beautifully from the infection.  The vet has decided to still take the sit back and see approach in regards to allowing her to go into labor on her own.  I was told because she is not developing a fever, is eating, drinking, using the bathroom and even becoming playful that they do not want to interfere just yet.  The vet feels that her body can still deliver naturally and it be safer than rushing into a c-section.  She has gained 1 1/2 Lbs, she is now 6Lbs!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

I however have concerns with holding off since she continues to get bigger!!  I do not understand how she can be getting bigger still when the babies are reportedly dead?  How long can a cat go without having the dead kittens become a problem? 

oreocookie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think she may be going into labor now.  She will not leave me alone, is meowing non stop and is VERY restless!  She can not seem to get in a comfortable position and just keeps rolling, moving and changing her spot.  Her meow is almost desperate sounding, kind of like she is scared or unsure of what is going on with her?  I do not see any contraction's or blood/discharge; her genital area looks normal.  Anyway, I guess I will have a long night trying to reassure her that it is OK!! 

eb24

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm glad to hear Oreo is doing better! hopefully she delivers her kittens naturally (won't be a fun experience for you but sounds like ti's better than having to do a C-section) and that she can continue to recover. 

Obviously her health is the #1 priority but if she continues to recover, you wanted to, AND her vet thought it was okay it may be an option to use her as a surrogate for a newborn abandoned litter. I have had great success with queens "adopting" orphaned litters. Of course, Oreo's situation is a bit different given her health concerns. I was just thinking her body probably doesn't know the babies are stillborns and she will begin lactating and have that maternal instinct kick in. Just something that popped into my mind so thought I would share.

Continuing to think good thoughts for her recovery! 

thekatsaysmeow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry to hear about oreo and her kittens, I'm glad shes doing better
I'm just hoping the vet was wrong and atleast one kitten has survived
But I'm glad shes doing good, shes in my prays :vibes:

Hold on oreo! Your mama loves you too much to give up
And none of us on tcs are giving up either!
Good luck

oreocookie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oreo gave birth last night to three still born kittens, they were not full term.  She is doing well health wise, however she will not stop walking from one end to the other of the house crying.  I think she is looking for her babies, the cry is VERY loud and desperate sounding!!  I have been trying to give her as much attention and love as I can, but nothing I do seems to be helping her to just stop pacing!  I seriously wonder if she may not need a tranquilizer??????  Any idea how long she may act like this before realizing her kittens are gone?  This is breaking my heart as well as hers!!!!!!!!!!!  I asked the vet about allowing her to foster babies, but they said it was  bad idea because of her poor body condition :(

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A few days to a week and she should calm down, getting her spayed can help

aristotle

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh my goodness that's so sad. I'm so sorry about your kittens. D= I'll keep your kitty in my prayers. I'm sure she'll be fine. She's already getting better. =) Keep us posted!! ;) Sending good vibes your way! =D

Last edited:

eb24

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oreo gave birth last night to three still born kittens, they were not full term.  She is doing well health wise, however she will not stop walking from one end to the other of the house crying.  I think she is looking for her babies, the cry is VERY loud and desperate sounding!!  I have been trying to give her as much attention and love as I can, but nothing I do seems to be helping her to just stop pacing!  I seriously wonder if she may not need a tranquilizer??????  Any idea how long she may act like this before realizing her kittens are gone?  This is breaking my heart as well as hers!!!!!!!!!!!  I asked the vet about allowing her to foster babies, but they said it was  bad idea because of her poor body condition :(
I figured that it probably wouldn't be a good idea- I just know that grieving Momma sound and how heartbreaking it is! Just keep trying to comfort her and she will slowly bounce back. I agree spaying helps but she may not be healthy enough for it yet. 

Hang in there!