Sad News - but not unexpected

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Teddy, a very senior feral, who a group of us had been feeding and generally taking care of for the past 10 or more years, was euthanised at the weekend.
Although, he had always been good about taking his medication whenever he had a health problem, we were worried that he wouldn't survive another winter. He was deaf, had recurring URIs and skin cancer on one of his ears. A week ago, he stopped eating and although he seemed to improve with antibiotics, things suddenly turned for the worse. Fortunately, one of my friends managed to get him ino a carrier without him making too much of a fuss. (The last time she had tried this she was very badly bitten). He seemed thankful to be accompanied on his last journey and we are at least relieved that he didn't have to suffer any longer, outside in the cold waiting for death. The first snow has fallen today and no-one knows how long the only remaining cat in the old feral colony, Blackie, will manage on his own.
RIP little Teddy. Teddy was the name I gave you many years ago. It stuck. No-one knows when you were born, but I'll remember the day you died - it was on my birthday, in 2022.
1670238937995.png

On the day Teddy died, another cat was found shivering, lying in the middle of a field. She is now (hopefully recovering) in a friend's basement and waiting for a trip to the vet. There is no end to the suffering of unwanted cats. 😢

Last edited:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sweet Teddy.....another boy trying to survive in a cold heartless world. But then he found you, and your group of friends who truly cared about his welfare. To live ten years in a feral colony is a feat not accomplished by many, I salute his tenacity and you, for making that possible. By providing him with food and what care you did, he was made more comfortable, less hungry, less cold. He found someone he could give his heart to, who cared about him, who loved him too. You gave him his everything and he will be forever at peace because of it.
It will be so hard not to see his beautiful little face. But you will have it in your memories, and you will always have his love and thankfulness in your heart. Once again, thank you for what you do. You can't save them all, but you can help one at a time by opening your heart. Bless you and your friends for making this possible. Just as he and the countless others who have been helped bless you for giving a part of your life to them, for providing them with what they need, and giving them what they want most in this world, someone to care and love them........RIP precious Teddy. You will never be forgotten, you will always have a secure place in a loving heart. May the good Lord bless and keep you until you meet again!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Teddy, dream you deep. Your pawprints are on more hearts than ever you knew existed.

I am so sorry. Losing a feral is a special kind of agony, isn't it? There are always the regrets that you could not have done more, gotten him (somehow) inside to end his days in luxury...I know. I know. But Teddy knew love, and he trusted your group, in large because he was allowed to live his life on his own terms. And now, Teddy has a new home. A true forever home in That Place Where All Things Are Known, he blesses all of those who helped him along the way, and he whispers to Those Who Watch, "Take care of them, even as they took care of me."

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Teddy had a better life because of you and your friends, and this is what he will take with him on his journey to his new soft cloud, the memory that someone in his life gave him love, food and care. Till his last minute.
Though he didn't live in the comfort of a warm home, he was lucky all the same.
RIP Teddy.

Zerthax

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
On the day Teddy died, another cat was found shivering, lying in the middle of a field. She is now (hopefully recovering) in a friend's basement and waiting for a trip to the vet. There is no end to the suffering of unwanted cats. 😢
This is, sadly, a harsh reality. It is something I have known for a long time, and I remembered when mourning my own loss to not close my heart. That although I could no longer help my own cat, I could reach out and help others in need.

I am sorry for your loss. You made a real difference in Teddy's life.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
I can’t add anything to the heartfelt comments above me, only thank you for being such a generous soul, very sorry this happened on your birthday…you helped throughout his life to lessen his suffering, and I am sure he was appreciative.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you all mani mani Mia6 Mia6 di and bob di and bob AbbysMom AbbysMom Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 Antonio65 Antonio65 Z Zerthax Margot Lane Margot Lane and strider rose strider rose for the kind words. I went back to the site for the first time on an extremely cold morning and Blacky came out of his house as soon as he heard my car. His water was frozen solid but I'd brought enough hot water to allow me to get the container off the ground and break out the ice. Blacky immediately started to drink the warmed cat milk I'd poured into another prewarmed dish. He doesn't seem to be too concerned that he's now on his own. Food is more important and we'll keep him well supplied with that. It's all we can do. :bluecat:😿

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Thank you for all that you did for Teddy, for his entire life. He understood that you would be there for him at the end as well.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Blacky came out of his house as soon as he heard my car. His water was frozen solid but I'd brought enough hot water to allow me to get the container off the ground and break out the ice. Blacky immediately started to drink the warmed cat milk I'd poured into another prewarmed dish.
I was thinking about you and him this morning ❣