Sad & exciting at the same time plus need advise

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As many of you know we had Nub-e pts last monday. I got a sympathy card signed by everyone from the animal hospital that we got him from.
I deleted my albums of him from facebook as it was too difficult to see those photos.

But.....

A co-worker today who knows of the situation told be today that her friend who breeds bobtails had a litter just yesterday. But the kittens are in Oregon. She has filled them in of what happened to Nub-e and they are willing to give us one. But the kittens are in Oregon.
But they are coming for a visit to Wisconsin mid November!?! (flying)

I've googled flying with a kitten and really would like advice if anyone has ever flown with a kitten that young. Vet Certificates, etc.....
I told her to talk with them and we would cover the necessary costs.

So is this feasible. Should we take two kittens?

algebrapro18

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hey Gail,

I just wanted to give my condolences for your loss. I also want to urge you to make sure that this is really what you want to do because its only been a week since Nub-e died so you haven't really had a chance to heal yet. While I'm glad this opportunity came up for you, just make sure that its what you really want before you fly them out. I know it won't be until November so there is still plenty of time just wanted to give my 2 cents.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks! I appreciate it. November is a long time off but bobtail kittens are so difficult to find locally (like in Wisconsin) through petfinders. We had Nub-e a total of 41 days and he was ill 20 of those days. I think we are more peeved off that this happened vs sad. Don't get me wrong we are sad too as nothing like this situation had ever happened before.

But if the opportunity presents itself.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Gail, I'd probably say yes and take them, both of them. I know that you were upset with Nub-E's passing and I like to think that sometimes things happen for a reason. And maybe you're now meant to have these little babies.

I've never flown with cats or had a kitten fly to me or anything. I wish you all the best of luck! Mid-November is a long way off, but time will go by so quickly.

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Luna flew from Germany to Finland when she was 16 weeks old and she was fine. She was in the cabin, my friend picked her up for me.
The distance was about 1800km.
The breeder probably already knows what the kittens need to have done (which vaccinations, dewormings etc.) so they can fly, but it's always good to check the info out yourself too so you know what is required by your country/state.

Are they Kurilian, Japanese or American bobtails? I just saw two incredibly cute Kurilian kittens (longhairs) last weekend!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I think kitties will probably handle it better than older cats.
And they'd be coming with the breeder, right? What could be better?

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GailC

As many of you know we had Nub-e pts last monday. I got a sympathy card signed by everyone from the animal hospital that we got him from.
I deleted my albums of him from facebook as it was too difficult to see those photos.

But.....

A co-worker today who knows of the situation told be today that her friend who breeds bobtails had a litter just yesterday. But the kittens are in Oregon. She has filled them in of what happened to Nub-e and they are willing to give us one. But the kittens are in Oregon.
But they are coming for a visit to Wisconsin mid November!?! (flying)

I've googled flying with a kitten and really would like advice if anyone has ever flown with a kitten that young. Vet Certificates, etc.....
I told her to talk with them and we would cover the necessary costs.

So is this feasible. Should we take two kittens?
I had my F3 Savannah flown to me. He made two stops and spent about 17 hours being shipped to me. He was purring and happy to see me. He flew by himself and was fine. He is still fine a year later

You can easily ship two 8-12 week old kitten in the same carrier.

If you have any other questions do not hesitate to ask

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
PJ & Punky flew from me (MN) to Jen (ID) in July - they flew in cabin w/ me & a companion. I'd definitely go that way if flying w/ a pet.

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We flew from Texas to Boston with our cats, 3 years later we flew to Berkeley when we moved there, 2.5 years later we flew again when we moved to Canada. International kitties!

They'll be carrying the them in the cabin, right? Most airlines allow 2 pets in the cabin and expect a charge of approximately $50-$100 per pet. You are right, they need vet certificates and I'm pretty sure they have to be microchipped (that might be just for international). They allow one animal per carrier and it has to be able to fit under the seat in front of you. (I've found the soft carriers are best.) Prepare the people bringing the kitties that the cats will be taken out of the carriers to go through security. Make sure they have collars with contact info. Don't let the kitties be put through any screening device that a person wouldn't go through.

Our kitties never peed in transit, in fact they were really quiet and probably too terrified, but I made them soft pure wool mats for the carriers. I went to a second-hand store and bought two very thick wool sweaters (I washed them in the washer and hung them to dry) and stitched them into rectangles to fit the carriers, cut the sleeves off. Wool's good for absorbing sweat and pee and staying dry to the touch. It's also cushy and warm when it's cool and cool when it's warm.

Hope it all works out, very exciting!

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the used-wool-sweater idea! I'll make one of those, in case any of our kitties ever has to have surgery again... the vet I trust for major problems is about twenty miles away, and I always worry about that.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Gail, I have flown with a cat before. They do extremely well. Should be no problem and if there are two of them together then they will have eachother for comfort. It sounds like this was suppose to work out this way for you. Something happy to look forward too

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The flight hasn't been booked yet so I don't know the airline but I informed my co-worker of what is needed to pass on to her friend. It soun ds like it shouldn't be a problem.

coalsmommy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a brother who is active duty Air Force. He got stationed in Okinawa, Japan almost four years ago. (He will be coming home soon!!!
)

He had to fly his dog AND his cat from Little Rock, Arkansas to Okinawa. Once they got there, the dog and the cat both had to be quarantined. They both did just fine. With that said, it is definitely possible to fly the animals. I'm not sure of costs, or your financial situation.

My thoughts are, if you can afford it, and you really want these two little babies... take them! It definitely seems like the cosmos are speaking to you with the timing of all of this. When opportunity knocks on your door, you should answer.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Take BOTH.

Everything happens for a reason. I think Nub-e's up at the
Bridge, helping you get pointed in the right direction, since he was unable to stay.

Both.

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gail, I'm so sorry about Nub-e; my deepest condolences.

Now about those 2 bobtails---sounds as if Karma is at work here, and maybe Nub-e has a paw in it, as well.

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gail so sorry for your loss. I have never had to fly a kitten but I want to tell you this. When my darling Misty died, I was devastated since she was with me for almost 16 years. I thought I would not want another kitty for a long time but it was just too lonely for me. Exactly two weeks from the day I lost my Misty, I adopted Autumn. Even tho I now have Autumn as my roomie, not many days go by without me thinking of Misty and often compare Autumn to Misty which I shouldn't do.

Anyway just go with your heart and if you want to give a home to another kitty or two, just do it.