Sad Cat

Knight's Cat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 3.5 month old cat had his first vaccination (Tricat) yesterday. After reaching home he was very tired, and was sleeping very deeply for 3 hours. Due to some urgent work all of us had to leave the house for about 3 hours, and it happened just after he woke up from his slumber.
The thing is that after we came back, I noticed a 180 in his behavior.
A cat who could not stay anywhere for more than a minute is now sitting in a corner even if tempted by his favorite toy.
A cat who is not very vocal, suddenly meows a lot when I pick him up. And it is not that he does not want to come, while in my arms, he becomes a loaf and when I try to put him down he again starts meowing.
A cat who tries to run as soon as the sound of opening of the main door reaches his ear, now just sits in front of a open door.
No matter what I did he did not show much reaction towards it last night. But he is now starting to eat his treats which he refused last night.
I want to know whether this was due to the vaccination or was it due to us leaving? And if it was due to us leaving, how can we make him comfortable the next time we leave.

Ps. on a side note, has anyone one of you taken your cat on a road trip. And if yes then how did you make them feel comfortable and how was your experience.

Shy cat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
When my cat got her rabies vaccine the vet had mentioned it could make her lethargic for between 24-48 hours. If your cat feels better now I would guess it’s just the vaccination

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
It may be that he is feeling a little off or more likely, he is a bit mad and pouting because he was stuffed in a carrier and taken to the vet where he was jabbed and prodded. Some cats just take a day or two to get over it. Just give him space and some time and he should be fine.

Gem90

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat was lethargic and barely ate for 9 hours after his jabs. I would say as long as he's perking up now, this was why.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I'm guessing you live in the UK, is that right? I thought this thread from another member in the UK with similar concerns about the Tricat vaccine might be helpful for you: Side effects of first vaccinations

Ps. on a side note, has anyone one of you taken your cat on a road trip. And if yes then how did you make them feel comfortable and how was your experience.
You might want to post a new thread in this forum for replies about making your cat feel more comfortable on a road trip:
Grooming & General Cat Care

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have had several cats that act just like that after vaccinations for 24-48 hours. They slowly get back to normal. It's just like human babies getting fussy and sleeping a lot after vaccinations.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
if it was due to us leaving, how can we make him comfortable the next time we leave.
I don't think the behaviors you're describing are due to pouting, but I could be wrong. In any case hopefully he's improved especially regarding eating. If not, if this were me I'd call the vet back.

In case it's of help, you can try cat music, there's Relax My Cat, MusicForCats, and harp music from several sources.

Also, this article may be of use to you;
Traveling With Cats [Inc. 36 actionable tips] – TheCatSite Articles