Sabrina and sudden weight loss

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
Sabrina is about 14 or so I would think, she is the mother cat to two of our others that we took in years ago, and recently we noticed she is getting thin and it seems quickly. The other day she vomited a lot, but still is eating and drinking and loves her treats and plays and seems fine, but we want to try to help her but she is NOT a cat that we can just pick up and put in a carrier to take to the vet. Years ago she developed a scratch over her eye that was bleeding and we had to get a lady in fro the Cat Shack to use a net to trap her and that was horrible, so we would like to help her without that if possible. She does look better these last few days, and I understand it can be MANY things causing it, but any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
I also wanted to add that her petite daughter Samantha has had issues where she throws up a lot after she eats, she has always been like this, we tried different sensitive stomach foods and more but this is how she is, thin but healthy. But Sabrina is a normal sized cat, got a bit plump for a bit, lost weight but now seems to slowly be putting it back on. A very pretty Calico.

And her son Socks is HUGE, 30 pounds, big cat all over not fat, like a mini mountain lion, his head is the size of a softball so the weight distribution was WAY off when they were born lol!

Thank you

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. The vomiting could have been just 'one of those things' especially since Sabrina seems to be fine afterward. But as you said, her losing weight could be a whole host of issues and there is not much you can do besides get blood work done (CBC, Super Chem, T4) and see what might show up. As you probably know, the first likely issue would be hyperthyroidism. Feeby was apathetic when diagnosed with it, she was losing weight but didn't have an appetite that had increased or decreased. So, if Sabrina is eating about the same as she has always eaten, she could also have the apathetic version. Weight loss was the only sign we had to go on with Feeby.

You might call around and see if there is a mobile vet who could come to your house to draw blood as a first step, at least enabling you to avoid a vet visit for now.

As far as Samantha goes, I am sure you have already tried a slow feeder to see if she just eats too fast causing her to throw up right after eating. If she is eating dry food, even something as simple as a golf ball placed in her food dish can slow her down some. If she is eating wet/canned food, you can try to smear the food all over a plate rather than placing it in a dish as a 'lump', as that is also a technique to slow a cat down. It might also help to feed her the last meal of the day a little bit later, and possibly the first meal of the day a bit earlier if that is when she is most inclined to throw up - she may just be getting too hungry and that is why she scarfs the food down.

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the advice! She is a good girl, was always a bit shy and hesitant to let us touch her but I'd say the last year or so she really has come around, especially with Deb, let's her pet her, even comes to her sometimes when she calls her which is a huge step! But picking her up is out, trying to catch her disrupts and upsets the other 8 so that is what makes this so difficult.

There is a vet that would come to the house, but we'd really have to work on a plan to get her isolated, and again the whole house would go berserk as they get so scared with any changes, ugh....

She has been eating a bit more the last few days but we think it is because she had thrown up so much, trying to make up for it so we let her go, and I give her treats too.

Thanks for the advice, we will keep a very close eye on her and see where this leads.

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
She is visibly gaining weight and looking better, both Deb and I can see it. I wonder if she was just sick with something and it passed, or if she really does have a thyroid issue or something else? We are wathcing her very closely of course and will continue to do so.

I see there are foods to help with thyroid issues and also "treats", but I hesitate using them without knowing for sure if that is her issue. Plus the other 8 would eat it too, not sure if that is bad or not?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Just wait and see what happens. Foods specifically for hyperthyroidism are nearly devoid of iodine which is what feeds the tumor on the thyroid gland(s) to generate excessive thyroid hormones. You really shouldn't be guessing as to whether or not that is the issue - and it would not be a good thing to feed the other cats either - who need the iodine for normal dietary health.

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
Awhile ago I heard crying, when I went to check it out it was her, acting like she was going to throw up but I don't think she ever did, she just sat there licking her lips. But she came out and ate supper....

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
IMO, older cats tend to understand they can call out to their caretakers to tell them something is 'not right'. So, that may be why she was crying. The fact that she acted like she could throw up and didn't (how could you NOT know whether she did or not?), might suggest a hairball that she managed to dislodge, and it will either come up later or pass in her stool. Licking lips is a typical sign of nausea, which can be brought on by many things. A cat that has actually vomited will feel hungry right afterward. Some cats who feel nausea mistake it for hunger, just like human babies do.

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
The fact that she acted like she could throw up and didn't (how could you NOT know whether she did or not?)
Because I didn't know where she had been when she was crying, she was moving around from room to room when I walked out so she could've puked somewhere that I didn't see it, she wasn't just standing still in one place.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Because I didn't know where she had been when she was crying, she was moving around from room to room when I walked out so she could've puked somewhere that I didn't see it, she wasn't just standing still in one place.
If she did throw up, I hope you would have found it by now. Odds are if you haven't, she probably didn't. I hope that is a good thing!

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
Well it has been awhile and she is looking better, putting on weight and acting just fine, so we don't know if she was just sick for awhile or stressed out or if it is thyroid related, but she is eating good, playing, doing much better thankfully!

We will continue to watch and observe her of course!

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Well it has been awhile and she is looking better, putting on weight and acting just fine, so we don't know if she was just sick for awhile or stressed out or if it is thyroid related, but she is eating good, playing, doing much better thankfully!
Thanks for the update and glad to hear Sabrina is looking and acting better. 👍 Talk with your vet if you suspect a thyroid related issue. It's very easy for your vet to run a T-4 test to determine whether she is in the normal range or not.

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the update and glad to hear Sabrina is looking and acting better. 👍 Talk with your vet if you suspect a thyroid related issue. It's very easy for your vet to run a T-4 test to determine whether she is in the normal range or not.
True, but read post #1 and you'll see it is a HUGE ordeal to catch her and get her there unfortunately, plus it freaks the other ones out something fierce!