S.O.S. - Kinney has anorexia/anemia

roxie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry. That's a lot for Kinney and you to go through. Cats can sense when someone, human or feline, doesn't feel good. Maybe Kyle decided to take this opportunity to become alpha male! It would be nice to know what they're thinking. What if the lymphoma is totally gone when they do the ultrasound?Maybe I'm not being realistic, but I do believe in miracles! You're right about Kinney needing some space. I'm sure he doesn't feel like playing or defending himself right now. You have 3 gorgeous cats and as soon as he's well they will be back to normal.

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess it's no different that when we humans aren't feeling well. I know when I'm sick I want to be away from everybody and everything except for the one who's going to take care of me and make me feel better. When I was young, that person was my Mom. Now that I'm older, that person is my long-time boyfriend. I wouldn't be surprised if Kinney is thinking, "I want to be with Mom and only Mom. She's trying to help me feel better." 

You're doing great, Dan32, caring for your three boys.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I guess it's no different that when we humans aren't feeling well. I know when I'm sick I want to be away from everybody and everything except for the one who's going to take care of me and make me feel better. When I was young, that person was my Mom. Now that I'm older, that person is my long-time boyfriend. I wouldn't be surprised if Kinney is thinking, "I want to be with Mom and only Mom. She's trying to help me feel better."  :hugs:

You're doing great, Dan32, caring for your three boys.
:yeah:

:hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dan32

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Things have not been going well.   The combination of the last chemo drug Adriamycin, Cerenia (anti-nausea), Cypro (appetite stim), and Baytril (antibiotic) has totally tanked Kinney's appetite.  I blame mostly the Adriamycin, but also the Baytril (should have known better) - which like the previous Doxycycline he was getting many weeks ago seems to just cancel out the effects of the Cypro.  I have discontinued the Baytril.  The Cypro doesn't seem to be having any effect at all.

I am up to syringe feeding him every few hours with the hopes that he will pull out of this horrible funk.  He is back to sleeping under my bed again.   As I had said before, I am not sure the Cerenia does anything for him at all.  I will probably discontinue that one tonight (night 5) and just give him his pred.  The less medicines the better.

I had asked the oncologist how long it takes the chemo drugs to purge from their system and she said 5-6 days.  This surprised me as I had figured something more like 2-3 days.  He had seemed to be doing sort of OK until I added in the Baytril the day after his chemo, but who can be sure?

roxie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Dan32 I'm so sorry he's not feeling well. I was really hoping he might get through it without the nausea and losing his appetite. I would have thought 3 days would be plenty of time to be out of his system. Must be some powerful stuff. Is he still running a fever? Antibiotics drag me down when I have to take them, so I'm sure those combined with the chemo are really getting to him. I hope things start looking up again soon. Hang in there. Tell Kinney everybody is rooting for him. :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:::alright:

dan32

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When Kinney was in for his chemo last Tuesday, he had a slight fever - so the Dr. routinely rattled off a script for Baytril.  I should have thought that one over twice before giving, however I am not sure what tanked his appetite so completely - the Baytril or the Adriamycin.  He hasn't had the Baytril since Thursday night, so I don't know how long that takes to purge.  He is drinking lots of water which would seem like a good thing.

I find the whole syringe feeding thing one big mess.  I am switching back and forth between baby food and Science Diet A/D.  The A/D is so runny, I think I'm getting more on the towel than in, but it is probably more nutritious than the Gerbers.  I tried whipping some other canned food up in the blender, but the slightest little glob and the whole syringe blocks up.  Of course I don't know that until he is wrapped up in the towel.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I hope he feels better and starts eating soon.  I know the whole syringe feeding thing is a pain but wrapping him up in a towel certainly does help.

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry to hear about Kinney not feeling well these past several days. I don't know if you're adding water to the A/D. I learned from Carolina NOT to add water and fill the syringe from the top with a small utensil. Then put the plunger in. The syringe I was using had a small tip, so I cut a little of the tip off (make sure you don't leave any sharp edges) to make a larger hole. It flowed much easier then.

dreamraider

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
With my Mischief I found it easier to put her on the floor, put my knees on either side of her and put my feet together to block her from escaping backwards and then sit down enough just to keep her from finding any escape routes.. her only option was forward so I just had one hand in front of her chest and the other to use the syringe. The whole towel thing made her struggle and cry. :( ...but! Misty hate hate hates confinement.

dan32

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Kinney continued his hunger strike up through today, Tuesday again - supposedly our "week off" except for going in for a CBC.  I called in to the Dr's office to say he was doing lousy hoping for an excuse not to go.  They strongly wanted to see us anyway, so I took him in.  His CBC was normal, no fever - so why the not eating?   I thought maybe he was constipated but not that either.

Dr. Risbon either felt that his lymphoma was coming back or chalk it off to a bad reaction to the last  chemo.  A really bad reaction!!  She suggested keeping him there overnight and scheduling his ultrasound for tomorrow morning, instead of waiting until next week.  This will be his first ultrasound subsequent to his first round of chemo.  It would theoretically measure how effective (or not effective) the chemo has been in putting his lymphoma into remission.

I left him there not knowing what to expect.  I came home and the house is so quiet - his room-mate brothers saw me come in empty handed and nobody is eating much.

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Kinney is in good hands at the vet. I would think that the chemo alone would really affect his appetite. That's great that his CBC was normal and no fever! Right? I mean, if the lymphoma was back, wouldn't something on his CBC be off?

I'm really hoping and praying that the ultrasound reveals that the chemo is working.

dan32

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Kinney passed away during the early hours last night in the hospital.

I had gone to bed early so I could be there in the morning for his ultrasound.  I was awakened by two calls.

The first was at midnight to say that his breathing had become labored, so they were taking him off fluids and putting him into an oxygen tent as his lungs were filling up with fluid.  The second frantic call came at 3AM telling me he had passed a bloody stool and they feared he was bleeding internally as his blood pressure was dropping rapidly.  They were hesitant that he would last long enough for me to drive over to see him so I told them to PTS, something I thought I would never do.

It had been just under two months since he came home with the prednisone.  I have to wonder if the whole chemo ordeal even helped him at all.  Two months was the original estimate of how long he might last when he was released from the ER after his initial dx back in July.

I am an empty shell with all hopes and sadness released.  The house is so quiet without him.  It was true he was the life of the party.  I sit and look at the cat toys everywhere around the house - he was the one who looked forward to toy time each night.

He was only 5.  The handsomest, smartest, and most playful cat I have ever known.

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh, I am so very sorry. I know that no words will help with the grief right now, but Kinney knew how much he was loved and will be missed. Hugs for you.

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh no! Dan32, I am SO sorry.  
  I am glued to this thread, and I am in shock and in tears (seriously) since we have all gone through this journey with you and Kinney.

I am at a loss for words. I am inspired by your perseverance and your love for Kinney. You pushed through this and put on a tough shell to give him the care he needed. You really did everything you could. Please do not regret the chemo. It probably helped him more than we know.

It is such a great loss. Please know we are all here for you. 
  Sending all my love and hugs and prayers and whatever else you need to get through this.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh no no no no nooooooo. :bawling: Oh I just can't even imagine the shock! :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

I'm in shock and just... dumbstruck.

My heart is absolutely breaking for you. Such a beautiful, beautiful boy....and just too young. :bawling: :bawling: :bawling:

Oh sweetie, you fought for him. He knew it, and that is what matters right now. :heart2:

I'm just so so so so sorry.

Just know you are surrounded by light and love. I know that doesn't help much right now. I wish love didn't come with the pain of loss.

:rbheart:

:hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :heart2:

franksmom

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am weeping right now I am so sorry for your loss! This is just terrible....

dreamraider

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have been following this thread daily and I'm so sorry for your loss. Kinney sounded lovely and you honestly did everything you could. Sometimes things are just meant to be no matter what you do..but as sad and heartbreaking as it is, everything will turn out for the best. He is not in any pain or discomfort now, and I don't know what your beliefs are but I believe the people we love watch over us after we pass.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am so sorry.  You did all you could.  I know that doesn't help much now but it will mean something later.