RX FOOD FOR CRYSTALS IN URINE

raffaella

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So, my boy had developed crystals and was on Science Diet Rx food. The company changed something in the formula because the odor of the food was not as strong as it normally was - I noticed it and my cat did and he stopped eating it. After a vet visit and many other Rx diets I was at a loss until the vet gave me a sample of Blue Rx food which had to be ordered directly from Blue. Now, the fact the no vet has ever offered that option upsets me because I feel they didn't offer it because they wouldn't get a kick back from the company. Anyhoo, I and my lovely boy were both very happy with the Blue Rx food until recently they too changed their formula (once during the height of covid and now once again). The smell of the food has changed, my boy is not that crazy about it and is hungrier, his poops comes out in pellets, and now his coat is a mess - he has flakes and dry coat.

Now, I'm not going to take him to the vet for his coat issue because I know it's diet related. He'd be very content eating numerous Tiki Cat mousse pouches of salmon and tuna throughout the day but then I'd be risking another blockage from crystals.

My question is should I supplement his diet with some quality wet food (3/4 rx and 1/4 wet)? He is so finicky it's unbelievable so this is stressful for me. One of my other boys (who passed away) wouldn't eat Rx food so I fed him regular food and he was okay expect his urine smelled horrific but he did not have another blockage. I'd rather keep him on rx if possible but I'm open to any suggestions you all have.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If the RX foods you have been feeding him are dry food only, then I think you could get just as much of a benefit from any wet food being added to his diet and reducing the RX food. You could even try to mix the two to see if that would make up for the loss of flavor in the RX food. You might also try the RX canned foods too, if you are not already doing so.

I presume your cat also had a high urine PH level in addition to the crystals? Did he also have a UTI, and was he ever actually blocked (you mentioned it, but I wasn't sure)? Does the vet consider this a form of FLUTD/FIC? Monitoring him with the use of urine strips to check his PH level might be one thing to consider. Having periodic urinalyses done to look for sediment and crystals might be something else to think about, just so you can see if a problem might be starting to brew again.

There are things like pure D-Mannose that you could give him that would help to keep bacteria from collecting in his bladder. The D-Mannose molecules adhere to bladder bacteria which is then flushed out during urination. Others also use things like cornsilk, but I am not very familiar with it so I cannot tell what it does or how it works.

Feline Lower Urinary Tract Disease (flutd) – TheCatSite Articles

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

raffaella

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If the RX foods you have been feeding him are dry food only, then I think you could get just as much of a benefit from any wet food being added to his diet and reducing the RX food. You could even try to mix the two to see if that would make up for the loss of flavor in the RX food. You might also try the RX canned foods too, if you are not already doing so.

I presume your cat also had a high urine PH level in addition to the crystals? Did he also have a UTI, and was he ever actually blocked (you mentioned it, but I wasn't sure)? Does the vet consider this a form of FLUTD/FIC? Monitoring him with the use of urine strips to check his PH level might be one thing to consider. Having periodic urinalyses done to look for sediment and crystals might be something else to think about, just so you can see if a problem might be starting to brew again.

There are things like pure D-Mannose that you could give him that would help to keep bacteria from collecting in his bladder. The D-Mannose molecules adhere to bladder bacteria which is then flushed out during urination. Others also use things like cornsilk, but I am not very familiar with it so I cannot tell what it does or how it works.

Feline Lower Urinary Tract Disease (flutd) – TheCatSite Articles
Thanks so much for the response. He never took to the wet rx food which is why we were fortunate when he liked the BlueRx. As for the diagnoses I would have to check but I do know he was blocked with crystals and the vets in NYC treat it as FLUTD as well with antibiotics. I'm going to look into D-Mannose and cornsilk.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MSB78HQ/?tag=thecatsit
Maybe FeebysOwner FeebysOwner has heard of this? I just read about it in a group I belong to. Pet well being for urinary in cats...
I have heard of it but never looked it up, until now. It's got a lot of different stuff in it, and I am a minimalist at heart. But, you can't knock the fact that it has helped your cat!!!

The only thing that concerns me is when I see something as a diuretic, natural or otherwise, as it could be problematic if a cat isn't drinking well and/or getting enough moisture in their diet. But I think you have that aspect covered from what I remember reading of your posts!

Btw - R raffaella - now that I think about it, I believe cornsilk is also considered a diuretic.

Last edited:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Prescription food may not even be needed at all despite what your vet says / recommends / insists. Take a read through this: Cat Urinary Tract Diseases: Cystitis, Urethral Obstruction, Urinary Tract Infection It's ok to disagree with the vet about food :)

Ditching all dry food and feeding only canned food will help keep the urine well diluted which prevents most crystals from occurring. Adding D-mannose to the food is supposed to help with urinary health.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I have heard of it but never looked it up, until now. It's got a lot of different stuff in it, and I am a minimalist at heart. But, you can't knock the fact that it has helped your cat!!!

The only thing that concerns me is when I see something as a diuretic, natural or otherwise, as it could be problematic if a cat isn't drinking well and/or getting enough moisture in their diet. But I think you have that aspect covered from what I remember reading of your posts!

Btw - R raffaella - now that I think about it, I believe cornsilk is also considered a diuretic.
It was suggested by some people. Said it saved their cats life. I bought d mannose by natures pure edge after she seemed ok,no more loose stools or trouble going. Now I have to take her to the vet. Symptoms started again. So the d mannose does not work for everyone. I bought it to prevent loose stools. Her issue is probably unrelated but better safe than sorry so no more d mannose

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
So the d mannose does not work for everyone. I bought it to prevent loose stools. Her issue is probably unrelated but better safe than sorry so no more d mannose.
D-Mannose is not intended to help with loose stool issues, so if she was fine before giving it to her, then perhaps, you gave too much D-Mannose? That is the only reason I would know it might affect the stools. If it were to cause loose stool, then stopping it would also stop the loose stools - so once stopped the stool should go back to normal. But sure, why continue to administer it until you know more!

R raffaella - hope all this extraneous information helps!

Last edited:

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
D-Mannose is not intended to help with loose stool issues, so if she was fine before giving it to her, then perhaps, you gave too much D-Mannose? That is the only reason I would know it might affect the stools. If it were to cause loose stool, then stopping it would also stop the loose stools - so once stopped the stool should go back to normal. But sure, why continue to administer it until you know more!
I stopped it 2 days ago. I thought d mannose would help prevent. This morning she threw up cleat bile few loose stool drops,threw up more bile,back to litter box,few specs. Not sure whether or not to blame d mannose