Russian blue, burmese, korat or bsh ???

Andrea93

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ive been told all of the above please help me i.d my kitten he is 6 mo ths old, eyes are green and orange mixed but can change with age i suppose hes still young. Hes very shiny and silky and soft to touch, he loves my lap and cuddling my neck and sleeps on my bed every night but hes also a curtain climber lol he has slight tabby markings on his bottom half of tail and slight darker patterns on his mid sevtion his sibling female is ginger and white tabby but more of a creany orange and red stripes and dots. Was told they may have different dads. Siblings eyes are pure orange or light brown as a pise to his being half her colour half green, how much is a dna test

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pictures would help in determining what breed he may resemble. But nothing you described makes him sound like any particular breed. As all those traits can show up in the general cat population. Those are all wildly different and extremely rare breeds you listed. The fact that the siblings look nothing like him mean he is not any purebred or mix of particular breed. Most cats in the world are just domestic short or long hair. I wouldn't dwell on it too much and DNA tests won't tell you what breed mix he is because he just likely isn't. It doesn't work the way it does with dogs. There are billions of cats everywhere and they are the result of domestic mating with domestic and even if generations ago there was a purebred mixed in, it is bred right back out again so quickly. Hope that makes sense.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm assuming your cat is solid blue (gray), given the breed ideas that you mentioned? If his sister is red (ginger) and white, their mother must have been tortoiseshell or calico.

It's not necessary to assume that there were two fathers. A red (ginger) or red and white male could have produced both kittens.

Looking forward to seeing pictures of the kittens! :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Andrea93

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ive been told all of the above please help me i.d my kitten he is 6 mo ths old, eyes are green and orange mixed but can change with age i suppose hes still young. Hes very shiny and silky and soft to touch, he loves my lap and cuddling my neck and sleeps on my bed every night but hes also a curtain climber lol he has slight tabby markings on his bottom half of tail and slight darker patterns on his mid sevtion his sibling female is ginger and white tabby but more of a creany orange and red stripes and dots. Was told they may have different dads. Siblings eyes are pure orange or light brown as a pise to his being half her colour half green, how much is a dna test
20200226_094908.jpg
20200227_185139.jpg

Andrea93

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you- he is gorgeous. He looks blue in some of the photos and then he looks almost chocolate brown in others.
Its just dark in the picture lol he is quite light let me show one more pic that really shows his true colour one sec

Andrea93

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm assuming your cat is solid blue (gray), given the breed ideas that you mentioned? If his sister is red (ginger) and white, their mother must have been tortoiseshell or calico.

It's not necessary to assume that there were two fathers. A red (ginger) or red and white male could have produced both kittens.

Looking forward to seeing pictures of the kittens! :)
Screenshot_20200227-232552_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20200227-232552_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20200226-093603_Camera.jpg
20200226_094955.jpg
20200226_094955.jpg
20200227_185139.jpg

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
I want to clear up a misconception that while mother cats do not necessarily have to mate with several males, they usually chose to do so anyway, as it guarantees the survival of the breed. In other words, your kitty could indeed have had a different father from his siblings.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You have a lovely pair of kittens! They also look very happy and contented in your pictures. What are their names?

I would describe your boy as a blue domestic shorthair, and your girl as a red and white domestic shorthair. Most cats are not any particular breed, and are not mixes of breeds, unlike dogs. Your cats don't have a strong resemblance to any of the breeds you mentioned, but that's nothing to be sad about... domestic shorthairs are wonderful cats in their own right! :)

As far as the parents of these kittens:
  • The mother of these two kittens must have been some sort of tortoiseshell or patched tabby / torbie, with or without white.
  • The father of the female kitten was red or cream, with or without white.
  • The male kitten might have had the same father, or a different father. There's no need to assume a different father in this case, because a red male can easily produce a blue son... a male cannot pass the red gene to his son, as this gene is sex-linked.