Runt of litter not nursing well

silver369

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
my cat had a litter of six just last night and one of the kittens didn't make it now the runt of the litter seems to be having trouble it keeps trying to hide behind its moms head or body and ive only seen it try to nurse once and im completely sure it got enough milk as its bigger siblings would tend to push it out of the way. I've never had newborn kittens in the family before and with one kitten already dead hopefully you can see why im so worried. im not sure if I should try to bottle feed the kitten or if I should leave it alone and hope it learns to nurse instead of trying to hide.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
First, you need to put the kitten to a nipple to see if it will successfully latch and nurse. If not, you need to immediately begin feeding it 1-2 mL from a tiny needleless syringe every hour. Use powdered kitten formula that you mix with water. PetAg is good.

You'll feed tummy down, head up, a drop or two in the side of the mouth, let kitten swallow, breathe, and go again.

Let us know how it goes. Mom should be cleaning the kittens' bottoms.

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The formula should be warm.  And the kitten should be as well or it will not be able to digest the food.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

silver369

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for the advice i went and got a kitten formula and when i got back tried again to get the runt (now named tinypaws) to nurse from mom that didnt work so with the help of a friend and alot of protests from tiny we managed to get a few drops in its mouth but thats as far as we got before tiny decided it had enough and refused to eat more. on addition I've noticed tiny seems to have hiccups in a way as its flank would move up and down as if tiny were taking many deep breaths or as said before as if it had hiccups. would it be a good idea to take mom and kittens to a vet for more professional help and information as well to make sure nothing is wrong with tiny?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
No, you do not need a vet visit. My guess is that the tiny kitten may not make it. For whatever reason his breathing sounds labored which is not a good sign.

When you feed a kitten you sometimes have to wrap it in a towel to keep it still. You need to try to feed it again in an hour. One drop at a time so it doesn't inhale formula into its lungs.

Are the other four kittens nursing well?

You can mix a dish of formula for mom to drink. It's good for her. Give her wet food too.

Let us know how the tiny kitten does.

silver369

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
the other kittens are nursing fine there isn't anything wrong with the others from what i can tell. ill try mixing formula in the moms food next time i feed her as she just ate and all ive been giving her is wet food as i heard it's better for nursing cat because wet food has water in it so she gets hydrated as well as fed. ill try again in a bit to feed tinypaws... i really hope tiny makes it i have a spot for the runts in litters.

silver369

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i just gave tinypaws a bit more food and while he still put up a bit of a fight i think he did better then the first time we tried to feed him.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Excellent! Some of it is just getting more comfortable with feeding him. :)

silver369

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
so it would be great to know. how often do i have to feed tinypaws? right now ive been feeding him every hour but im not sure if thats what im supposed to be doing I should have asked earlier but after i fed him the first time you saying to feed him again in a hour made me think thats how im supposed to do it. i know im probably worring over nothing but as i said in a earlier post this is the first time ive had kittens and i want to make sure im doing things right. also as its getting late do i need to watch tiny during the night as well or will he be ok if i don't take him from mom for food. he seemed to be fine his first night even if he didnt nurse like the other kittens. and im fine with having to feed him at night but it would be alot easier if i dont have to feed him or at least i dont have to as much.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Feed him every hour until you go to bed, then again when you first wake up. Let's see how he does with mom tonight and assess it tomorrow.

Are you able to weigh the kittens with a kitchen scale? I would like a weight on all of them, and we especially need to see if Tiny is gaining each day. All of them really. If you have no scale can you buy one at Walmart or borrow one?

How does his breathing seem tonight?

silver369

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
we dont have a scale but i did bring up weighing the kittens to my mom when they were first born i cant get a scale today ill see if i can't borrow one but if not ill have to wait abit... tinys breathing seems better but sometimes he makes coughing sounds when i feed him. ill keep a close eye on him tonight and give a update if i see any changes good or bad.