Running Out Of Natural Litter Options - Help!

narelle

Lover of Cats and Catfish
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello all! I am looking for litter reccomendations, but I am extremely limited in the litters I can use. My fiance and I have very severe allergies. We had been happily using OkoCat softstep litter for a few years now, but with recent boxes we are having contact reactions to the litter dust.

So here's a full list of our limitations:
- I am looking for a natural, eco-friendly litter.
- It must be 100% unscented. I am very allergic to scented things.
- We are both allergic to grass, so grass litters are out.
- Pine litter is definitely out.
- I've tried corn litter previously and my cat was not a fan. She tends to be very picky, so I don't think she will take well to a new litter that isn't soft like her current one.
- I suspect this is the point I'll need to be flexible on, but I would very strongly prefer a clumping litter.

Does anyone know of some miracle litter I've overlooked that satisfies this list of limitations?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Coconut cat litter maybe? CatSpot litter: All-natural, organic, biodegradable coconut litter

Or Weruva's wood litter: Cat Litter - Weruva | Because We Luvya

Have you tried wheat or paper based litters? Some people use chicken feed or horse bedding. If you live in a large city, those are impossible to find.

Have you tried wearing gloves and N95 respirators (surgical type face masks are useless) when scooping and cleaning the litter box to minimize allergies? A HEPA air filter unit near the litter box may help, too.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Just to mention, chicken feed is corn based so that might not work for you.

You could try walnut, there is a product that's for bird cage litter but there is also Littermaid cat litter made from walnut which is clumping although the clumping action is slow to take place. Littermaid also makes a litter from the corncob which is safer from the aspect that it doesn't run the risk of the mold of corn based litters.

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
There is a tofu based litter, though I have not used it myself. There is also a brand called Skoon that used diatomaceous earth.

Silica bead litter is another option too.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
I use Naturally Fresh walnut clumping litter. I'd try the multicat litter first to see if your kitties take to it. The regular type is finer and softer, but it's also extremely dusty.

I find that the dust masks you can get at a hardware store or DIY store works well when scooping.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Have you tried a different Okocat variety? The long haired (purple box) and regular clumping (blue box) are coarser and may be less dusty than the soft step. They’re both wood, though, if that’s the issue. Okocat also has non-clumping pine and non-clumping paper as well.

Products | okocat | Healthy Pet