Ruby off to University vet hospital.

KitEKats4Eva!

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our little Ruby, it would seem, has some kind of heart condition

She has been seen by our wonderful local vet, who listened to her heart, and said he couldnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t detect anything, but that she would need more extensive testing to be sure. He wasnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t worried about her, so we left it for a few weeks.

But we are becoming increasingly concerned. For a nine-month-old, active, healthy puppy, she seems terribly unfit to us. She labours after even short bouts of exercise, and tires quickly. She pants excessively, often with no exertion at all – weâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]ll just find her lying there panting madly. She never seems upset, lethargic or unhappy, she has plenty of energy, thereâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s just something not….well, right. We feel it in our bones, sheâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s just not right.

She has a cough, too, although that has been rarely in evidence lately. Once again, the vet told us she was probably irritating her throat chewing some of her toys, but now we are not so sure. She also drinks excessively, and always had. He thought this might be a behviour, and he's probably right, but with the other symptoms we're just not happy about it.

So sheâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s off to the Murdoch University vet hospital on Saturday. It will take us over an hour to get there, but itâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s at the only University in Western Australia that teaches Vet Science, and is reportedly an excellent facility.

Please send vibes for our darling Ruby, we are very worried about her and love her so

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh I hope sweet Ruby is OK!!

Sending lots of healthy vibes, and calming vibes for you and Max. She's a lucky girl to have a family who pays attention to her and is willing to go the extra mile to make sure she's cared for properly.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KitEKats4Eva!

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks Heidi. People may think we're hopelessly overprotective but I wouldn't want to be feeling miserable all the time (if she is) and not have my Mum and Dad do anything about it!!

sandtigress

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The boys and I are sending vibes and prayers for Ruby too! I have a lot of faith in veterinary schools - you have lots of experts there who teach and so are current in their fields! Its always been a great source of comfort to me to know our local veterinary school is availble should an emergency come up for the boys, so I hope it brings you comfort knowing she will be in excellent hands!

KitEKats4Eva!

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww thanks Pam.

Tell me, are your boys Ragdolls or Birmans??

KitEKats4Eva!

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OH OH!! I LOVE Birmans!!! (Now I see that it says `Sacred cats of Burma' in your siggie
!!) I would love to get a Birman - they are my most favourite breed ever, except for Russians, of course!

Thanks for your thoughts - I'll tell my Ruby-girl that the Birman Boys are purring for her!

sandtigress

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree, Birmans are amazing! Everything I could have asked for in a cat is rolled up in my two little monsters.
We're hoping all goes well with Ruby, and that her kitty, doggie, and human family doesn't miss her too much before she returns again!

jane_vernon

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hope you get soon Ruby!

Murdoch University is fantastic for veterinary science and I know a vet who did her education there. They have wonderful facilities and I'm sure they'll look after Ruby very well.

KitEKats4Eva!

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sandtigress

Any updates on Ruby yet?
Yep. Unfortunately it looks as though Rubygirl has a structural heart defect. She is booked for an ultrasound on Monday at 10.30.

I am distraught, but probably overreacting.

I'll keep you all posted and thank you so much for your kind thoughts and words

menagerie mama

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sarah, I'm sorry to hear the news about Ruby...one question, has she had a heartworm test? I'll be sending good thoughts her (and your) way!!!

KitEKats4Eva!

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks Shannon. No, she'll be having the test when she goes in again on Monday. I don't see how she could have it - she's been vaccinated since birth!! - but I guess its always a possibility...