Roz Is Bleeding!

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Please try to find a mobile vet that will come to your house. He really needs medical attention. This poor boy is really upset and I am worried he is some how in pain, injured or sick. Keep calling vets and find someone who will help.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you can't find a mobile vet try for another vet. Many who have experience with excitable clients will send an assistant with a net to help catch the patient safely. Your current vet doesn't sound as though he cares about cats. I'm not at all sure I'd trust his diagnoses.
Any vet who is afraid of ferals (and I'm not saying your boy is one, not at all) and isn't equipped and willing to deal with difficult patients doesn't deserve to keep his license.

Prayers for you and Roz because that's all I can do from here.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
D dana17 hi. Sorry, I didn't see this thread until now and so sorry you are going through this. I hope everything is okay.

Ask the vet about getting Roz some Gabapentin for cats. It's what I have to give one of my girls before we head off to the vets as she is a highly nervous cat. (Former Feral) There was no way I could get her into the carrier without it. Small dose but it calmed her enough for me to get her in the cage and to the vet to be treated.

You could probably pick it up at the vets, as it's a prescription drug, and on the day give it to Roz.

For my girl, it was the night before and again an hourish before the vet visit as she was so terrified.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dana17

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
D dana17 hi. Sorry, I didn't see this thread until now and so sorry you are going through this. I hope everything is okay.

Ask the vet about getting Roz some Gabapentin for cats. It's what I have to give one of my girls before we head off to the vets as she is a highly nervous cat. (Former Feral) There was no way I could get her into the carrier without it. Small dose but it calmed her enough for me to get her in the cage and to the vet to be treated.

You could probably pick it up at the vets, as it's a prescription drug, and on the day give it to Roz.

For my girl, it was the night before and again an hourish before the vet visit as she was so terrified.
Thank you. I have asked many vets to give the presciptikn meds you mentikned, they eont give it to me lrikr to his bisit. Super frustrating.
He hides in his house we have for him and only comes out when we leave the room. I go in the room,.not as much as I should. 2 days a week i do watch my shows in there for an hour. We are far from letting him go near the indoor cats. Just getting frustrated. Poor thing in a room all day and alone and hides

dana17

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi! It’s been awhile since my last post.
Roz still didnt go to the vet so he is still secluded to the same bedroom. I ordered CBD oil will try that. He has a lot of toys and plays all the time. He is t eating much lately only treats. He walks around the room with me in there sometimes. He still hisses and hides in his house. We aren’t able to touch him. Our other cat sits by the screen and keeps roz company and roz always goes to screen when he hears the cats use their litter boxes and cries and moans bc he really loves to see his brothers. Now he sits by the door and waits for us and moves close when we open it, he is bored and wants to be roaming. We wo t allow him full rein unless he goes to a vet for tests. Once this is done and if all is good I am also afraid he will disrupt and hurt the 2 cats that are half brothers. I dint want to stress the other cats bc they have normal routines. I am really afraid since roz won’t let anyone touch him and hisses he might really go after or hurt the 2 cats. What should I do

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi dana!

I don't know how old Roz is but his whole world has been turned upside down. The hissing and putting the ears back are done out of fear, not aggression.

Patience, and repetition, are the key's to this situation, or at least they were with my two ferals. :)

Last edited:

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi dana!

I don't know how old Roz is but his whole world has been turned upside down. The hissing and putting the ears back are done out of fear, not aggression.

IPatience, and repetition, are the key's to this situation, or at least they were with my two ferals. :)

DAMN!

I
didn't see when this thread was posted, Roz has probably gone and been back from the vet's ten times by now. Forgive me, dana, and I hope Roz is doing well.

dana17

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi dana!

It seems that you are going to have to tame Roz more before you even think about taking him to a vet. If you are giving him antibotics, can you also get some pain meds from that vet? Yes, the urinating outside of his box could be attributed to a medical problem, or it could be due to stress.

When I befriended Jeff and Inky I started out by just putting their food down and then turning right around and walking away. I would always have my head down and keep my eye contact with them at a minimum. I would always tell them in a soft voice: "I won't bother you any." Presenting them food, while not expecting anything back, shows them that you are harmless.

With Jeff, this tedious routine went on for about five months until one day I decided to hold out my hand to her while I kept my head down; she proceeded to sniff my hand and then reared up to give it a head bump. Inky went from hostile to friendly in three months. He and I still have a ways to go, but at least now I can pet him, play with him, and pick him up.

Patience, and repetition, are the key's to this situation, or at least they were with my two ferals. :)
Hi! Happy to hear ur 2 came along way and is doing good. The posts you read are old. Haha. Roz got better and now he sniffs my hand when I put it in front of him. The thing I’m worried about is introducing him to my cats, also I feel so and he has been locked by himself since April he is bored lonely

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Believe it or not, you are making progress. If he is sniffing your hand and seems better, he is starting to calm down. It still will take time though.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just found your thread. I saw that you mentioned he retreats to hide. If he still does that you can use that to your advantage. Place a carrier or crate in the room for him and make it his favorite place to go. You can do this by placing special food, treats, toys and a blanket there for him. Consistently put all good things inside and towards the back of the crate or carrier. It will become his safe place and he is very likely to retreat to that spot whenever he is afraid. It may take some time to establish this as his safe haven but I use this with every one of the cats I bring in. The reason is just what you describe, it can be hard to catch a cat. When it is time to get them to a vet, they automatically go to their safe crate to hide and you can just reach down to latch the door. The safe house then travels to the vet with them so they are less afraid. It needs to be a crate that is large enough for him to feel he is hidden in the back. You really, really need to get him to the vet and this is a safe way to do it. When you carry the crate out of the room just cover it with a sheet or something so he isn’t afraid of seeing movement. I have used this method constantly for years and it has saved many cats from injury as well as insuring that they get to the vet when needed. My cats go to their safe houses for naps, play and during any time they are fearful. I recently had a fire and all cats went to their crates. I was lucky I did not have damage but if I had needed to evacuate the cats, all would have been easily moved out. None would have been hiding. Please try to start this with Roz and, all kitties. It’s a great safety precaution. I hope this helps you both. Thank you for continuing to work with Roz. A beautiful person and beautiful kitty.

moxiewild

Seniors, Special Needs, Ferals, and Wildlife
Super Cat
Purraise
I was going to say the same thing as jcatbird.

Set up a traditional carrier or a small-medium wire dog crate (although if he still has any tendency to lash out, a carrier is preferable to help prevent bites and scratches). He should retreat to that when you come in. You can tie a string to the door to trap him when he does.

You could also feed him in a carrier, and once he’s used to that you can trap him that way too. Since you have cameras already, you could potentially do this while watching outside the door/room if you rig it right and he for whatever reason won’t eat/go into the carrier while you’re also in the room.

Like everyone else said - the easiest thing to do would be to find a mobile vet or a vet who will make house calls. You may have to call a quite a few clinics to find one, but this is not an unusual service for vets to offer!

Likewise, I would also call around to as many clinics as possible to find a vet who would be willing to prescribe a single dose of Gabapebtin. There are many willing to do this for special situations like this. I’ve even had vets willing to tranquilize under conditions where the cat is confined in some way, so there’s no risk of wandering off.

How many vets and clinics have you called to ask for help or advice? It’s going to take some work on your part to reach out to as many as you can if you can’t trap him in a carrier yourself.