Roz Is Bleeding!

dana17

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi!
I'm going crazy and so worried! I went to check on Roz, it's 2 a.m and noticed dry blood on the window and window sil and dry blood on his ear and dry blood dripping on side of his face.
I don't know what happened, when it happened and if he is in pain. I leave for work at 530 a.m and won't be home til 5 p.m or later and leave tomorrow morning for the weekend. I have someone coming in Saturday morning for about 10 min to feed him and litter. And we will be home Sunday afternoon. What do I do! Is he ok! I'm nervous! I noticed before I trapped him a week ago, that he had this dry blood in same area on his face.
Poor Roz. Help please. I want to cry and hate that he will be alone part Friday and Saturday and part Sunday. My heart.View attachment 283208 View attachment 283204 View attachment 283205
20190502_015020.jpg
20190502_014846.jpg
[View attachment 283209
20190502_014649.jpg
View attachment 283211
20190502_014644.jpg
20190502_014642.jpg
20190502_014637.jpg

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Do you think he has been scratching and opened up a wound? Was he treated for fleas and ear mites? Did they say anything about the wound when he was neutered?

Did you ever get a camera to place in the room? I think I would want to know if he is trying to escape at night and has hurt himself some how.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dana17

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Morning!
He is on antibiotics for a bite wound on his leg and he did have ticks and fleas also ear infection. He was bleeding from that ear prior to us trapping him, so he might opened an old scab if he was scratching.
They didnt say anything about the ear wound when we got him fixed. I checked the papers again in the middle of the night.
I have a NEST camera in the room, it doesnt show the whole room, so today I am getting another camera for the other side of the room. From what I can see, he is trying really hard to escape. Climbing window alot, climbing on everything trying to get out! It's so sad. I wish I could touch him and clean the blood off of him. I cleaned the window this morning. This poor cat has been thru so much

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have you tried Feliway plug ins or composure calming treats or liquid? I used both on my most difficult feral I brought inside. The calming treats really helped. Yet to start with I had to double the dosage ( as recommended on the package).

Have you tried some catnip for him? Sometimes that can help to calm as well. What about soft music?

I hope that he can calm and that the bleeding is just opening an old scratch. Did you check around the room to be sure that there is nothing sharp?

dana17

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I did do the music and cat nip and no success! What type of calming treat did you use.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Composure. I did find that the Composure liquid max worked better and was easily mixed into wet food. 1/2 t. twice a day. The treats are kind of large and also hard. My boy stopped wanting to eat them.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Zylkene is another one. You must open the capsule and mix into wet food.

dana17

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He is getting worse. Non stop pacing all day and night, trying to get out and climb out. If i enter the room he hides. Found fresh blood in the room. His wound is still bleeing. He is miserable. I feel bad bc i yelled at him in the middle if the night thirs.fri morning bc he was making alot of noise and i haven't slept more than 3 hrs a night since he inside bc I'm a light sleeper. now he seems scared of me and hides from me.
We are away this weekend, so i watch him on the camera
Ty for asking.

dana17

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi
Things are getting worse. Now he chooses to urinate outside the litter box. Last night we put down doggie training pads and he is peeing on them, still getting on the floor. He is all over the room imbing hanging from the wj dle. He actually feel from wjndkw sil. Still drops blood around the room. I got calming spray and calming liquid...they don't work. I should be recving soon, the calming stuff soneone reccommened in this thread. Not sure what else to do. He is shaking when i walk into the room, ears back and hissing and growling. Things aren't progressing. Im miserable and so is Roz

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know it will be terrible, but he really should see a vet. especially if he seems weaker. (falling and shaking) He needs quiet and pity, he is really scared and possibly hurting. He could have an abcsess that burst, they do drain for a few days. If he was on antibiotics it should be OK, that is the treatment.
He is scared sick. Please try to just sit quietly with him and leave some treats for him when you leave. Taming a cat takes a long time, and I mean weeks and months, not days. He needs to trust you so you can examine his ear and see what is going on. If you can't get him in to a vet, just make sure the bleeding doesn't get worse. It should be healing by now. Can you see exactly where the blood is coming from? inside the ear canal itself, or from the bottom edge, (tear) or a little lower like from the face itself? (abscess) That would help.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
As di and bob di and bob said, this is a process that can take weeks and weeks and months and months. It does not happen in a matter of days. He needs to see your presence often. You also need to be very calm with him. If you are stressed he will sense the stress.

The calming spray and liquid take time to work and build up in the system. I gave the Composure liquid Max (1/2 t. 2x a day) and it took about a week to see some progress. If I missed a dose, I could tell. I know you were gone over the weekend so did he get the composure then?

How often are you visiting him? Even if it is to just sit in the room and talk with him. I used to just sit on the floor and calmly talk. Each visit, I would bring some delicious fresh plain cooked chicken. I would shake the baggie so he got used to the sound. I would put a few pieces on the floor. He usually waited until after I was gone to eat them.

Is there a mobile vet that could come and exam him? If not, you might need some gabapentin ( prescribed only by a vet). This would go into this food ( small capsule wrapped in pill pocket or cheese or meat). This would calm him to the state that you could get him into a carrier. You would need to ask your vet about this.

The urinating outside of the box, is it pee where you see him squat or is he spraying? Was he using the litter box before? If not, I often sop the urine up with a paper towel and then bury it into the litter. How clean is the litter box? Previously outside feral cats need a very clean box. It needs to be cleaned 2x daily. Did anyone clean it over the weekend? You may need more than one box in the room.

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to see how best to help you.

dana17

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi.
I appreciate all your quesrions bc it shows that you really want to help

The other calming med you mentioned is arriving today from Amazon. I go into his room every few hours for a few minutes. I dont stay king bc i feel bad. My visits seem to make him anxious, his bresthung increases, ears pinned back and always growling and hissing so i don't want to piss him off more. I do leave his fav treats on the floor before i leave. I also give him a bowl of fresh chicken once in awhile. I am looking into vets now to take him in a few days. The issue is no one will give us meds to relax him and we dont know how get him in a carrier. We dont want any attacks or bites
He used the litter box prior. Now he doesnt. I clean it several times a day bc it smells if we dont. I did have someone come while we were away.
I did put mulch from outside in his litter to help train him, might need do that more.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tell the vet what is going on and see if they will loan you their net to catch him in. Ask the vet to let one of his kennel people show you how to use it. Practice before you try it. The net makes it easier to roll him into the carrier. You might ask if you could borrow a couple of the kennel people to help you catch him. This should cost less than the vet coming out, which few will do, and could really help. If nothing else it would prove to the vet that you are serious and a good person.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think the first step is to be sure that he is not sick. Possibly UTI since he was using the litter box?? Can you do a search for mobile vets? I used one over a year ago for 3 feral cats. The price was very reasonable. I called and spoke with them about the cats being feral. One of them had to be sedated as he was a wreck, yet the other two were wrapped in a towel and did ok.

Once you know for sure that he is physically ok then I would try working with him as much as you can. But be sure he is not sick or injured. Even if he is hissing at you, I would try to visit him often. Just go in for 5 minutes. Keep upbeat with no direct eye contact. Sit on the floor so you don't loom over him. Talk in a calm quiet voice and reassure him that he is safe. Try not to leave just because he hisses. He then learns you will leave when he does that. Then let 30 minutes go by and go into the room again.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Warn the vet that the cat you're bringing in is semi-feral. some vets won't work with ferals and it's best to know before you catch him and bring him in.

dana17

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Today is going to be third day giving him calming meds that i got from Amazon, which soneone on this thread kindly mentioned. Def not working yet! Roz goes from 8 pm to 6 am of non stop pacing the full room, climbing and walking on the window sill, hanging from window sill, scratching the window, making nosies all night, peeing on the floor and in litter box. We have an appt Monday morning at the vet for a full exam just don't know what we are going to do bv we can't touch him or go near him, so how are we going to get him into carrier. They will sedate him at the vet nothing before the vet. Help!

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you are using the Zylkene you can give it twice a day if needed. I have a cat that was on it for about 6 weeks 1 75 mg capsule in the morning and another before bed.

What is he like during the day? Does he sleep then? Is he eating ok?

Is there any way to get a mobile vet to come to your house? They could assist on catching him in the room. Since you have until Monday, you might try to feed him in a cat carrier. Does the vet know you cannot touch him? How do they suggest that you get him in to see them. I would do a search on Mobile vets in your area. Be sure they deal with feral cats.

dana17

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He sleeps under a rower that we have in his room, this sm space. He does eat. The vet knows roz history. Im actually going to call them this week, to see if she has suggestions on how to get him into the crate.

dana17

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
UPDATE
We were suppose to take Roz to the vet this morning for a full exam. It didn't go well and was not a success and I cancelled the appt. He climbed every wall, hung from the window.
Litterally jumped across the whole room and landed on the ground hard, several times. We left him alone to calm down and when I went back in to make sure he was ok, I saw that 1 front paw looked very swollen and he had bald spots on his front and back paw. I notices the last week, alot of fur on the ground so he is prob stressed and over grooming and has bald spots. Not sure if he hurt his paw this morning from jumping and landing or within the last 3 weeks indoors. I'm so upset and angry and I don't know what to do. We need something to calm him down and vets won't give anything ahead of time. I left a long message for the vet asst, i I was in tears while leaving a message, for the vet asst this morning explaining that he needs medical attn and we just can't catch him. I just called to make sure they got my message and the vet asst didn't seem to care that we are having trouble catching him and that he needs medical attn. I'm about to give up bc we just took 5000 steps back, in trust, with him. He was very scared and literally jumped across the room and landed hard several times which might have hurt his paw and not sure if he is in pain.