Royal Canin

kittycat26

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What's your take on Royal Canin wet & dry foods?

Krienze

Officially a cat lady now. No regrets.
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm very skeptical about the brand, to be honest with you. I briefly considered it because of an anxiety formula they have but quickly changed my mind.

We feed ours Solid Gold for dry. We switched for a bit but... we're going back as the cats do much better on SG.

mxphs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It seems to be the standard for most pet owners I talk to. Everyone knows it and everyone seems to feed their cat or dog royal canin. I'm OK with it, I have tried the super premium brands for my cat like Ziwi Peak but Humphrey just won't eat it. I've heard super mixed reviews about cats wanting to actually finish it despite the ingredients being A+

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Royal Canin Digest Sensitive Loaf In Sauce Cat Food Review
What's your take on Royal Canin wet & dry foods?
Here's an example of thier dry food:

I guess people buy it because of the name. Same with science diet. Canned is not as bad but has brewers dried yeast,corn,wheat gluten,carrageenan

Last edited:

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m aware of all the sceptisism but have fed Phoebe the Anallergenic for years, since she started losing weight again on the hypoallergenic. She does very well on it. I wish I hadn’t let Daisy eat it, she stacked on so much weight. Mostly I wish it wasn’t so damned expensive!!!

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat Peaches is 100% healthy but I am having a hard time finding a food she won't throw up. Right now the food that's working is daves naturals healthy and nutritious. If it ends up being that rc is the only food that works so be it. She is only 7 pds so I worry if she misses meals. Then she's not getting enough calories. Though all those starches might not be good for her

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My anecdote will differ from most of the above, but I fed my cat the Royal Canin W/D (weight & digestive health) dry food for several years of his life.

I have had to change his food multiple times, after he develops intolerances to it and starts vomiting a lot. So I don't feed him that food anymore. I also switched to 75% wet, 25% dry since then (and the dry component is Hills brand now, not RC anymore).

But settling on the RC W/D at first was a process. It wasn't just the first food I selected. I went through a lot, and my vet and I settled on that brand early on because my cat had digestive issues, and tolerated that brand better than the several others we tried.

We used 100% dry food at first, because it was all he would eat. He was an abandoned cat that we think definitely came from other humans, and he would absolutely not touch wet food. It took me years to get him on wet food.

The RC W/D food did help to control his digestive issues while he was on it. He tolerated it much better than the several other kinds of dry food we tried in his early life.

For timeframe reference, he was on RC W/D from around age 1 (when I found him) to about age 5. He is currently 10, and eating mostly wet food.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I have giving RC rabbit (wet and dry) to both Artie and now Geoffrey. Yes, it is what the Vets recommend, but both cats had/have IBD and G with also SCL. It seems to be the food that they can tolerate the best.

It is not one which I would give them if they were healthy, but.....
Actually, food is so confusing, that I am unsure that there is a really healthy food out there.

zoes

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think... it has its place. Some of their products seem to fulfill their stated intention. I would never choose to feed it unless there was a medical reason to that I couldn't address through other cat foods. The ingredients don't look good to me at all, and when asked, no vet has ever been able to explain to me why it's good when they recommend it to me.

Mind you, I am heavily biased against RC because I find it unethical how much vets push it without even seeming to know why.